What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Kiya »

Can we see some pics once you've cleaned up :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have not painted them yet, but when I do I will post a picture :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I woke a bit early (5.30) so making a good start. While I was eating my breakfast I was watching Portrait Painter of the Year on a recording.

I'm interested in the different techniques, artists using photographs of the sitter and drawing grids on the screen and on the canvas is quite usual, but today I discovered tracing paper is allowed!

The "artist" takes a photo of the sitter, puts tracing paper over the screen and then transfers it to the canvas.
Further words fail me. :a17:
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

That does seem a bit pointless :ni:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Last week I had a call from Virgin who supply my Broadband/etc. offering me a "wonderful new deal for TV" :urm:

In no uncertain terms I told him that I wasn't interested in even more sports programmes that I didn't watch and as they had removed about 4 of my favourite channels I was thinking of cancelling my contract and going to Freeview which gives a better service. I asked if Virgin had actually taken into account the huge percentage of mature viewers and their viewing preferences. He stammered that the removal of the programmes was temporary.

Anyway on Sunday I suddenly noticed that the missing 4 were back with a few more programmes I like but couldn't get before. :up

Yesterday I had an email from Virgin announcing the retrieval of my favourites - a bit late I think, but obviously the viewers had made their feeling known. So today I shall be making a new list of TV programmes that I want to record 8)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

To be honest I hardly ever miss my old Sky package, as you say there is so much available on Freeview and in addition I have Netflix so never short of something to watch. I also get Amazon TV because I have their Prime service, but I only warch the odd thing on there. Just recently I have started to use i-player quite a bit and have been surprised at how many programmes I enjoy watching on there, mainly the historical and docu type that I somehow miss during normal viewing times. I have been watching the series Picnic at Hanging Rock on catchup and really enjoyed the series, it was beautifully made even if it did leave me just as baffled as the film did. :|
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Over the 20 odd years I was working half the time in Egypt I missed a large part of series that I liked, so for example Last of the Summer Wine makes me laugh without being bawdy. Just genuinely funny. ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Still an old favourite of mine :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The variety and quality of cable TV viewing here is deteriorating more and more every day. I watch the News, History Channels, Discovery and Nat Geo but that is about all. I really only ever watch about 6 channels and each one is bundled into a whole group of other channels that I'd never watch. In order to get what I'd consider to be the good channels you have to buy the bundle. You can buy just that one channel but they have it worked out so that the cost is the same to take the bundle or the 1 channel.

Evenings I mostly watch Netflix and I've been debating getting Amazon Prime for their TV channels. The daughter has Prime so if I need to buy something I order it through her.

She has said about the same as H posted that they occasionally watch a show but not lots so come this fall when the weather turns bad I might sign up myself.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Just said goodbye this morning to one of the last remaining Saudi students who is flying out tomorrow. He is 4 courses short of graduating. He was holidaying in India when the big shake up via Prince MBS came out. I emailed him right away and today he was laughing at how he poo poo'd off my urgent email telling him what happened. He thought I was joking with him and didn't realize 'til he got home to Saudi with his family that it all sunk in. He got here two nights ago from his holiday and is now rapidly divesting his stuff as his flight home is tomorrow.

On a positive note his Gov't is picking up the total tab and his 'wish list' of where he can go to finish is studies: Japan #1, New Zealand #2 ad Australia #3. His sister is already studying in Japan so to be close to her would be primo.

All in all 15,000 to 16,000 students have been taken from Canada and 800 doctors plus all the Saudi patients they were treating here. Basically the end of an era of Saudis being here in Canada. Have to say every one of the students I knew were really terrific young men.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's tragic, just when they were being accepted by the locals too. All the doctors, this is going to affect their future's and their families futures so much.

I don't care if the Saudi government is picking up the bill, they are not being fair to their own nationals. I feel for them all - so many different kinds of cruelty in this world and some of it not immediately obvious. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, I have Amazon Prime mainly because it saves me a lot in delivery costs as I buy quite a bit through them, so the TV is really an unimportant extra, to my mind they do not stack up to the likes of Netflix for programs.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Busy day today, did my shopping, called in the vets for Annies flea & tick preventative treatment, picked up my own prescription from the chemists and when I arrived home my paint had arrived for my garden furniture so I painted the two new tables I had made, busy busy. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - this entire Saudi recall of ALL the students has been devastating to them. I don't know each and every student here but I've come to know quite a few and each and every one of them has been nose to the grindstone studious, very pleasant and more than willing to really share their culture and insights (which have never been even remotely close to the ISIS theme). Some of the differences over the years have been really cute but they've accepted all in stride i.e. they're NOT going to eat fish eggs on sushi regardless the taste ;) All have totally revered their Moms and respected their Dads and are very tied to siblings. That they were all drawn back immediately is terrible to say the least BUT I have to admit 'we' (Canada) started the fiasco, were told how to apologize and refused so all 'round a tragedy. The 800 Doctors leaving is equally a tragedy as we have so very few Doctors now and more and more people here no longer have a Primary Care Physician. This means they just go to the Hospital ER for anything which is creating another ridiculous burden on our society here.

I no longer favour ANY Politicians as more and more I'm convinced they are only into it for themselves and to line their own pockets at Taxpayer expense.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I'm debating Amazon Prime simply because for deliveries I just order through my daughter and pick up from here although she has been able to get a few things now delivered directly to me. She has said the same about the shows. They do watch a few, appreciate the no advertisements but mostly prefer Netflix.

I watch Netflix lots so have tended to see most of the good shows as they come out and I guess I tend to 'binge' watch in that when I find a series I like I might watch 2 or 3 episodes per night 'til it is done. Don't think I could honestly sit all day to watch from episode one to finish but I will watch lots several epidodes a night. I don't space the episodes out watching 1 a night or 1/week.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

To be honest - and I'm not getting at anyone on here - I hardly ever watch TV. Possibly about 3-4 hours a week. There is always something else to do, and not much to watch that I would be interested in. DH is another story though! :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Fair enough Ruby, before you posted I was trying to remember where we had the television when we lived on the smallholding and I had my mum living with us. I can remember where her TV was, but not the family one.

What goes around comes around, so I'm making up for some of those lost programmes now. :lol: :lol: ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I usually have a quite busy day and I do not go to bed early so my viewing tends to be in the late evening for a few hours, it is my unwind time. I am also like LLL in as much as I find a series and tend to watch that until its finished, not all in one go but several episodes at a time until it is finished, one of my favourites was the 'Breaking Bad' series.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I loved Breaking Bad and right now as I type I'm re-watching it. I'm up to Season #4 and will watch one or two episodes per evening.

Tonight I think I'm going to watch "Sully" which I'm thinking is a biography of the Pilot who landed his commercial passenger full airplane on the Hudson River (I think it was the Hudson).

Back from swimming this morning and grabbing up a copy of the Activity Guide in prep for Registration Day August 22nd. All activities for the entire year and advertised for 5 days now and Registration opens on the 22nd. Miss that date and you could end up doing nothing much all year. Had to get the Guide to see if there is something I want to do :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Did you ever watch the spin off series about the corrupt lawyer in Breaking Bad? his name was Saul Goodman. It is called 'Better Call Saul' and it has many of the minor characters especially the badddies cropping up and it deals with Saul's trials and tribulations throughout his life, not as good as Breaking bad, but still entertaining. :up