Iran/UK/Strait of Hormuz

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Iran/UK/Strait of Hormuz

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just turned on the TV News this morning and "Breaking News" here is that the Iranians tried to stop a UK Oil tanker from going through the Straits of Hormuz requiring a UK Naval Ship to intervene.

GEEZ!!! I'm figuring IF IF IF I'm actually hearing this as Breaking News you guys must be on the verge of war. Seems we never hear anything about anything so if this has actually made news here it must be HUGE! Course I have few details other than what I stated above but this incident involving the UK has made news here.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Iran/UK/Strait of Hormuz

Post by Grandad »

LLL, there is a bit of 'tit for tat' going on in the Straits of Hormuz. First, a few weeks ago two US tankers were attacked with the west including the US accusing Iran of preventing the free flow of oil through the Strait. Then Iran shot down a US drone claiming it had entered Iranian airspace.
Then last week British marines boarded an Iranian tanker which it was claimed was carrying oil to Syria against UN sanctions.
Yesterday a British tanker was threatened by three Iranian gun boats and a British frigate in the area came between the gun boats and the tanker and warned off the Iranians who left the scene.
Only needs one round to be fires and the whole situation could escalate. All a bit uncomfortable at present
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, history should teach these tin pot dictator types that the UK is often slow to anger, but when push comes to shove we will usually act, Take for example the Falklands, a British territory for hundreds of years and all the inhabitants wishing to remain British. Argentina assumed (wrongly) that because it was so far away we would do nothing after they invaded, how wrong they were. Luckily we had a woman PM with more balls than most of our male Prime Ministers who made it very clear we would take them back and sent a task force to do the job. Our military had been severely cut back, but something was hastily put together and even an out of service Vulcan Bomber was brought back and bombed the airfield at Port Stanley being used by the Argentinians, it was the longest bombing run in history at over 13,000 kilometres round trip, half a world away. The Argentinians had approx 11,500 troops dug in on the island and in military terms you need at least a 5:1 superiority to dislodge such a force, ergo we should have sent around 58,000 troops to take it back, our whole invasion force comprised of around 1,000 in total. ;)

Our armed forces are second to none and we punch well above our weight in military terms and it forms the backbone of NATO's defence of Europe along with America. Apart from the Vietnam war we have taken part in most modern conflicts around the world (not always a popular choice) usually with aircraft or naval vessels, our nuclear submarines and shipping patrol between the North of Scotland and Iceland as part of the NATO defence to protect America and for surveilance of the Russian Baltic fleet, our ships also patrol the seas off Somalia against pirates attacking shipping. Make no mistake about it, should Iran do anything silly they would come out of it very badly providing we had someone in charge with the bottle to sort them out, sadly the current lot would probably procrastinate too much and act too late. :urm:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Well ... comparatively I think Canada has all of 1 and maybe 2 submarines. :urm: :( Plus we've just purchased all of Australias OLD OUT DATED aircraft :urm: :ni: :urm: Basically we're NO force at all. Am actually surprised that no other country has decided to invade us. One tree cut across the highway brings the Island to a standstill. We're very easy targets here.

I heard all about the US drone being shot down which apparently was bringing the USA to the brink of war (I think that was all Media hype) but wasn't aware of any previous actions.

I think Iran is becoming emboldened and IMO it would be a severe mistake for them to attack either US or UK military anything.

My stereotype of both the US & UK military is that neither will take much pushing before action is started.

I quite enjoyed watching, on Netflix, quite a while ago all about Margaret Thatcher's rise to PM and her decisions and actions re: Falklands. We desperate NEED a Margaret here as our politicans are like pushing jello these days. Nobody is going to take a stand on anything ever.