Suggestions please

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Suggestions please

Post by Grandad »

Most cheaper wine bottles now have screw caps but for ages I have kept cork or plastic stoppers in a large tub in my workshop. There are probably a couple of hundred.
Throwing another cork into the bin this morning and I thought, why do I keep these and perhaps I will ditch them. Before I do, has anyone got any suggestion for something useful or artistic that I could use them for?
I have already discounted making a raft and selling it to an immigrant to cross the channel
;) ;) :lol: :lol:
IMG_20200120_132840.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Suggestions please

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just 'Popped' in to say hello.
A few ideas instantly spring to mind:
Dangle some from your summer hat - Aussie outback style.
If you use wire garden supports, stick some to the top of the wires to help protect human or animals that might end up being accidentally speared by them.
Glue a load together and make yourself a bath mat.
My most practical idea is to offer them to a local craft group that might be able to use them. E.G. We have a group that works with adults with learning disabilities and they use all sorts of items to create different things. I don't know if they would use cork, but it's the sort of thing they probably would.

Actually, the internet has many, many ideas for recycling bottle corks. :wi :br :wi
Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@HEPZIBAH
Thanks for that Hepzi :up
I already have an Aussie Cork Hat :lol: :lol: and I think I will stick with our present shower mat. If I am at a loss as to what to do with them, I will investigate any local group that may have a use for them. :)
Just had a thought :tk Perhaps I could thread some together to make a hanging basket :tk I'll let you know about that ;)
Good to see you and a belated Happy New Year.......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've seen corks put into a frame to essentially make a stylized cork board. Problem is you need a deep frame to hold the corks and they do need gluing.

Aussie hat is one idea though however if you have one ..... hmmmmmm

I've never particularly made anything with corks but I know the daughter who is a Kindergarten teach is often looking for weird and wonderful objects for her class to use when they're creating their Masterpieces (easy to drop off at a local school is what I'm saying)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm undoubtedly a hoarder of Useful Boxes but Pringles sturdy tubes were OK for a few tools and pens but supply outstripped the demand. I have a sack full. :oops:

Now I shall ask the nearest play group and the infants school if they would like them for their projects.

Thank you.

My daughter can't bully me about them any more.
Smile! It confuses people
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Mad Dilys wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:23 am I'm undoubtedly a hoarder of Useful Boxes but Pringles sturdy tubes were OK for a few tools and pens but supply outstripped the demand. I have a sack full. :oops:

Now I shall ask the nearest play group and the infants school if they would like them for their projects.

Thank you.

My daughter can't bully me about them any more.
Recycling: Seven things you can do with a Pringles can
By Megan Fisher
BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39958705

I think we can assume that the 'carrier bag storage' is, or should be, now no longer of use.

I think that Kellogs (? hmm think they are the manufacturer) improved the Pringles packaging to make it more recyclable/sustainable but that would need me to spend longer searching on the net than I have time for at the moment.
-Aldous Huxley
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

There you go Cobbers! Now all I need are some flies to test it out and see if it works ;) :lol: :lol:
IMG_20200124_095328.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Hmmmm - looking rather (ummm) 'dapper'
HEPZIBAH
Top Member
Top Member

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Grandad, if you wear shorts, especially wide leg ones, you do also need to add some to the bottom hem. Prevention is better than the cure. :a80: :a2: :a21:
-Aldous Huxley
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

I am using lots of corks at the moment as we are packing up our Luxor home and moving most things to our French one. They are really useful on the prongs of tools, sharp objects, knives etc. I have currently run out and need one more for a wall mount which is sharp, guess we will have to buy another bottle of wine!