Wild Kingdom Again

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Wild Kingdom Again

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On the 26th May Wildlife Conservation killed 3 cougars who were attacking sheep.

This afternoon Conservation Officers were going door to door as a bear got into a neighbours garbage and basically trashed their trash. This means everybody has to be alerted and if it is seen again they want to be notified as it'll also have to be shot.

On another note "Grizzly Bears" are now coming to the Island! Read the alert last week that Grizzlies are now being sighted here and they are dangerous. Mostly the alert was to warn all those camping now. Grizzlies have never been on the Island but one actually stopped the Ferry last week as it was swimming in the water heading towards the dock.

There is still a cougar lurking in this area however haven't seen or heard it.

In April & May we've had 5 Grey Whales wash up dead on our beaches and I saw on the news there are as many as 15 sighted off the coast of Washington that appear to be starving to death.

Guess my point is that everything in nature seems to be going off kilter.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Wild Kingdom Again

Post by Horus »

There is no doubt that the seasons are changing, now whether this is down to human activity or a natural event is hard to say.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This is what is cruising my neighbourhood. Not my photo - taken by a neighbour. Geez I wish it would 'go away' and I for sure hope it doesn't have cubs hanging about either.
61324659_10157262797925050_366326801581998080_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Out on the water seems we have a white orca here! Never knew this was even a possibility but seems we have a white one......many are referring to it as "platinum."
61318091_614394225733257_4347528044911525888_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Oh! LLL I wouldn't like to come face to face with that bear :sd
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely not. It is breeding season for bears right now which means now is the time of year that all the Moms drive away their cubs (usually around 2 yrs old). If it is a cub that is on his own for the first time in his life he may discover garbage but that'll bring about his demise real soon if he comes close to people. Mostly black bears will run but every once in a while they'll feel cornered and so will attack.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sadly Conservation Officer got this guy today. Really sad cause he/she was a young bear and just didn't get far enough into the bush to be away from humans and didn't learn to easily catch enough game to sustain. RIP bear.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That's very sad LLL :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A bit off topic but still animal behavior.

I was just sitting quietly on the bench enjoying the balmy evening when two magpies came to the bird bath just 6 feet from me.
My neighbour puts out crusty pieces of bread for the wildlife. These two had picked up smallish pieces of crust which they dipped in the water to soften them so that they could consume them. Is that clever animal intelligence or what? ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I was watching a scienced base show on TV a week or so ago and they were discussing how smart birds are. They had a parrot that was able to sequentially open an entire series (like 20+) steps opening doors/locks/hooks/snaps/clips etc to get the treat in the middle. Was quite amazing how many steps this bird was able to go through. Was one smart parrot.

As for your magpies they seem to be in the Crow & Raven category so I have no doubt they'd be able to accomplish whatever they needed to accomplish to get their meals to their liking.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Neighbour just posted they had their back doors open, heard a thump and saw this in their backyard
62036175_10157211812867808_2110003985258643456_o.jpg
There must've been two of them as Conservation got one. This guy must be real hungry if he is marauding around middle of the day (1:30pm and this was just posted to our neighbourhood FB group). Again Conservation has been called so I sure hope this guy zips off into the wilds otherwise he is going to meet the fate of this brother.

On another note nobody is out walking right now cause of bear threat. What is also making it worse is that the NEW garbage truck broke down. All my smelly garbage was supposed to have been picked up yesterday morning but all cans are still out pending they guys come today and take it away. Weather is 25C so everything is baking up super smelly out there which, am sure, is enticing the bears to come in close.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Seems this is the year of the bear. Bears here, bears there, bears bears bears everywhere!! It is the time of year that all the Momma bears bat away Junior cause they're intent on finding another Papa but it seems this year we've got young bears all over. Part of the problem with young bears right now is that they're REAL hungry as they're not totally skilled hunters and hunger makes them aggressive plus they can climb. So the neighbourhood loses lots of cats and garbage attracts them big time. To make it even more interesting the City has 5 garbage trucks and 3 are down so now garbage in this area and my street is being left out as it is taking them one and two days to get it picked up. Makes our street a garbage beacon to bears - "Come on down! Juicy free garbage for you"!!

This one is up a tree down the tree
62085547_10215047651202978_2372066856547647488_n[1].jpg
And this is the neighbours backyard last night
62205669_2320352114725512_1624362627121545216_o[1].jpg
I can't match Grandad's trailcams but these stills (not taken by me) will give you the idea.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

And we complain about foxes getting in the trash cans :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Well it has barely been a few hours (OK OK I know! ;) ) since my last post but another neighbor now has Bears in their yard too. The seriousness of this is that we're all close to a Park that is frequented by kids so it is pretty serious that everybody know there are bears out.

What is also making it super-serious is that the bears are OUT in the day time and not running off. This guy is pretty brazen.
62135118_2321287241298666_1713417124736663552_n[1].jpg
Nor is this one leaving the area
62005244_2321287321298658_7207631193490063360_n[1].jpg
I haven't but all the neighbours have been calling Conservation and have now reached a live body who says IF they trap them they are forced to kill them and cause these bears are just cruising back yards they are not yet deemed as "nuisance" bears.

The discussion then goes to 'what makes a nuisance bear?' God forbid we have to wait 'til a kid, adult, dog or cat gets grabbed. Bears also do not scare the way the cougars do. You can't just turn 2 dogs lose on it and expect it to run.

Trivia - a black bear CAN run faster than a horse. I've personally had them jump out of the bush onto the road and run in front of the car going 50km/hour easily.

Conservation is now directing everybody in our area to bring all our garbage cans IN (trucks where here late yesterday and got my garbage & green bin re-cycle (the edibles) ) but the truck has yet been to the top of my street. City says "leave you garbage out for the weekend as the truck will get there sooner or later" but Conservation is now saying to bring it in and lock it up........BUT BUT BUT.......even though recycle garbage (the bones/peels/rinds etc) is picked up once a week it has been really hot here so am sure the smells are in the air hence the bears AND the longer you keep your garbage the more it reeks! AND if a bear here really wants it no shed or fence is going to hold them back from getting it. Bear can easily tear down the wood fences and/or rip into a garden shed.

Conservation is also telling everybody to take down and bring in all bird feeders as bears love 'em. AND I'd imagine that suet would have a bear appearing fast.

Anyway - nobody is outside walking a dog, working in the garden or doing much of anything outside. We've definitely got more than 1 bear roaming around here as Conservation already took one out last week.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It certainly looks as if you have a problem, does it happen every year or is this unusual? I am wondering is it a case that the local population has out grown its own habitat and (reluctantly) requires culling? or is it that people are encroaching into their living space and causing the problem? As to the garbage, well I can imagine that would always be a problem once the young bears learn of a food supply, our Foxes soon became urbanised once they learned there was food to be had, you only need to take Grandads as an example. I know many people who have Foxes visit their garden and I even have one who has several Foxes and Badgers visit them EVERY evening and Badgers are very shy creatures, but if the food is there they will turn up. Of course there is alot of diffference between them and a Black Bear. It seems to me that your area now needs some sort of centralised Bear proof steel enclosure where you all leave your trash for collection, either that or they cull all the Bears as they appear. Are they a rare creature that could be relocated to boost numbers elsewhere in Canada or are they really common and could be deemed a pest?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - there have always been bears around and usually they're very shy concerning people except for the Moms with cubs however so long as they're not surprised (talk as you walk or wear a bear bell aka make noise) and you're good. There are also from time to time individualized raids on a garbage can where the owner will come out in the morning to sea gulls picking up paper and scattering it about the neighbourhood the can having been knocked over in the night by the bear.

The difference now that I can see is that last year we had that rabbit virus go through wiping out most of our rabbit population. We had so many rabbits I'm sure if a bear opened it's mouth and wait 3 minutes a rabbit would have jumped into it. Now since that rabbit hemmoragic (however you spell it) virus went through there is nary a rabbit to be found so am sure the bears are hungry to starving. Having a ready & easy supply of rabbit has probably also allowed for an increase in bear population too.

This year as in right now we're already at level 3 drought conditions. Whilst we get more rain than we can use in the winter two days of sun brings drought as nobody here in Gov't has even remotely thought about how we can conserve water so as to have a ready supply all year. Water desalinization plant has yet to even be discussed although billions can be thrown away on other things.....anyway I digress......this drought condition means really low river levels so no salmon going up either which is also a primary food source for the bears.

I can see several contributing reasons for bears coming in let alone that the City is now taking two days to pick up our garbage and given this area is next to the wilds WE should be a priority. Hopefully nobody gets hurt and hopefully Conservation will take action.

If they catch an adult bear and move it somewhere it'll actually come back. Putting it into the territory of another adult bear doesn't work either and their policy is if they catch a bear in those big metal traps they now kill it. On the other hand once these 2 yrs old learn there is food behind houses (people here are told over and over and over again NOT to leave cat food outside) and in the green bins they'll be back. Don't think it takes much to learn if you have a working nose that those bins contain an easy meal and "Oh look there is an entire banquet out there for me today!!"
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The bears are still cruising the streets and hovering here and there but there are no efforts going to catch them.

This is the kind of trap typically used to catch bears here. There is now discussion that the last couple of these traps used got totally tore up by the bears as they were not strong enough to actually contain the bear and the bear ended up hurting itself so badly it had to be euthanized.

Bears here don't hestitate to tear down a wood fence if they want through and even keeping your garbage bins in a shed is absolutely no guarantee a bear won't get in if it wants to. Best practice is to get rid of any smelly garbage weekly.
62325420_10157230805732808_8558813340577562624_n[1].jpg
Since the bears are still hovering in this area it means all walks are on hold for now. Hopefully the bears will decide to leave before they discover the joys of eating garbage and getting themselves shot.

On another note bear meat isn't particularly tasty to eat. Has quite a strong flavour so no real benefit to anybody to shoot them for the meat.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

So glad I just wrote that I'm IN the house for the rest of the day as Conservation just going up and down telling everybody to "Shelter in Place." None of the kids at the school are now allowed outside as the BEAR is here (and I sure hope NOT in my backyard).
blackbear-e1501281687765[1].jpg
Definitely hope they decide to DO something about it. Kill it, catch it or something as an aggressive hungry bear is NOT safe for pets, people, kids.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would be buying a shotgun
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just after I wrote that we all had to "Shelter in Place" I heard 3 gunshots. Went out back to see if I could see anything but saw zip through the trees and I didn't feel like walking down the street to find out what was happening. Apparently Annie Oakley or Hawkeye or whomever fired the rifle didn't hit anything and the bear is still 'on the loose.' So am going on the supposition that the bear was in a neighbours yard and they fired off the shots trying to scare it away.

No official report that it is gone and there are two so even if one goes there is still the other one to contend with.