Who needs Egypt when......

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Who needs Egypt when......

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Who needs to go to Egypt etc when it is soooo hot in the UK? I thought last Friday was hot at 30-35c but today is even hotter! The streets are virtually deserted. It reminds me of Egypt during Ramadan! Too hot to eat, let alone cook. What’s it like where you are, weather wise?

FABlux

Re: Who needs Egypt when......

Post by FABlux »

Its 40C here today but I wanted to garden so got out there at 7a.m. this morning & it was only 17C! Ramped up pretty rapidly though :a65:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, I know what you mean, Fablux. I was out in the garden before 5am and it was still dark but cool! The heat built up very quickly once the sun came up though! Is this the month when most of France goes on holiday? Do you have to do a lot of forward planning regarding shopping etc?
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

It is normally holiday season but not sure what will happen this year. The campsite in the village is open but probably only half the normal number of people in it. Roads are not very busy either although there are quite a few Dutch reg plates around and we are seeing a few more GB plates, I think they are mostly second homers coming down.

No problem at all with shopping, there haven't been any shortages (apart from no gin one week at the very beginning of lockdown :o ) Never any queues, like most Brits we tend to shop lunch times in the supermarkets because the French never do, so they are pretty empty. We have a village store which stocks a very wide range of things, but does close 12.30 to 3 but is open until 7. Inevitably they are quite expensive in comparison to the supermarket but saves a 28km round trip and we want to support them and their fruit & veg is very good quality. The baker closed and so they increased their range of bakery products & will always take orders. They also do a really nice rotisserie chicken on a Saturday, again you have to order them now, before Covid & especially in the summer they usually cooked a few spares but with less people around they don't now.

Are you still having shortages and queues at the shops? Our son has always used Ocada for home deliveries and still does as they prefer to avoid the shops if possible.

We are due back for 2 weeks in September but not at all sure about it at the moment. Not going if we will have to spend it in quarantine! Do you plan any sort of holiday this year?

Wow I thought 7 was early but before 5 :o Went up to 42 this afternoon, still 31C at 11p.m.!
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I’m usually up before 5am - I don’t sleep well! The queues in the supermarkets seem to have largely sorted themselves out now, according to DH. He’s the one who does all the shopping. There don’t appear to be any shortages either. Fortunately, we are 10 minutes walk from the town.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I'm the opposite, 5am is my sleeping time. My problem is going to sleep, normally if I'm still awake by 2 I get up for a bath for an hour & then finally go to sleep, or else I wake at 2 for 2 - 3 hours.
Glad DH is finding shopping OK now.
Another scorcher today, how is it everywhere else?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Another hot one here today. I forced myself to iron some quilt binding this morning but that’s as far as it went! How on earth do people work in the heat, I wonder? Unless they have air conditioning, of course. No point in taking ourselves out for a drive either, because a lot of people are going back to work tomorrow, so the roads will be hell on earth tonight with everyone trying to get home! We definitely have a North/South divide, weather wise.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Ironing in that heat you must have really needed that quilt binding!
Temp dropped a bit here but horribly humid with the threat of thunderstoms but not actually getting them.