Basically crabby

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Basically crabby

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Was out on a walkabout today. Went down to the beach and then over to the docks. Was rather overcast but I think that made it better for taking photos.

In the shallows by the shore today there were dozens if not hundreds of little crabs. Most herded away as soon as the shadow crossed the water but this guy opted to stand his ground.....

Came across these next. I believe they're two washed in jelly fish and were right at the lower tide line. HUGE compared to what is usually seen. We have millions of jelly fish but usually they small and pulsing in the shallows. Got to look up about these guys cause they were really quite big and reddish -

Old trees growing out of the jagged outcropping of volcanic rock

Walked over to the docks which were quite buzzing with all the crabbing going on -

Lots of different style crab traps and techniques. Most bated with chicken parts. Strict measurements and if not large enough the crabs have to go back into the chuck.

This guy was keeping quite a watch on all the crabs getting thrown back in. Not sure if he was actually scavenging them or just paddling along and trying for a handout

One of the older crab boats loaded down with old old traps that have seen better days -

This is a new addition to the front of the dock area.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Basically crabby

Post by Horus »

Once again another nice little insight into life in your area LLL, we all have a unique heritage that we can share with each other and your little beach forays are equally as interesting to us Brits as I am sure our castles are to you. A nice set of photos, I reckon those jelly fish maybe 'Lions Manes', but not 100% sure.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great guess at the name H - Lion's Mane Jellyfish. Given the info from Wikipedia I'm guessing you're correct. These two were huge. I did turn one over with my foot and the underside had nothing on it other than gravel and grit but who knows it could have had a real mass of trailing arms. The photo of the jellyfish on Wiki is a clone of what I saw today too.......good identification H! :)

AS per Wiki - "The lion's mane jellyfish (Cyanea capillata), also known as hair jelly,[1] is the largest known species of jellyfish. Its range is confined to cold, boreal waters of the Arctic, northern Atlantic, and northern Pacific Oceans, seldom found farther south than 42°N latitude. Similar jellyfish, which may be the same species, are known to inhabit seas near Australia and New Zealand. The largest recorded specimen found, washed up on the shore of Massachusetts Bay in 1870, had a bell (body) with a diameter of 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) and tentacles over 120 feet (37 m) long.[2] Lion's mane jellyfish have been observed below 42°N latitude for some time—specifically in the larger bays of the east coast of the United States.

While the lion's mane jellyfish generally use their stinging tentacles to prey, there is one dangerous variable that works against them. Sea anemones can capture their tentacles, which then become hopelessly tangled, torn apart and consumed.[3]

Although capable of attaining a bell diameter of 2.5 metres (8.2 ft)[citation needed], these jellyfish can vary greatly in size; those found in lower latitudes are much smaller than their far northern counterparts with bell about 50 centimetres (20 in) in diameter. The tentacles of larger specimens may trail as long as 30 metres (98 ft) or more. These extremely sticky tentacles are grouped into eight clusters, each cluster containing over 100 tentacles,[4] arranged in a series of rows.

At 120 feet (37 m) in length, the largest known specimen was longer than a blue whale and is considered one of the longest known animals in the world.[2] This title, however, may be contested: in 1864, a bootlace worm (Lineus longissimus) was found washed up on a Scottish shore that was 180 feet (55 m). But because bootlace worms can easily stretch to several times their natural length, it is possible the worm did not actually grow to be that length.

The bell is divided into eight lobes. An ostentatiously tangled arrangement of colorful arms emanates from the centre of the bell, much shorter than the silvery, thin tentacles which emanate from the bell's subumbrella.

Size also dictates coloration – larger specimens are a vivid crimson to dark purple while smaller specimens grade to a lighter orange or tan. These jellyfish are named for their showy, trailing tentacles reminiscent of a lion's mane.

Ecology[edit source]

A coldwater species, this jellyfish cannot cope with warmer waters. The jellyfish are pelagic for most of their lives but tend to settle in shallow, sheltered bays towards the end of their one-year lifespan. In the open ocean, lion's mane jellyfish act as floating oases for certain species, such as shrimp, medusafish, butterfish, harvestfish, and juvenile prowfish, providing both a reliable source of food and protection from predators[citation needed].

Predators of the lion's mane jellyfish include seabirds, larger fish such as Ocean sunfish, other jellyfish species, and sea turtles.[5] The Leatherback sea turtle feeds almost exclusively on them in large quantities during the summer season around Eastern Canada.[6] The jellyfish themselves feed mostly on zooplankton, small fish, ctenophores, and moon jellies.[7] and on and on.........."
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I agree with Horus, it is good to hear about others' localities, customs (Kiyas blackening :lol: ) etc.

We have man made pools at some local coastal towns that become accessible when the tide recedes. They are a haven for crabs and the kids use a line with a piece of bacon tied on the end and go 'fishing for crabs' when the crabs grab the bacon. They tend to be small and are put back but it is all good innocent fun for the kids. :lol:

Thanks for sharing LLL :up
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL nice mixture of pics :) .........I can smell the fishiness from here ;) :) I especially like your 2nd last pic with ropes & reflection :)