What's Grandad got to talk about?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What's Grandad got to talk about?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - Each and every home grown tomato is precious! Can definitely feel the pain as a few of them being lost.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Looking at these blessed tomatoes and taking into account the time spent on them, it's cheaper to buy them! :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Never mind, it could have been worse, they could have been mine :lol: :lol:
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

RS the taste will be wonderful when you do finally get them, well worth the hassles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I quite like the smell of moving the tomato bushes too and love fresh tomato sandwiches. They're the BEST on toast.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Sunday again.
I have just come in from sitting outside in the cool of the evening fox watching. They are OK so long as I don't make a sudden movement but if they hear a sound above on the railway bank that alarms them, they are off, but soon return. The back door is open and I can hear them squabbling over the peanuts and dog food that I have put out.
This is a still from a video, hence not too sharp, of the growing cubs.

Right opposite where I sit are two very large hostas. They are in bloom right now but unfortunately the flowers are shortlived.

Within the last week or two I have noticed a decline in my vision, so much so that I have not posted very frequently. As it was giving me concern I telephoned on Friday for an emergency appointment which I attended at the eye clinic this morning. I have 4 conditions in my left eye and I was not sure which could be responsible for my problem.
My regular doctor told me that the wet AMD is being controlled by the injections and there is no sign of leakage. The dry AMD is very slow developing as is the Glaucoma so after looking in my eye she concluded that the cataract is forming rapidly which would explain the problem. She has referred me for surgery so I hope to get that sorted in a few weeks.
In the meantime you may not see many posts from me because I have great difficulty reading text on screen. If I do post and there are many typos, you will know why.
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Get it sorted soon Grandad, we will miss your posts and don't worry about Typo's. Can you not do the 'Ctrl ++' to help your vision by increasing your screen print size?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I agree with H - does this help? Hopefully they'll fast track you for cataract surgery which will result in improved vision?

Let me know if an increase font size helps cause I can post all my posts in a larger size too.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Same here Grandad. We'll do anything we can do to help keep you here.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

You are all SO kind and thoughtful. Thank you so much.
Hopefu;;y my problem will be only temporary

Please use your usual 'Normal' type size and the with two ctrl+ clicks I can bring it up to the large size. So don't you change anything and I can do as Horus suggests and enlarge on mysvreen.

My doc said it is a 'subcapsular cataract' which occurs in the centre at the back of the lens capsule. It can develop quite quickly and affects central vision and reacts to bright light which explains why during the day my total visual field is blirred. Sunglasses help a little but with reduced vision they tend to make the field too dark.

With luck I will get thes sorted soon but in the meantime please continue as normal and I will post occasionally. :up
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Lovely photos Grandad :) I was going to ask if your streets are usually so busy till I read you saying most are tourists.

I had to laugh thinking of you Bzzzzz Bzzzzz at your plants :lol: hope the neighbours didn't hear you ;) :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just a Sunday post to keep in touch.
First the sad news. At nearly 17 years of age our 4 legged member of the family, Millie, was peacefully put to sleep yesterday. She was officially my #2 grand daughter Hannah's dog but she was loved by everyone and was number 15 in the family. Her organs and senses were failing and the vet agreed that her quality of life had reached a point of little quality. We will all miss her.
This is Hannah with puppy Millie in February 2002 (Hannah is now 21).
And this is the last picture I have of 'Mills' in August last year.
I have not been posting because to do so is laborious with a magnifier to read blurred text. I now have to be less than a metre away to read a car number plate BUT there is good news.
I was offered cataract surgery next Saturday 4 August but as I have an injection in that eye Sunday 12 August I decided to have the surgery on Saturday 25 August. There are increased risks when also having injections so a 2 week gap will allow the injection site to heal, or at least that is my theory. With only one functioning eye you tend to look after it.

I have been reading some posts. I think Kiya did well to get some Red Arrow shots. A difficult fast moving subject but your second picture is my fav Kiya. I think that formation is called 'Vixen', one of many in the arrows' formations repertoire. It is probably not realised that when they do displays around the country and the world, their aero engineers also travel with them. A few lucky ones usually get the chance of a lift back to base at RAF Scampton in one of the Arrows. A nice little 'thank you' to the supporting crew.
My fav pic Kiya.
So, even after your 'toms' being blown over RS, you are now harvesting. Well done. Remember I said I have never grown any kind of fruit or veg and my three tomato plants are a new experience. My daughter in law grew her plants from seed and gave me three which she tells me are 'Moneymaker'. They are well laden with fruit but none has yet ripened. On the plant nearest the camera a few tomatoes have some skin blemish but I shall leave them to ripen and either discard or remove the skins.
Sometimes a little optimism doesn't go amiss. I sold my car nearly a year ago and have not driven since early last year. I had to undergo a DVLA eye test in October 2016 for the continuance of my driving licence. That was before the cataract op on my right eye which did improve the peripheral vision a little. On the strength of all this I have not surrendered my licence with the optimistic view that I may well pass the test after the upcoming surgery. My next DVLA review will be around October next year so I am still optimistic that I may still be able to keep my licence. Fingers firmly crossed.......But whatever the outcome of that, I shall at least be able to use my scooter again that I can't do at the moment.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I look forward to the update Grandad, but so sorry about Millie though she was a very old lady and looks so sweet. RIP Millie.

Good for you in being optimistic about driving. I let my licence lapse because parking is such a problem when you can't walk well and I don't really regret the decision. It's cheaper to have taxis than maintain a car anyway. ;)

I think you are right to delay the cataract op under the circumstances. Obviously you will be in our thoughts for a good recovery.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sad about little Millie, passed over Rainbow Bridge. :(
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Sorry to hear of your family pet Millie, I know how some get so attached to their pets :hug:

I didn't know the formations the Red Arrows do had names....interesting :) glad you liked some :up

Hope everything goes well with your eye treatments & you'll be able to keep your licence :)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

So sorry to hear about all the troubles you are having, Grandad, and about the demise of a much loved family pet. Keeping everything crossed for your operation and hope the outcome is a favorable one.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very sorry to hear the passing of Millie. Always difficult decisions re: pets. Am sure she will be really missed.

Your tomators are terrific! The leaves on the plants seem huge. I think I've grown Moneymaker in the past too. It is a variety that I recognize as being grown around here.

Fingers crossed your surgery will be positive! And, you never know, you licence may be renewed too.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your responses good friends. Just thought I would let you know that Millie will be cremated alone, not in a mass cremation, and we will scatter her ashes in the local bluebell woods where she was so happy running free off lead.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Perfect Grandad. Sad, but perfect. :(
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Lovely thought Grandad, I have no belief in a god, but I do think that we are always part of the world around us and the atoms that made up our bodies are just incorporated into something else. OK not a single entity, but Millie will become part of that Bluebell wood and the flowers that come in the Spring will be a part of her as will the Butterflies and Bees that will sip nectar from them. They in turn will become food for the birds and other wildlife and the trees will take up their share and incorporate it into new foliage and growth, the Bluebells will fade and in the Autumn the leaves will fall, but in the Spring the cycle will begin again and so it will continue. :)