ANOTHER NEW CAMERA

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

ANOTHER NEW CAMERA

Post by Grandad »

I mentioned on another thread that I was looking for a new pocket compact camera. My little Fuji V10 is over 6 years old and although still functioning perfectly it is becoming very out of date. It has only a 5mp sensor and 3.4 optical zoom and very little in the way of controls.

My brief was to find something for about £100, live viewfinder if possible, a good optical zoom, manual control option, Li-on battery, and probably Fuji as most of my digital cameras have been Fuji and all have served me well.

Checking availability it soon became evident that live viewfinders have pretty well become extinct even in cameras costing several hundred pounds. I also soon found that as camera technology is moving on so fast, I was likely to find a good bargain if happy to have a model that had been out for about a year. Such was the case when I decided on the Fuji F660EXR which was about £220 when released a year ago and I paid £100 including p&p.

The specification is impressive and these are the main features that appealed to me:
16mp cmos EXR sensor. 15x optical zoom extended to 30x with ‘inteligent digital’ zoom. Macro to 5cm. 1080 HD video. (I rarely use video but this has many options for frame rate and I took a short clip of a dripping tap at 320fps with amazing results. Very small frame size but an interesting feature) Up to 11fps continuous still images at reduced 8mp. Full manual control. HDMI output. Up to 360 degree auto panorama. There is a lot more but it shows how Fuji camera technology has moved on in 6 years. It has a diecast body and the neatest set of control dials and buttons.

Although sunny yesterday it was very hazy so the pictures below are just to check out the zoom, not for any photographic merit. Hand held, untouched.

Widest 4.4mm end approx = 24mm on 35mm format. There is a Union Flag middle horizon.

66mm = 15x

15x + x2 digital = x30

I chose red and this is what the camera looks like. Only just over 4" long.

I hope to get an opportunity soon to try some proper pictutres. ;)

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: ANOTHER NEW CAMERA

Post by Horus »

You can't go far wrong with that camera for the price you paid, it is always worth looking on the Fuji Shop website as they often offer up 'refurbished' cameras at a good price if you are looking for a good camera at a cheaper price. Bare in mind that refurbished does not mean 'used' as such, very often they are returned for a common fault typical for the camera in question and are checked over by their service departement in Bedford and then re-sold with original packing at a reduced price. Some people actually prefer this to buying new as they consider that the one they get will have been thoroughly checked whereas production models rarely are. I only mention this as sometimes the savings are quite good and if available (no stock of F660EXR at the moment) it can be purchsed for £85.00 and you get the same warranty as a new one. Not all the refurbs work out cheaper though, for example the XS-1 was being offered at around the same price on Amazon.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I think that's good quality pictures for that wee camera :) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't quite get your point H? I had said elsewhere that I was looking for a new compact and this was just an update on what I bought......what that has to do with refurbs escapes me :?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think Horus's post was aimed at numptys like me, Grandad! :D I have to admit that a few years ago I got a good deal on an Epson printer and that was from Epson themselves though. I'd paid £250 for a top of the range printer and it only lasted me a couple of years, so when it went I phoned Epson and they sold me a later model which was refurbished (and would take the same inks as my previous one) for £60! Pleased wasn't quite the word! I know absolutely nothing about cameras so I would probably make the mistake of thinking that a new one was better than a refurbished. Thanks for the heads up, Horus. Grandad, those photos are superb and I can't believe they came from a camera of that price! :o You did well there! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you understood what I was saying Ruby, I didn’t think it was so unclear, my point was:

1. New cameras are sent back to manufacturers for many reasons.

2. Many are purchased from people like Amazon and elsewhere and returned as unsuitable by the buyer.

3. Some cameras have known problems that can occur and suppliers simply exchange the camera for another without further investigation.

4. All returned Fuji cameras are checked over and remedied by Fuji in Bedford, all in warranty or payable repairs (if out of warranty) are carried out there.

5. The camera is still new, but now termed refurbished and sold again in original packaging at 25% to 30% cheaper with full makers warranty.

I was merely pointing out the availability to other people and it was not directed at you in particular, it may have no interest to yourself as you have already bought yours, but to other people it might be. They can pick up the same Fuji cameras for (usually) less money and once out of the box they will never know the difference, should they wish to avail themselves of this information is entirely up to them.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Way to go GRANDAD and RED!!! Wooo HOOOO!! :) :) :) Getting real snazzy in the colour of the camera department!

Sounds exactly perfect! I know what you mean about having a small camera the goes out of date. I replace an older point and shoot Nikon with a Coolpix (was refurbished) 3100 for super cheap BUT with much better zoon, mp etc. AND it is super small and light which lets me take it around and carry it in my purse all the time.

The actual photos look pretty good to me too - just wait 'til the sun comes out (although I'm almost given up on that happening here) as then you'll be able to share some really good photos with us!

;) ;) ;) RED :) :) :) Must be a man thing! ;)

BTW - In your first photo - do you know what they're preparing the field for? Sure looks like it has been really turned over well. Can you imagine or remember when we were out there doing it by hand?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:;) ;) ;) RED :) :) :) Must be a man thing! ;)
Well LLL, it always seems that anything electronic has to be black......so I fancied a change and I really like it ;)

I don't know about the field, they had just deep plowed it to turn any old stubble down deep. They will harrow it shortly I expect and then sow either cereal or rape.

I am very pleased with the zoom capability and, as you said, small enough to keep in your pocket. I still love my Nikon but tend to use that for specific subjects and fit the appropriate lens and avoid carrying a heavy camera bag. I very often fit my 35mm f1.8 lens because I like getting right back to basics. :)

Any pictures from Mexico yet? We are waiting patiently ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Pictures of Mexico - welllllllll - as part of the continuing bad luck associated with that trip - prior to my leaving I broke the space bar key on my GOOD laptop. Since here on the island it takes FOREVER to get a part to have something fixed I figured I'd take it back to the States (I still go back to where I lived and will leave for holidays from there) get it fixed during the two weeks I'd be gone, use my small laptop while in Mexico and when I got back my laptop would be fixed and I'd be good to go.

Firstly my small laptop got left at the Security checkout at the airport. Was able to recover it but not for a couple days after I returned. In the intermin on my return I went and picked up my GOOD laptop brought it home, happily downloaded all my photos (TERRIFIC one of a darn PELICAN!) and erased them off my camera. I think found out that whilst the keyboard was replaced - NOW the Z,?,/ and none of the number keys worked. This necessitated a return trip to the repair shop where most of the workers were away dying from this flu plague. Long story short I'm in Canada with an old loaner laptop pending I go back to the USA in another month or two to pick up my GOOD laptop!! UGH!!

So - even I don't have my Mexico photos as I erased them, never got them on my little laptop and my GOOD laptop is a couple hundred miles away in another country waiting 'til I get back down there OR a friend comes here to visit me and brings it back to me........ :( All round this last foray into the USA was nothing other than a comedy of errors. If it could go wrong it definitely DID!

And I had to return quickly to Canada pending the daughter have baby #3 who IS taking their own sweet time to arrive and meet all of us (actually her due date is one more week.)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I remember your story LLL but thought perhaps all was now resolved......not so......we will just have to wait for the penguin picture. :lol: :lol:

Best wishes to daughter for a safe delivery.......brother or sister to the twins????

We are a patient lot and, who knows, we might even get a piccie of new grandchild. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well since I'm babysitting the twins tonight it would be awfully convenient of her to have the new baby tonight! ;) ;) BUT methinks we'll all just have to wait one more week. They don't know if it is a boy or girl - yet.......pictures WILL be forthcoming once the event takes place ;) ;) :)