What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

And correctly pronounced Grandad, :up Up North we say our our vowels as they should be spoken, none of this fancy Southern “barth” for a bath, we say it with a nice clipped ‘ah’ as in ‘bat’ We also say ‘buz’ rather than the Southern ‘bass’ to define a form of motorised communal transport, the only Bass around here comes in pint pots. :D

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today here is our Thanksgiving Day. Have nothing organize and no plans for me to go anywhere or for family to come here but for whatever reason I am cooking an eighteen pound turkey (which is about the standardized size here for a turkey). Popped it in the oven already and it'll be done early afternoon. I quite like turkey and probably won't bother cooking much else but soon as it cools I'll have it packaged up into enough meals to last me 'til Christmas! One of the great perks of going to the bother of cooking a large turkey.

Usually all family comes here but the son-in-laws father just had hernia surgery and hasn't been doing too well since the surgery so they're all going there for the afternoon.

It is pouring down rain today so doubt I'll be crossing the door. No sign of sun and no sigh the downpour is going to slow up at all so going to be a bit of a boring day.

Thanksgiving Day is also a 50/50 type holiday where some stores close, some are open but you don't really know 'til you get there which means to me I'm not going to bother even going out for a coffee as it is 50/50 the place might be opened or closed.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Happy Thanksgiving LLL :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks H - the only other observation about today is that it SEEMS like Sunday vs Monday.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

How weird! Exactly the same here, I've only seen one person walk past the house and less than half a dozen cars in the last half hour...….. oh, spoke too soon five just came past together! But it's soooo quiet, it's eerie.

This weekend we had a half marathon in the city and the helicoptors started clacking early, it brings the city pretty much to a halt with a limit of 1,500 competitors. Unfortunately this year two young and apparently fit men died from a cardiac arrest after crossing the finish line. One was 25 years old and the other 32 years old. Maybe if they hadn't been so "fit" they might not have enjoyed life for so long, but tragic just the same.

While I've been writing this the world has woken up and I need another cup of tea. It's a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky and I feel especially lucky to be alive. Have good day everyone. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I often have to think carefully what day it is. They all seem to roll by and one day is much the same as the last, even weekends.
Our youngest son, who works the most odd shift system on Eurotunnel, is off today so we have kidnapped him to run us on a few local errands.
We are planning on some changes to doors and windows so will visit a local firm to discuss options before getting quotations. The main proposal is to change the 8 foot patio door for a bi-fold with between glass blinds. Probably cost an arm and a leg but we will see.
I also have a list of things to get from B & Q including paint to re-paint the garage door, to re-stock on rat poison, and to get a replacement TRV to replace one that I found broken in the week.
Then as a thank you to #2 son we will have lunch at the George and Dragon.

At least the weather is still holding with low twenties centigrade forecast. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - I had between glass blinds in the downstairs back door when I was in the States. Really look at & get guarantees about those if you're serious about getting them. Mine were ok but I always worried that if anything jammed/broke/seized up I'd be stuck with a problem.

Sun is out today, daughter phoned me totally sick asking if I can pick up the kids from school today as she can't get her head out of the toilet so I guess us going out for an early morning cuppa isn't going to happen ....... soooooo now - what to do? Dust hasn't actually turned the furniture white yet so probably can leave that for another month or so ...... flowers are dying off so maybe go out and cut off the dead & dying leaves is a possibility but hey tomorrow is another day ........ Hmmmm......thinking.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@ LovelyLadyLux
We checked out the bi-folds with BGB but they are really not suitable for our opening and would be prohibitively expensive. I also had the concerns that you expressed LLL. We will probably settle for French doors with glass side panels.

We had a nice lunch though :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - the backdoor had that kinds of blinds on it when I bought the house but once I set them I NEVER moved them because I was quite concerned they'd jam up or fall down or do something and then how do you fix them? They're kinda popular here - well I think they're kinda popular as I do see them when I tour the Lumber Stores but I really don't know how many people really go out of their way to install them given the almost impossibility of repairing or fixing them.

Had the crew today. We worked on our hockey game we're designing and making, pulled up the rest of the carrots out of the garden and I got 1 more large Trongolino squash + 3 little ones. Going to have to grate them up and get them in the freezer for adding to winter soups and stews.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Grandad - the backdoor had that kinds of blinds on it when I bought the house but once I set them I NEVER moved them because I was quite concerned they'd jam up or fall down or do something and then how do you fix them?
@LovelyLadyLux
Yes I see where you are coming from LLL. There are very few companies that make the sealed glass units with the integral blinds. If we had gone down that route, and we won't, the nearest company to us gives 5 years guarantee on the integral blinds and 10 years guarantee on the sealed glass units. Doesn't seem to add up to me.
Last edited by Grandad on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Got to put up with lunch out again today. ;)

My sister who has already been married twice (sadly both former husbands are dead) has been with her present partner for 25 years and in view of her current problems, they married quietly last Friday with just her son and his wife as witnesses.

They have invited us to lunch today at Chapmans of course ;) as a little celebration. They had planned a really big holiday next year as a 25th celebration but her condition has curtailed any holiday plans. So far so good with her treatment and she will have an assessment update in a couple of weeks.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Congrats to them Grandad and here's hoping it all works out well for her. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - Congratulations to your sister on her marriage.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Congratulations to both & I hope everything turns out good :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Congratulations to your sister on her marriage - I hope it's third time lucky and now everything will go well for her and her new husband.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Off out tonight for a curry at our local Balti House as my American friend is over for a quick visit. We do cram a lot in though, he loves the local curry house and our old fashioned pubs so it will be a few carry out beers with the meal then a stroll to a canal side pub that he has been to before. It has just been renovated this year so we will partake in a few 'real ales' :br and if the weather is not too wet we will walk back to my house, if not we will take a taxi. He is usually quite unsteady after a night out in our local where he is always recognised and welcomed by the regulars in there, he considers it to be 'his' local after visiting with me for many, many years :D Unfortinately this time his visit is short and he needs to be in London by Saturday evening, so I will have to regulate his consumption. ;)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I seem to have spent the day checking the weather forecast for tonight. My grandaughter's Cub group - along with the Scouts - are sleeping 'rough' tonight in cardboard boxes. They are trying to raise money for a local homeless charity. I do hope it doesn't rain on them. My Grandaughter is only ten and I don't expect she is the youngest, by a long chalk. Good luck to them all for suffering for a worthy cause. :up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes good luck to them, but they could have chosen a better night especially with little kids, lets hope they have good boxes
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's dry and quite mild here tonight, Horus. I have no heating on at all.