So, What's Occurring????

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

So, What's Occurring????

Post by Grandad »

So, what's occurring????
No I didn't watch Gavin and Stacey over Christmas, after 10 years of absence, was it really wise to try to bring back that very funny comedy series? Twenty something's that are now thirty something's don't have the same youthful exuberance....
I took a break from E4U for a couple of months. There seemed to be little on here to chat about and as I had not much to add, I withdrew for a while. I have found that most forums seem to be suffering the same malaise, not least L4U.
And really; is the weather all that we can talk about??? I think we should take a leaf out of MD's book and just accept it as it is as, it seems, the good people of Cardiff do.......
I have very little to say at this point but I did think that one of my three resolutions should be to get back here and talk to old friends. I read a post on L4U where the poster commented that on E4U it is more like a family group. I like that.
So, you may ask, what are my other resolutions? Well I was confirmed type 2 diabetic about a year ago. One of the things that I could do to help with this condition is to lose some weight. I have done nothing drastic but have gradually lost a little and that now adds up to 16 pounds so my objective is to lose at least that much again by Christmas THIS year.
My third resolution for New Year 2020 is to still be around and to make more resolutions for New Year 2021.
Here's to a Happy Healthy and Prosperous 2020 friends one and all...... :up :up

:gg:
FABlux

Re: So, What's Occurring????

Post by FABlux »

Well done Grandad, that is an impressive overall weight loss. Happy New Year
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have recently heard that a regime named The Blood Sugar Diet can actually cure the diabetes, Grandad. Might be worth a look!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well done on the weight Grandad I'm very impressed. :up

I bought a ramp yesterday, hoping to get Bertie the scooter out at last.
Smile! It confuses people
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Well Done on your weight loss...........May it continue ...Good Luck :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad That is a pretty decent weight loss. Good on you for losing it slowly too as when you lose fast IMO the weight sometimes rebounds. Dropping weight does help with diabetes and high blood pressure too.

Christmas here was kinda busy and kinda not. Didn't help that I entered the festive season with an unwelcome visitor who I thought left and has now rebounded back. I spend my days carrying around a box of Kleenex as my primary activity is blowing my nose and sleeping in my chair under a blanket feeling cold. Definitely hope this cold/flu/whatever leaves soon. Has definitely worn out its welcome with me.

The Crew (grandkids) are back to school come Monday and will be starting all their regular activities but the twins will be doing a one afternoon class "Home Alone" as they've now reached the age where they could be left alone for an hour. They're pretty level headed but them getting this class might give them some extra hints or tips that parents haven't thought about.

I've spent lots of time staring out my back window for the Swans who were floating out on the Marsh Christmas day but I'm pretty certain they've left. The water in the Marsh if very high so I'm rather wondering if they were able to reach all the dead reeds/weeds they eat? I'm speculating beavers have built a dam somewhere in it which is raising water levels. I doubt anything will be done until the school yard starts to flood if the water continues to rise that high.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I got ready to go out on new scooter - then found that the new ramp was very heavy and will have to be returned. Helpful staff at the showroom and a helpful taxi driver, meant I wasn't prepared for how heavy it is - so back to the drawing board. Unfortunately I can't leave it in situ as it has to be put on the actual pavement out side my house. The drop is 2 cms to much otherwise. It's a very narrow pavement and would be a safety hazard if left.

I'm trying to make a small achievement every day and yesterday I walked upstairs "leg over leg"! Our Victorian stairs are very steep with 8 inch treads, so my heel overhangs a bit and doesn't feel very stable. Usually I crawl - I can manage pretty well even with a basket of washing going up humping the basket forward 2 steps at a time, coming down I have net bags and a couple of those elasticated retaining strap thing with hooks on that I don't know the name of. :oops: I secure them round the item to be lowered and gently let it down, or sometimes up - I've moved chairs and boxes and all sorts of things like that, but I do really feel the time has come to stop living by myself mostly confined to the house in an area where I have no old friends or back up.

So, Inshallah next month my artist friend and I are off to Ibiza for a week or two starting to ferry my "stuff" out. :jig:

I need distraction today as the gout in my right foot is making it's presence felt, what shall I do? Clay modelling, painting, stencilling or tackling paperwork? :tk
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

My GD sent me a message yesterday to ask if she could come over today to do some homework involving sewing. It was making hair scrunchies out of old socks. She managed one but I made her do it all herself - even down to cutting and ironing the sock! I think it was a bit of waffle on her part though, because I really can't see a teacher expecting the whole class to have access to a sewing machine, can you? I think she watches too much YouTube, although I really can't fault her for wanting to do craftwork!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My youngest daughter who is holidaying in Rio went to see the Sugar Loaf mountain with her friends this week. There is a cable car to the top, which she expected to take, but somehow ended up climbing it wearing borrowed gear which included shoes which didn't fit!

As she said "It's only about 400ft, but pretty sheer. I haven't climbed for ages and I wasn't expecting this though I really enjoyed it but my fingers and toes are rather sore. I chickened out and took the cable car back down" :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

OMG "climbing!" YIKES - even when I was young and in my prime I never climbed unless absolutely necessary. I even think about stepping up one step onto the step stool ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I suffer from vertigo too, LLL.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My father said he had vertigo, looking down from a height made him want to jump. I thought vertigo made you feel dizzy and unbalanced - is that so?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Swans on the marsh again today. It is snowing heavy here so maybe they just stopped in the nearest water hole so as to not have to fly through a blizzard. Hopefully I'll see them again tomorrow. I counted around 6 or 7 of them - hard to get an accurate count when I'm seeing them through the trees.

Snowed all morning but late this afternoon it warmed up enough for the snow to turn to rain and washed away all the snow. Now fingers crossed it doesn't freeze.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A few says ago the light on the landing failed. I checked it out and it was the actual transformer in the fitting that had given up the ghost.
Ordered a replacement from Dunelm which I installed yesterday. I have always been completely capable of taking on any DIY job around the home. However yesterday, standing on a tall set of steps with the added difficulty of seeing the cable colours has made me accept that I shall have to call on tradesmen in future.
Giving up driving was very hard but to have to concede that I can no longer do DIY jobs is even harder.
Especially when over the years I have built the extension to my home, installed new kitchens and bathrooms for us and the family. Installed full central heating and various electrical and plumbing jobs, and even made furniture.
It is SO tough that I can't do that any more. BUT, as I say to my wife, 'I am now in my 86th year so I still have much to be thankful for'
Saturday morning 'Feeling sorry for myself' over. Have a great weekend everyone.
:up :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

You can give me 8 years Grandad and you have been an inspiration to me. I am having a great weekend.
I nearly deleted the following, as I do most of what I write but decided against it, not quite sure why, so here goes.

I gave up driving because of the meds I take. That was eased by the fact that parking here is a nightmare. :up
Then it was mobility. Took a few years to get working knees back and I could walk a mile. :up

Then the feet decided it was their turn. I tore the three supporting tendons in my left foot about 30 years ago. Because I hadn't broken three bones and wasn't a footballer I got sympathy and no treatment from the medics. So that's now collapsed, but I could limp on it. :up

:tk My body had a think for a year then produced arthritis in every joint in my good foot. Bummer! But I could still use my hands and have time to do all the artwork that I've put on one side during my working life. :up

The latest challenge is two pronged - gout which I've had occasionally for over 50years in my hands/feet and a tremor. :tk This has led to research into new kinds of artwork that I can enjoy - currently stencilling, acrylic paint pouring and "slab" modelling all things that I would never have come across if I was fit and active. :up

But I realise that for all my need for independence as I can't get up from the floor by myself if I fall, wearing a radio alarm is not enough to give my loved ones peace of mind. As my daughter has, bless her made a place for me beside her house and WhatsApp's me several times a day, the time has come to accept the help I'm being offered. Who cares about Independence. I shall just be a nuisance rather than a burden. :lol:
BUT Inshallah I shall see my daughter and grandson every day, I shall have two dogs to enjoy. The weather is close to perfect and I will have a/c. and friends who visit, company if I want it.

My family will have more peace of mind about my well being and I'm quite capable of doing odd chores here and there. I'm hoping the warmth will be A Good Thing and I might be able to pick up a few of the actions I've had to give up.

How could I feel sorry for myself right now? Been there, hope never again. I really do know how lucky I am. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD, I am so glad that you didn't delete that and posted it. :up
We all have our crosses to bear, some a bit heavier than others, but we also have so much to be thankful for. We are just a small friendly group on here and I see nothing wrong in being honest with each other.
Tracing my family history opens windows on to what life was like in times past. Mostly life was hard but that was the way of things back then.
By comparison, we have never had it so good. ;) :up
I think it is wonderful that you will be relocating to Ibiza and your daughter sounds like someone very special.
:up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

5 Nations cup starts again today with Wales v Italy.

So not getting much done this afternoon. Thank goodness for the modern TV controls. Perfect for popping in and out and getting back in syc. for the second half.

Oh Rugby by :oops: the way.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
We got the message MD ;) Unfortunately we went out to lunch so my wife missed the singing at the start (she is half Welsh) and we only saw the last 20 minutes.
Well done to Wales but that was expected against Italy. I do feel sorry for Italy who play a decentgame but seldom get many points on the board. I think they need a new coach.
England have a tough one tomorrow against France particularly with the match away at Stade de France. But they should prevail :up :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Wales 42 - Italy 0 Very enjoyable, glad I'm not one of the 70,000 or so fans who were in the stadium and now trying to get home.

Cardiff is not very big, so weekend matches bring the place to a virtual stand-still as the fans arrive and leave.

Football fans tend to violence. Rugby fans don't, families go to big matches with their very small children carried on parent's shoulders as part of the experience. I wonder why the difference?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Same time tomorrow I think? :up