Another phone scam

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Another phone scam

Post by Horus »

Please be aware of a new scam by people phoning about BT broadband and telling you that the company is BT Outreach and they are splitting the company and they wish to offer you a better contract. Basically it is a phishing exercise for personal and bank details and they are very persistent often phoning back again and sometimes with female callers, they are sounding very convincing but it is a scam, often the phone line is still left connected at their end so don’t use it straight away to phone your bank or BT to ask them about it as you will still be talking to the scammers who will intercept the call. :vs .

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Another phone scam

Post by Grandad »

For Scam read Scum :xx

That's for the heads up H :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

All the scams seem never ending
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:Please be aware of a new scam by people phoning about BT broadband and telling you that the company is BT Outreach and they are splitting the company and they wish to offer you a better contract. Basically it is a phishing exercise for personal and bank details and they are very persistent often phoning back again and sometimes with female callers, they are sounding very convincing but it is a scam, often the phone line is still left connected at their end so don’t use it straight away to phone your bank or BT to ask them about it as you will still be talking to the scammers who will intercept the call. :vs .

I never give my house number, but started to get people calling me because like a fool I was using it for outgoing calls and people could see the number. :a17:

Well, having got that sorted out and rarely answering the calls on the house phone because I can't get to it in time I started to use a cordless link. If I answered I only said Hallo and if a cold caller started the script I interupted by saying please do not call this number again. Just that. The new thing is I answer and there's no sound, so if I put the phone down and ring out as Horus describes then it could be expensive. So I keep my line open but put the phone down and go back to it later when I can hear the buzz indicating the line is now free. It's working very well cold calls are now less that one a day, before sometimes up to 4 an hour! :up
Smile! It confuses people
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Scammers are getting more sophisticated aren't they? Not being fluent French speakers we just get very "English" when we get cold calls and under French law they are not allowed to try to sell to us :D

In the UK for persistent cold callers I used to keep a whistle by the phone & blow it very hard, that worked!