CHRISTMAS SCAM?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

CHRISTMAS SCAM?

Post by Grandad »

I received a warning today from a trusted friend about a scam that is going around finding gullible people at this time of year.

I don't know if it is a genuine scam or not but 'Forewarned is Forearmed'.

"A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate
number).

*DO NOT call this number*, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £315 for the phone call".

This number would only apply in the UK but there may be other numbers in other parts of the world.......Be on your guard folks.......

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks for the timely warning Grandad :)
I did do a search just to see if it was genuine or not and it seems to be an old scam that was closed down in 2005. So although I doubt if it is relevant today and may just be another resurrection of an old "pass it on" type email that sometimes does the rounds, it is however just as well to be on your guard in any event, especially around Christmas time.

The way I tend to look at it is any carrier that has not delivered, other than Royal Mail, (who always leave a card telling you to collect) will have to re-deliver as they do not get paid unless the goods arrive at your home, that is why they usually try to leave it with a neighbor so as to avoid having to come to your home again. :)

But a good reminder in any event for people to be on their toes for potential scams. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for the follow up Horus :) :)

As I said, I didn't know if it was genuine or not but as you say, it is perhaps a timely warning of the sort of tricks some of these lowlifes stoop to particularly at Christmas time.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks for the warning Grandad :D we just cannot be 100% sure nowadays, like Horus says I usually have a card saying to collect
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks for the warning Grandad. Every time I read one it just makes me more aware or keeps me continually aware to be on my guard.

Speaking of scams my gf and she said she was at home and on her computer. She got a phone call from a fellow claiming to be from her internet service and he wanted the password to her computer. She stated that he was very convincing in his story of woe and how her internet had been compromised and told me that while she didn't give him anything she was really tempted to as this fellow sounded real official with a legitimate concern.

My warning and my rule for me is to never give out any info to anybody, at least, without independently checking first. I've never known a legitimate business to have to phone me and ask for anything however the number of businessmen and Crown Princes and Refugee Dictators who want me to manage their fortune is astronomical.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is essential to remember that NO reputable organisation will ever ask for personal details over the phone and you should never give them. A common credit card scam is for someone who sounds very plausible to phone you who says that they are from your bank, they say that they have monitored some suspicious activity on your card, but ………………… they have stopped it before any money was taken and of course you sigh with relief. This very reassuring person then tells you not to worry and you have incurred no loss due to the banks vigilance and his phone call is to only to inform you and to put your mind at rest. Some more casual conversation takes place including him giving you his name and contact number at the bank, just in case you need to contact him.

Usually at the end of the conversation just as you are about to put down the phone, they quickly ask you “oh before I forget, can you just confirm the three digit code on the back of your card?” but they do not quote one to you to confirm. Most people do not realise the reverse logic of this question and having the card in their hand will just turn it over and blurt it out without thinking and that is all the conman needs! They already have your credit card number by whatever dubious means they obtained it, but now they have your security pin to go with it and can happily spend online using your card number. So beware they are very slick and plausible and in your relief at being told they have it all in hand you may let your guard slip. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

My son Roy had something similar happen to him a fw weeks ago, a recorded message on his mobile saying someone in Ireland had been trying to withdraw money from his account, the message continued saying the amounts of £17 3 times & 1 amount of £47, not big sums of money but furiating at the same time just the thought of it!! it went on to say to reply to this message giving details of his card/account bla bla.

Thankfully he didn't do anything & after telling me I thought of it far to suspicious, too much detail & in no circumstances would a bank do such a thing of a recorded message.

After a meeting at the bank we were told it was a scam reared its ugly head again & doing the rounds.

Thankfully everything was fine with Roy's account/
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Good for you in taking the time to think it through, :) even if you do suspect it may be genuine for whatever reasons, just sit back, think about it and phone your bank by looking up the local branch number in the phone book, never respond by using any phone number you are given. Always assume that someone contacting you in this way is more likely to be a scammer than a genuine caller, it is so easy to just say thanks and hang up, then ring your bank directly. :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I almost fell for a Paypal scam a while back.

I sold a netbook on ebay for £120. I got the usual ebay notifications of the sale. I had requested payment via Paypal which has some level of security attaching to their transactions.

I then received an email from 'Paypal' advising that the funds for the sale were being held in a suspense account and would be released to my account as soon as the item had been delivered. It recommended posting with proof of delivery. The email looked absolutely genuine and similar to other Paypal notifications that I had previously received but none for a suspense account.

Thankfully ebay were on the ball and notified me that it was a scam and I should not post the item. Another hour and I probably would have posted.....
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Glad you were lucky there Grandad, :) we should all remember that these people are very clever and can replicate very official looking websites and letter headings, so better safe than sorry, just be as suspicious as you like its your money at stake! No legitimate organisation will be upset by providing you with proof, or that you are attempting to verify that they are genuine, especially your bank.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I sometimes worry that even by being diligent now we are so reliant on cyberspace for most everything we could lose the family fortune before we know it. The scammers are getting even better and identity theft is definitely on the rise here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Off to the bank this morning to get all my cash and put it under the mattress.

I will be happier with it there and it will certainly be safer. :)))
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And get more interest Grandad. :)
bigken

Post by bigken »

Grandad wrote:Off to the bank this morning to get all my cash and put it under the mattress.

I will be happier with it there and it will certainly be safer. :)))
But you will need ladders just to get on the bed 8)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Am thinking the safest place money can be these days is in a tin can buried in the backyard.