THE NEW SEASON IN THE GARDEN - 2019

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: THE NEW SEASON IN THE GARDEN - 2019

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We are suddenly HOT here. Close to 30C however there is a bit of a wind so isn't feeling as hot as it actually is.

Your Daddy fox looks nice. His coat is in tip top condition.

I agree too that if somebody is allowing a cat to roam free and it happens to be diabetic then ???

Met up with my gf this morning and she told me they have just purchased a cat. It is a Persian, will be 8 weeks old this coming weekend and so they'll be picking her up early next week. They've named her Angel. Am figuring I'll see her in due course. They've been looking for another pet as their Pug passed last year. I was thinking they'd get another dog and probably a Pug so was a bit of a surprise when they said a kitten was joining the family.

Now I'm home and watching tv. Too hot to be doing much else of anything outside although I did have a slight burst of energy this morning and got out a gallon of black paint that I'll use to trim out the fence with.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Send us some of that hot weather.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
Yes LLL, he is looking pretty good but I believe there is only one cub this year so him and mum had it fairly easy rearing just one. Last year there were five :o
The cat is lovely and visits us most days. She seems to like men and always jumps up on my lap and nudges or even nips my hand to make a fuss of her. I am not over keen on cats but I do like this one and it seems to be mutual :lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Some days ago I tried to upload a short vid without success. I have had to resort to Youtube and as it is just 15 seconds long I have duplicated it. It shows this years single cub with mum on 31 May 2019.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very cute Grandad :up
It is a bit of a pain having to upload to Youtube, but at least it solves the problem. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - your foxes are looking good and if Mom & Dad have only had 1 this year that'll be cool for them to have had the break of children for one year! We all deserve a break.

I also like your new avatar. Looks terrific.

We're still in heat wave territory so am thinking I'll have to be out there watering late tonight. Everything dries out fast here.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

HOSTAS, A GOOD TIP FOR KEEPING SLUGS AT BAY.
On Gardeners World last evening they visited a nursery that grows nothing but Hostas. They have around 850 varieties in the collection, of which about 400 are available online. So, if anyone would have a slug problem, they would.
Their method of combatting slugs is to use a Garlic Wash. To make the concentrate they boil two garlic cloves in 2 litres of water. This is strained to remove any small particles. They put a 'glug' (their description :lol: ) of the concentrate in a spray can of water and mix well. They spray the leaves once a week and that controls those pesky slugs.
Good tip I thought. Seeing their range of colours, varigations and size; it occurred to me that you could quite easily design a lovely garden with nothing but Hostas.... :
up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good tip. I've never heard of that but if it works it would definitely be a terrific thing to combat the slugs. I've yet to see a slug on my hostas out front OR any evidence they're chewing away at the leaves. No sign of them outback but I know we have humungously large slugs here. Might just make some as I've got sprayers so would be really easy to make.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It should also keep the vampires at bay :a9:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Somewhere recently on one of these threads we were talking about nasturtiums. Was out taking photos around and about the garden and am getting 3 colours of helper nasturtiums now flowering. These were all planted a few years ago and now just decide to grow.

Am getting 3 colours: orange, reddish burnt orange and yellow:
DSCF4749.JPG
DSCF4750.JPG
DSCF4751.JPG
They are also popping up in other corners of the garden so might even get another colour too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is a curiosity of the garden.

I planted a hydrangea out front in a concrete pot and it is blooming blue. You'd think the level of calcium/lime/PH in the concrete pot would be making these bloom pink.
DSCF4726.JPG
Then I have two hydrangea plants I planted in the soil out back and they ARE blooming pink. Mostly our soil is super acid here and it takes the addition of lime to raise the PH.
DSCF4736.JPG
About 20 feet away planted in the open backyard and were there when I purchased this house is another hydrangea and it is blooming blue. I don't have a photo of it and it is not blooming yet however it is going to be a bumper year of blue blooms.

They're all the same kinda of hydrangea are all full of blossoms this year. I just can't figure why the one in the concrete planter is blue yet the one planted out in the soil is pink.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My last garden curiosity of the day is happening in my Pea plants although I highly suspect that I got a flowering Sweet Pea mixed in with the edible pea pods I'm growing.

This is now flowering on the back trellis
DSCF4745.JPG
These are the flowers of the edible garden peas
DSCF4747.JPG
DSCF4746.JPG
This is my kale. Doing super well and love it in salads
DSCF4748.JPG
The garden right now. Just tied up the tomato plants a day or two ago.
DSCF4753.JPG
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Certainly looks like a Sweet Pea to me, I see your Nasturtiums have flowers on, mine have also started flowering and are sending out runners.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I love nasturtiums, usually under rated, lovely to look at, lovely to eat and easy to maintain. What more could we want. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
All looking really lovely LLL :up I like your raised beds, I could possibly do one or two small ones like that. They add structure to your garden which I like.
I see a hosta with flowers? That is early, mine are not yet showing flower heads growing. Some people don't like the flowers and cut them out. I do like them but when they start to wither, that is the time to remove them I think.
I went round the tomatoes this morning removing the 'suckers'. Happy to say that, although I was late growing from seed, flower heads are now appearing. These are Red Cherry variety so good for salads and just eating ;) :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is an interesting tidbit of trivia that about half my hostas are flowering and quite early. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to which one is early flowering (i.e. not all out back or out front). They're just randomly early flowering. I don't mind the flowers it gives them a bit of a different look for awhile and when I'm tired of looking at them and they're withering I just cut them out.

The nasturtiums are doing well. Probably planted 3 years ago but they do keep coming back which is fine by me.

I also removed all the suckers off my tomatoes yesterday and there is 1 small bract of tomatoes on the Cherry tomato which is also flowering. The other two "Moneymaker" and "Early Girl" haven't quite started to flower yet.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My Hostas are starting to show flowers
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus @LovelyLadyLux @anyone else ;)
I will always admit ignorance where it applies and I confess my ignorance to many aspects of gardening. :ni:
With tomatoes I have always understood that you should remove 'suckers' that grow between the main stem and a branch on a plant. In my experience these suckers tend to become just a large leaf taking energy from the plant and fruit.
My 6 plants are just beginning to show flower heads which grow out from the main plant stem. I went round and removed what I thought were suckers BUT I have one or two that are growing (from between the stem and a leaf) more like a head. Should I also remove these or will they become heads with fruit?
This picture shows an example of a new flower growing from the main stem and, in the larger red circle, a'sucker?' with a long stem and leaf growth at the top.
Should I remove this??? Thank you
:up
P1020006.JPG
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, the top one you should leave, but the small leaf bud sprouting to the left of it in your picture should be nipped out. The one below with the larger circle around it should have been removed, but I would just leave it now and have two main stems, unless you want to slice it off low down with a sharp blade. Basically a Tomatoe plant will always try to 'branch' at every leaf joint which results in multiple branching stems which will produce lots of fruit if left. The problem is that they will usually be small and often they set too late to ripen properly, so the generally accepted method is to have just the one main stem and to remove anything that shoots between the leaf and stem, all your tomatoes should be comming from the leaf shoot branch. All of that applies mainly to larger plants, but if you have the smaller 'bush' type you can let them branch a bit more freely, but the same principle applies of not having too many branches as it crowds the plant and helps disease to take hold.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:up @Horus
Thanks for that H. That makes it very clear for me