New Camera

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: New Camera

Post by Horus »

I have not actually purchased the new one yet and have been swinging between all the options and procrastinating far too much over which one to buy. I have the money burning a hole in my pockets and believe it or not I have even purchased another SDHC card and a case that should fit either camera, so I suppose I should just make the decision to buy it and have done. I am coming down strongly on the side of the X-S1 although it has gone up in price a little, but I think that’s because some previous offers were older stock that maybe had not had the new sensor fitted, so I am not too put out by that. I seem to be spending money like water at the moment and with the (hopefully) better weather coming I want to get a new pressure washer as everywhere needs a good clean after the dreary Winter and cold weather of last year, so I keep looking at other things and projects that I have on the go and ordering the camera keeps getting put on the back burner. I have also been trying to come up with a very accurately controlled slider rail to do some Macro photography work, so that is taking up some of my time and I have just completed this project as a favour for a mate of mine who is heavily into radio amateur stuff, not CB, I only call it that to annoy him.

Hopefully when he gets back from China at the weekend we can power it up and he will write the software for the controllers that drive the stepper motors and then the whole thing will work remotely from a laptop and avoid some laborious tuning to their ariels that they have to do when using their radios. As you say it has been quiet on here lately, but that’s pretty normal for this site, I look in throughout the day then usually toddle off and find something else interesting to do.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Scoring 100% today...........BANNED and BARRED from viewing your photo H :( :( :( Actually "NOT AUTHORIZED" is the term used

BTW H - I do hope the money that is burning a hole is NOT in a back pocket that is 'smoking'!! :P :P

I've bought a cheapy lens from China that will be delivered to friend in the USA that I'm hoping will give me some opportunities with macro shots. I do like real close up pictures AND real close up photos are about my own personal speed these days :) SLOW :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I agree H that these decisions should be carefully considered and not made in haste. I also agree that our 'toys' have to be part of all of our expenditure and not just selfish whims.

That last comment is directed at myself and as I have a little story to tell in that respect i will open another thread and not clutter your thread with my sad tale. :lol: :lol:

That project looks interesting. I recognised the step motors and the condensers....is that some sophisticated radio tuning device? Looks pretty high tech mechanics and electronics. :up
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes it is a very sophisticated tuning device that will be computer controlled, I have just finished designing, making and fitting up all the stepper motor drives and support metalwork to the front of the box, these will drive the condensers to extremely accurate positions than could be achieved manually. The rest of it is still in a basic mock up state until it is all tested out, but the drives could be finalised although they are actually well oversized for the job, but you can see here by the smaller hole pattern that I have made provision for fitting the smaller ones when they arrive from China.

LLL, I have added this other image to see if you can view this one or not as all the other images in the last few threads were in peoples personal albums, but this one is not.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW- now the last 2 photos of yours I can see.........sooooo IF the photo is in somebodies personal album I'm not see it but if in the general gallery I can........??? GHEESH!!

And - on another note your makings look pretty sophisticated to me H. You're thinking on a way higher up level than me.

I do like the idea though of a slide mechanism for taking macro shots. That one is a real brainwave and what makes it even more impressive is that on hear of it I can see me (or a photographer like me) using something like this myself.