Goodbye cameras

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Goodbye cameras

Post by Grandad »

I have had an interest in cameras and taking pictures for around 70 years. I didn't quite start with a Brownie Box Camera but not much advanced from that. The first camera I remember was a Koroll bought in Boots the Chemists. I Googled it but could only find Bencini Koroll which is a different camera altogether.
Over the years I had many different cameras, the names of most escape me. I also used medium format 21/4 square that I still think is my favourite format.
I have also tried my hand at processing and printing and built my first enlarger by converting an old half plate camera. Darkrooms have ranged from the foot of an enclosed staircase, to a blacked out bathroom and even a proper darkromm with part of my garden room/workshop partitioned off. I did mono and colour developing, printing and enlarging; so over the years I did the whole range of photographic processes.
Until a few years ago I had 4 cameras in regular use. I disposed of 3 of them leaving just my Panasonic Lumix with 60x zoom. I have now put that on ebay to sell because I am having too much difficulty with conventional cameras due to the condition of my left eye.
So for the immediate future I shall just use my mobile phone with a selfie stick that works very well and I do have some optical zoom. With very short focus reading glasses I can do quite a lot of editing on the phone before downloading to my computer.
That then is where I am right now with picture taking that I have always enjoyed for so many years and it has been a long standing hobby. Goodbye conventional cameras, hello camera phone (My phone has 3 Leica cameras so I should still be able to get some quality images)

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Goodbye cameras

Post by Horus »

Yes Grandad we all have to move on at some time in our lives, I sometimes wonder how long I will keeo up certain hobbies and activities. As I said ealier I have been renovationg my front garden, in it are some large ornamental rocks that form features, but as I wanted to put weed supressing fabric down all over that area I wanted to move them all out of the way. A neighbour stopped and said how well it was looking and I said to her "You see those rocks? well thirty five years ago when I made this garden I could carry a rock under each arm, now I struggle to roll just one of them" :lol:
Being nosey what have you asked for the camera?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:07 pmBeing nosey what have you asked for the camera?
Horus, I have sold many items on ebay over the years. I usually include postage (unless going abroad) and there are the fees for listing and sale so, not wishing to 'give it away' I have a starting bid of £150 and a 'Buy it now' of £210. I know the BiN is high but it must be at least 40% (ebay rules) higher than the minimum bid. If it doesn't sell I shall simply relist it. I checked what they have sold for and it ranges from about £140 to £200. I am in no hurry so will just see how it goes. I would give it away rather than sell it cheap. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That was why I asked as they seem to go for around £200
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohhhhhh wow ......... I sure hope this doesn't mean no more photos. I'll definitely miss them big time. I understand all the reasons but I'm coming from a real self serving stance cause I loved looking at them and seeing your area.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:11 pm Ohhhhhh wow ......... I sure hope this doesn't mean no more photos. I'll definitely miss them big time. I understand all the reasons but I'm coming from a real self serving stance cause I loved looking at them and seeing your area.
Thanks LLL. ;) I have really enjoyed sharing snaps around my little corner of England. I shall certainly do my best to keep some pictures coming but I have reached a point where I have difficulty seeing through an eye level viewfinder. I do get on quite well with the camera phone so I am not completely closing the door on picture taking...
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Reading Grandad's discussion with Horus over pricing brings to mind one of my quilting groups. On this group, one of the constant questions is 'How much do I charge?' As you can imagine, the replies are many and varied! My answer is invariably, if I want to do it, then I do it for nothing; if I don't want to do it, then I say "You couldn't afford me!" Most of the professionals charge anything between £150 - £350 just for the quilting, depending on the size and complexity of the design. You can understand how and why they have computerization on their machines! I suppose if you've paid out £20,000 for a system, then it needs to pay for itself, but I'm always worrying that I won't live up to expected standards, so never charge. Which means that I'm always inundated with requests! I suffer from a complete lack of self confidence which I wish I could overcome. Ideas on gaining some would be welcomed, if anyone feels like giving any! :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

RS you need to first of all realise that your work is of excellent quality and because you move in quilting circles you are comparing yourself to others who are also of an excellent standard. You may better less skilled compared to some, alternatively you may been more skilled, only someone at the very height of quilting could rate where you stand. What you have to remember is that the general public does not have the ability to judge the finer details of quilting, therefore they buy with their eyes, so if people are asking you to make something for them then they must liking what they see. :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I think people ask me to make stuff for them because they want it for nothing, Horus! :urm: You are very kind in your comments though. Many thanks! :ks
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I think it is always difficult for people who make things to put a price on them but there is never a shortage of people looking to get something for nothing these days......
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I will not let my camera go for a pittance, hence the high starting price and BiN price. I did check what the same camera is fetching and they are in the range of my prices.
Taking LLL's point, I have several items cluttering up my garage which I will be happy for someone to just take away. Each has a value but as they are surplus to requirements I just want them out of the way. I am talking; an exercise bike, a glass top coffee table, and two small 3 drawer chests suitable for a kids room. Somebody will come and take them when I put them on Facebook marketplace.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

8 watchers and well over 100 views for the camera so far. So I am sure it will sell on Monday.
I have sold many items on ebay and posted to winning bidders around the world from the USA to Japan. It is fun to watch the last minutes of an auction because some of those 'Watchers' have been waiting hoping to get a real bargain at the last moment.
But of course others have the same intention so there can be a flurry of bids in the final minute as whoever is interested tries to outbid the others. :lol:
All good for the seller though because some bidders will keep pushing up their bid to get the item. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Is bidding on Ebay for 1 week? Or do you now get to chose the amount of time your listing lasts?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:40 pm Is bidding on Ebay for 1 week? Or do you now get to chose the amount of time your listing lasts?
You decide when it starts and for how long LLL. In the past I have sold some items on a 'Buy it Now' basis when I have decided what I want. On this occasion I have a minimum starting bid (£150) and a Buy it now (£210). I will get something in between, probably nearer the top end when the last minute bidding goes on. I expect it will sell for £180/190
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad many ebay buyers will use 'sniping' software. They have already decided their highest bid and it just keeps adding something higher than the last bid, the rapid end bidding is all the 'snipes' trying to be the last bid put in seconds before it ends.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 pm Grandad many ebay buyers will use 'sniping' software. They have already decided their highest bid and it just keeps adding something higher than the last bid, the rapid end bidding is all the 'snipes' trying to be the last bid put in seconds before it ends.
Actually H there is an option for automatic bidding on Ebay, no sniping software required. You simply enter the maximum that you are willing to bid for an item and the system will bid on your behalf. The bidding increments are preset from £0.05 for the very cheap items to £100 for items that have reached bids in excess of £3000.
So my reference to the flurry of bids only occurs when a first bidder comes in not knowing that there are automatic bidders hidden in the system So the system takes over and acts on behalf of the absent bidder/bidders.
Always fun to watch the bids go up in the last minute or two for an attractive collectible or valuable item.
I remember some years ago when I sold this calculator. It hovered around £50 or £60 then in the last minute zipped up to just under £200, its real value.
:lol:
Brical Calculator 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I haven't sold anything for probably over a decade on Ebay. I remembered entering the item and I think it went only for 1 week. I don't think way back then I even had the "Buy It Now" option (maybe I did but don't remember).

I also remember I had the option to put in a Reserve Price so if the item didn't get up to a certain value you didn't have to sell it. Not too sure if that is even a feature on Ebay anymore.

It would be fun though to see how the bids come in at the last minute.

I typically have a tendency to want to keep something (not sure why). If Ebay was a more active entity here and if shipping costs here were not so prohibitively high. I sent the daughter a 45" x 60" lightweight afghan I sewed for her and the cost to mail it was $21.00 and this was a relatively light weight item and it was being shipped the slowest and cheapest way possible. So much for supporting Canada Post.

Actually in terms of shipping it costs me LESS to mail something to the daughter in Quebec from the USA than to mail it to her from Canada.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I will give you a full run down on costs LLL after the sale on Monday. BTW, somebody has already come in with the minimum bid but there are 12 'watchers' and any of those with genuine interest will not show their hand until just before the auction closes.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Actually H there is an option for automatic bidding on Ebay, no sniping software required. You simply enter the maximum that you are willing to bid for an item and the system will bid on your behalf.
Yes I am aware how ebay works Grandad, but there is still sniping software that can be used to get an edge on the bids and ebay allow its use. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well my camera sold and is already packed ready for posting in the morning. There was no sniping so it just made the £170 that one of the two bidders went to. I was hoping for a little more but at least it has gone and I now have no more cameras.

LLL, as with any auction, there are fees and of course ebay profits from the fees. This item ended up as follows:
Listing fee to put the item on ebay £2.49
Selling fee 10% £17
Postage, I paid because it makes sales more attractive £11
(quite a lot but that includes ample insurance, next day delivery and tracking)
So I end up with£139.51. Not a lot but everybody in the family uses camera phones and ipads so nobody wanted it and somebody else might as well get good use from it...................and we will have a few decent lunches
;) :lol: :lol: