Booms

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Booms

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Have had a few storms a bit ago and a log boom broke. Since I've often talked about and showed photos of how cluttered our beaches are with logs this is a photo (not taken by me) of a bundle of what got washed up. This is an intact bundle and since it is within easy reach there has been lots of warning about leaving this alone 'til it can be recovered properly as being bundled it is worth a sizeable chunk of change
68988311_10162046811285305_6788222534614515712_o[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Booms

Post by Grandad »

LLL, how did a log bundle like that get into the water in the first place?
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

A "Faller" cuts the tree down and bucks off the branches. A "Chockerman" then runs out from the Yarder pulling the heavy cable lines and puts them around the tree. The Yarder may have to pull the tree into position for flight as now a Sikorsky helicopter will then however and the Chockerman will attach the log to the helicopter and it will then fly the log to water and drop it. The guys on the Boom boats which are quite tiny and ALL motor then group them into booms. Once they get enough logs for a boom they'll surround the boom with logs that are nailed and chained together into a large floating island that a Tug will take to wherever they're going to be loaded onto barges or ships.

There are logging trucks still running too in which case it'll take the logs and dump them into the water for a boom as well.

It is quite a production from living tree to being on a ship or barge.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow LLL. I didn't know all that stuff, thanks for explaining :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sometimes I really do NOT like spell check...…...never noticed but it is C H O K E MAN (not chockerman - geez).

You RUN (and really those guys do run) on the CHOKE line......High mortality rate on those too. All of logging is fraught with accidents so much so all Companies are (were - I'm not sure of current rules & regs) required to have a Medic on site.

I should also say the trucks they use to get the logs out of the bush are too big to drive on a regular road. The guys need ladders to get UP there. Even the tires are taller and bigger than a regular person. The trucks are actually quite impressive.