What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I watched Season 1 of "Better Call Saul" and now I've watched 2 episodes of Season 2. I really like the 1 bad guy Mike - old/bald/gruff. His character is interesting.

When I'm figuring out what I want to watch I sometimes look at how many Seasons a show has been filmed. I somehow have the idea that if they've gone on for 2 or 3 seasons or more they should be good. I watched 1 episode of Season one of "Kath and Kim" or something like that cause I saw it had a 5 star rating and went for 6 seasons. Totally blew my theory that cause a show went for 6 seasons it must be good (was awful). The 5 star rating must've somehow slipped in there as I wouldn't have given it more than a 1. Maybe I missed the point or missed something but it sure wasn't that good.

Slight breeze today so the air quality has to be better than the dense smoke that has hung here for a long time so today will be a day to get up and out. Being able to breathe is always a good thing :up :up

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, I agree about Mike, he is a great character in the series, gentle but very dangerous. I am only up to the second episode myself as they are only available each Tuesday in the UK for series 2.

This was the finished Pergola I made for my daughter (in kit form) and all ready to be erected at her house.

As I told you all previously I made it from a lot of old decking timber salvaged from a neighbours skip and as I had some left over I made the large planter with surrounding bench seats for my Budleia bush. Still had some timber left so I made these two small garden tables to go with it, nothing fancy just rough cut timber knocked together and painted, surprising what you can make for free :D all it cost me was a couple of litres of fence paint :up
Those patio flags are in dire need of a power washing :sd

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

They look really excellent, Horus! :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Gorgeous! Truly lovely :)

I like the tall looking fireplace too. Be nice to have that going during an evening outside.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks, glad you like them :)
LLL, that is a free standing stove pot that I made from an old propane cylinder and a few other bits and pieces, the special heat proof black paint will take up to 800 degrees so it won't burn off. I have a store of logs and when I fire it up it will keep most of that patio area quite warm if you are sat outside. :up

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely looks lovely with the glow during evening hours. Am betting it does keep the area pretty warm. Nothing like sitting around an open fire. I think it brings out something in our DNA from ages long ago.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Quite wonderful Horus. You are obviously a man of many talents. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks, the patio heater has a mesh door that opens and I am thinking of experimenting with a detachable shelf that can be fitted on the inside of the door to swing in and out or over the fire. The idea is that when the logs burn down to embers I can roast potatoes or even chestnuts over the fire. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus it all looks fantastic :) you really are good with your hands :) it be great to get

roasted tatties from the fire :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Feeling quite chuffed today, my youngest Grandson has just had his A level results marked under the new system where 9 is the equivalent of an A+ the highest score and apparently harder to gain under this new marking system. He has achieved passes of 9 in all his top subjects such as Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, History etc. and 8s in another two subjects, his worst score was a 7 in religion so not worried about that one. I had promised him £25 per subject where he got a 9, but decided that I would round that up to £200 total as he has done so well overall. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow ! the boys' done really well Congratulations to him, now just you to coff up ;) :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The Grandson's grades or marks sound fantastic! That is definitely well done and well worth a $$ reward.

I dole out $$ rewards for good report cards and I also put caveats on the $$ in that they have to buy something big with it (can't just fritter it away on small stuff that disappears fast i.e. candy) OR put it into the bank - their savings account which is rather a one way stream of deposits only with withdrawals never happening. Usually they can come with up something they want that is substantial. Parents know I'm doing this so usually guide in the direction of showing them or talking with them about a few things they know they'll want that is also ideally educational.

Those grades are definitely super cool! Well done :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ Kiya, the cheque is sitting here waiting as his dad will be over at the weekend ;)

@ LLL, I asked his dad if he (the grandson) had a bank account of his own and he said not yet, so it is a cheque written out in his name with instructions that the grandson is to open up a bank account of his own and he can withdraw half the money as a reward to spend on what he wants and leave the rest in his new account. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - YUP - that is the way to go. Kids need to learn young how to manage money and not feel the 'itch' of having to spend it just cause it they have it albeit in a bankd acouunt. The crew here all have bank accounts and have the hang of going in, making a deposit in the know that that $$ will stay there. Here too kids bank accounts are free. No service charges or anything like that so learning to deposit, save, withdraw should be easy.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Horus, congratulations to your grandson! What is he going to do next? University - or a gap year?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I don't know yet what the family have discussed, I hope he does continue on to Uni. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Air is much cleaner & clearer today - finally and prediction is 100% for rain tomorrow (as of now but that could change dramatically in the next 5 minutes here).

I've always thought in terms of University but sometimes going into the specialized Tech fields is more job security and affords a more lucrative lifestyle than does having a University degree these days. My bottom line is that after high school you MUST go somewhere for a couple years so as to get a degree, diploma, certificate in something. If you opt for a degree unfortunately having a Bachelors isn't really getting you through too many doors as it seems now a Masters level is what is in demand (which also means you're more specialized in something).

Is University FREE in the UK? It definitely is not FREE here in Canada. Any post secondary (High School) education here costs a fortune.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree about the university degree and no they are not free anymore you have to pay (about £9000 per year) but you can get a government loan to cover it which you repay back once you start to earn above a certain level.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - our Tuitions have gone ridiculously high. If a student has to stay in Residence (and many in the north do need to do this as they're not close to a Uni) the cost is about $10,000 per semester (Sept - Dec) then add on Tuition and the price just escalates. After 4 years of this it is nothing for a student to be owing $80,000.

I think they get a six month grace period then our Gov't adds on whatever the going interest rate is and payment MUST start. This can be super onerous for some and basically can keep them financially crippled for decades.

I do believe that all University in Germany is free to students. I rather think this is a good idea but only IF the students are pursuing degrees or careers that get them employment. i.e. a degree in advanced basket weaving isn't my own idea of a pertinent career in todays world.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I would agree with most of what you say LLL, here it amounts to a similar debt at around about £50,000 for tuition fees. I believe that the loan does not carry any accruing interest and is only payable after a certain level of income is reached which is set reasonably high when compared to average income for someone without a degree. So in theory it could be argued that as they will have a much higher lifetime earnings that they should pay back the cost of their university education, I think that the loan is ‘forgiven’ after a 30 year period or if you should die regardless of how much has been repaid. It used to be free in the UK, but for several years now you have had to pay for tuition. I have always thought that too many people just take going to university as a given and as you say they come out with degrees in some pretty useless subjects which to me degrades the whole thing. Whereas we do need people to be well educated in some fields it is not unreasonable to expect them to pay back their education costs as they will be earning at the top end of the pay scale in most cases, so to me that sounds fair.