What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Ah I wondered what you were up to Grandad, ;) Is it possible that the display net was moved from one location to another during the week?
That could be the case H. I expect there will be an explanation in the local press.

I also think people who make the effort to do things like this deserve our appreciation. But would you believe that some locals have been critical on social media saying they are not anything like Wave or Weeping Window. Sad individuals. They were never designed to replicate those sculptures. I wonder what those people have done in some community project, nothing I bet. :(

I wasn't aware before but my sister knitted some of the arcade poppy's

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW - super fantastic idea to use the bottoms off bottles to make the poppies. Here we do nothing that artistic for Remembrance Day. Would definitely be fantastic if artists did undertake to do something like this for our Day.

I'm ready for Hallowe'en. The Grandkids will be over all decked out in whatever they're wearing. My next door neighbour has an entire graveyard in her front yard and quite a few other neighbours have got large decorations out there.

Unfortunately right now it is a heavy drizzle pending it'll turn into an actual rain which will keep the kids inside.

Personally I WANT to get rid of the CANDY! so am hoping for quite a few otherwise the couple who might show up are going to get handfuls!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The first couple of years I was here I had quite a few children - complete with adult calling, but last year I only had three I think. So had lots of sweets over. The chocolate hung around for months before I liberated it :oops: The rest I threw away.

So tonight I have some lovely Cox's orange pippin apples and some bananas. If they come it will be healthy treats and if they don't come I will enjoy them. A lot cheaper too!
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Lovely sunny day so off for a ride on the scooter, but see my other thread about that.

I would like to know the actual distance that I travel on my outings and downloaded an App to my phone called GPS Distance meter. I asummed and hoped it would measure distance traveled. I set it to zero when I left home and when I returned it recorded distance traveled as 'zero'. :( So it only measures point to point and I am searching again for one that measures actual distance traveled???

Cold weather now so the heating is already on and will be for the next six months
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - that would be more than annoying to have that type of GPS app - out all day with ZERO traveled! You'd have to figure the furthest point you're away and double it IF you re-tracked your exact same route back. Don't know of any apps myself but I am aware there are lots of walking counters out there. Not too sure for a scooter though - I actually thought you scoot would have some sort of odometer.

Do you have lights for travel in fog or when it is getting dark?

Saw one here the other day and it had 2 lights old fashioned design mounted on front and back (but unlike yours it was a 4 wheeler)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux
No LLL, no lights. It is just a sidewalk scooter, you only need lights on the road.
I have now found an odometer App that will measure distance traveled and will try it in the morning. The other App only measures point to point as a straight line but I will keep it because there may be times when it will be useful.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The problem with a lot of those Apps is they rely on movement rather than the GPS. I was going to suggest a cheap 'Fit Bit' type watch (you can get one from Amazon for about £11, so quite cheap) I have one that I wear when out walking Annie so I get a good idea of how far I have walked that day, but again they rely on the movement of your arm.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I don't move much when on the scooter H, I let the little motor do all that ;) :lol:
When I go out in the morning I am going to try both apps. I have a field that I traverse and will measure how far it is across with the first app. Then when I return from my newspaper collection I will use the other 'odometer' app. ALL IN THE INTEREST OF SCIENCE :lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Went out this morning for a cuppa with a gf pending we go to a local Craft Show. She was visibly upset on arrival and relayed that her one couple nights ago stole a truck, ran from police, rammed a police cruiser putting an office in hospital over night. She just found all this out when police arrived at her door as the son gave her address as his place of residence (which it has not been for some time as he is an adult). He had gotten himself a few years back in with a bad crowd and whilst things had been getting worse for him this 'incident' has put him up and over the top facing 8 criminal charges. The gf and her husband are so nice and regular ordinary people as are their other kids so it is really hard to figure how this one child (young adult actually) has gotten himself so far off the path. Guess peer pressure can be difficult.

Then I got an email from the Daughter re: her father in law (he had hernia surgery, ended back in hospital with urology issues that resolved then home) who now is being admitted to ER with a blood clot in his chest. None of it sounds good for him and doctors are scrambling as is his own family. This from her on top of her husband coming home from work yesterday morning with a workplace back injury requiring the doctor brace him to ease the pain in his back!!!

GEEZZZZ!!!! Am thinking I'm going to go to bed with a book and shut out the world today...........Guess today has just been one of those days.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just a few Autumn images from our walk today around a local resevoir, there are quite a few Beech and Oak trees so it can get quite colourful especially when there are plenty of fallen leaves, they are in no particular order. Annie enjoyed herself as at this time of the year the place is full of tree rats for her to chase, not that she ever catches one. :lol:

I had to include this very old and gnarly Sweet Chestnut tree
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Lovely Horus, quite lovely especially with the extra Annie Wow factor. She is a little star, and seems to know it. :lol:

PS Love the Gnarly chestnut. I used to take my children to school through Pembury Walks which are old chestnut coppices that they cut back to ground level every 15 years or so, one section per year. A lovely place which made me fall in love with chestnuts and all the beautiful and useful craft items that can be made from them.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous photos H, lovely colour and the gnarly tree is fantastic.

Here the gnarly tree would be stripped of it's gnarls for the burls which would then be featured as clocks, bowls, cutting boards or some such.

We don't really have too many, if any, chestnut trees here. Wonder if the wood is hard or soft and how it stains up?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ MD, yes Annie makes herself the center of attention wherever possible, she just loves to be fussed, a most friendly little dog. I even had a jogger stop mid stride the other day and he said "hasn't your little dog got a really happy face" that made me smile. :lol:

@LLL, we do still have lots of Sweet Chestnut trees near where I live, but they tend to be in the more older woodlands and often isolated, I would say that properly seasoned the wood would carve or turn on a lathe very well.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Lovely pictures Horus :up and as you observed the other day about my post, your trees are more advanced into autumn leaf fall than those here further south. It surprises me the difference in just a couple of hundred miles.

We all love our doggie friends but my #2 grandson and his girlfriend have been house/dog sitting for friends who are away on holiday. They know the dog very well and he knows them but, Friday evening they were watching TV, 'Gizmo' was asleep on grandsons lap, grandson moved his arm and the dog woke up and went for his face......seven stitches to repair the wound.

The dog is a cockerpoo and always very friendly but it does illustrate to me that you do need to be careful with any dog.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but it's a hobby horse of mine.

Hear, Hear! Grandad. Any dog can cause injury. I'm sorry to hear of your Grandson's experience but not surprised it happened. I hope there is no lasting effect.

I've worked as a Vet nurse, assistant manager at a big quarantine and boarding kennels also showing kennels and owned and bred many dogs in all sorts of varieties from Miniature Pinscher to Irish Wolfhound. I love dogs and cannot tell you how much I miss having a canine companion.

In my experience small dogs are generally much more unpredictable than large dogs. There is a world of difference between aggressive and unpredictable. You know where you are with an aggressive dog which is still a problem but much easier to manage than an unpredictable dog which is honestly the rest of the canine population.

No matter how marvellous most dogs are, how much they are indulged, cossetted, dressed and mostly used as a substitute for human affection at the end of the day a dog is still a dog and I have the scars to prove it.

There is a fashion for crossbreeding different varieties of dogs at the moment. People say "Pedigree dogs have too many hereditary problems" but then they use two kinds of pedigree animals which doesn't reduce the risk at all.

Miniature poodles are being widely used in cross breeding to give a cuddly saleable puppy. Strangely Min. Poodles are very different in temperament generally than either Toy or Standard varieties. They are also much more likely to be neglected. We had a Min. Poodle brought to the quarantine kennels to be "rehomed" after it had bitten the end off it's owner's nose! Obviously we gave the same advice as the Dog Charities and said euthanasia is the only answer.

Most of my bites have come from small dogs and terriers but the worst was from a yellow Labrador who bit me through the thigh. Not withstanding all this I'd still rather have a dog bite than one from an injured or simply determined cat.

PS Why do people choose a long haired dog which needs a lot of grooming and then cut it's coat short? I seldom see terriers, Llasa Apso or Yorkies and their crosses in full coat.
Last edited by Mad Dilys on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nasty experience for your Grandson, I bet they won't be dog sitting that one again :o I would have put it in kennels until they returned :td
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would agree up to a point, I have always kept dogs and my father in law was an international show judge so I was often in close contact with all breeds and their owners as he had his own kennels. I am of the opinion that with few exceptions there are no bad dogs, just bad owners. The difference with a cross breed is that even if it is from two pedigrees you are still lessening the concentration of one or several hereditary problems associated with any one breed, OK you also stand a chance of inheriting several separate health problems, but like with humans you are better breeding outside of your own bloodline and generally speaking cross breeds live longer which proves the point. As to breed size, well I have never heard of a small dog attacking and even killing people and children with the same frequency as large breeds do, most small dog attacks are on unattended babies and small children and again are the result of bad owners not understanding a dogs behaviour when confronted with a rival for their attention or a stressful situation. Larger breeds can easily develop a pack mentality if not under proper control and attacks involving several dogs are more common from this group, I would much prefer to be attacked by a Yorkshire Terrier than a Pit Bull, Alsation or Rottweiler, any breed that can bite me above the ankle is suspect.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: I would have put it in kennels until they returned :td
That was our thoughts too Horus. Even Millie used to go in kennels when family were on holiday. She didn't like it but was always very excited to see them when they collected her. :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

PS Why do people choose a long haired dog which needs a lot of grooming and then cut it's coat short? I seldom see terriers, Llasa Apso or Yorkies and their crosses in full coat.
Why do women grow their hair long or cut it short? Annie’s coat is the result of two breeds so she has a course outer coat inherited from her father (a Border Terrier) and a softer and much curlier undercoat from her mother (a Westie) that eventually grows through to be very curly. I take her to the groomers and she has what they call a Teddy Bear cut which results in a smooth coat along the body lines similar to a Labradors coat. To my mind she is far better for it as she stays cleaner, cooler in the Summer, easier to groom and bathe and lets the air get to her skin so helping to avoid one of the predominantly inherited problems of Westies which can be skin problems. I can't say that I see many dogs on my walks that do not conform to the accepted looks of the breed other than maybe a shorter coat in the Summer or after a visit to the groomers which to many dogs is a necessity, for example Spaniels feet or a Yorkies coat which would grow along the ground if left unclipped.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos H, its always good to see Annie out & about with you :)

Grandad....Hope your grandson is ok & not put off dogs for life.