HOME SWEET HOME/ FARO

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: HOME SWEET HOME/ FARO

Post by Kiya »

Yes RS................Once you've seen one church you've seen them all :)

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Still on the 14TH JUNE...................The Museum of Regional Ethnography of the Algarve

The title is self explanatory.....

We visited this museum after the church & bone chapel, we really enjoyed it & seeing how the hand crafts, fishing etc once was

9384 9385 9386 9387

9388 9389 9390 9391

9392 9393

I thought of the ladies here doing their quilts etc when I saw these hand crafts 9394

9395 9395 9398

I'm not sure what this basket was used for 9397

I waited for a few minutes for this women to move but, No too busy yapping on her mobile 9401

9402 9403

It was on this day I started to feel unwell , a lot of days are missed photo shoots, but, bare with me there is more to come.
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Just catching up with your lovely photos Kiya. You certainly did get around considering you were not well :a4: We have only ever been to Portugal once & that was at Xmas when it was closed :? Really enjoying seeing your pictures to see what we missed.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

More excellent piccies Kiya :up I think that may be a fishing creel of some kind or lobster pot.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That museum looks super interesting, Kiya!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Great photos Kiya. I think the ladies making the tapestries worked lots harder than me!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

15TH JUNE..........A couple of days at the apartment trying to get rid of the infection

Sunset 9404

17TH JUNE............I know not very interesting but David trying to keep the mood cheery, when all I wanted to do was put my head down..........he was making a game out of this to see who could make out from distance which plane company each plane was....of course I got them being long sighted.

It was to show you how close they were flying over.

Coming in to land 9405

9406 9407 9408 9409

9410 9411 9412

I like this one just because showing all three 9413

To be cont..............more interesting ones :)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Your account continues to keep our interest even when you became indisposed Kiya.
Top marks to David for his efforts to keep you amused with his take on "I Spy" ;) :lol:
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd find it interesting to be seeing the airplanes going over. All the different logos on all the airplanes are interesting. I particularly like "Alaska Airlines" with the smiling Eskimo/Inuit face. It is quite an intricate logo.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

18TH JUNE...............I was determined to get out & about & visit SILVES CASTLE , it is a fair bit away from Faro so we decided to hire a taxi at the bottom of the street from the apartment.

It was a very hot day so water, hats & sun glasses at the ready.

Silves Castle is situated way up on top a steep hill overlooking the town of Silves, I'm glad the taxi was allowed up there otherwise I wouldn't have made it .

Again leaflets about the castle is all in Portuguese so a little info from the net for you.....

Silves Castle lies in the town of Silves in the Algarve province in Portugal. It is locally known as Castelo de Silves.
Silves Castle was probably built, on the site of late Roman or Visigothic fortifications from the 4th/5th centuries, during the Moorish occupation, which started around 715, and was part of the city walls that surrounded the town. To the Moors this town, which they called Xelb, was their regional capital. It is situated near the, now silted up, Arade river.
In 1060 the castle was taken by Fernando I, King of Leon and Castile. Shortly after it was retaken by the Moors. In 1189 Portuguese Christian forces, aided by thousands of English, German and Flemish Crusaders on their way to the Holy Land, attacked the town. They razed everything outside the town walls and lay siege to the castle. After six weeks the Moors surrendered after an agreement was made with the Portuguese King Sancho I that they could leave unharmed taking their belongings with them. But when they left the mercenary Crusaders violated that agreement; they slaughtered them all and pillaged the town.
Trying to recapture the town in 1190, Yacub Ben Yussuf attacked the castle in vain, only to return in 1191 with more success. During the 1190 siege England's Richard the Lionheart helped the Christian forces to defend the town.
In 1198 the town was again retaken by Sancho I, again with help of German Crusaders. But being unable to keep the castle he dismantled it. Finally, in 1242, Silves was conquered by the Master of the Order of Santiago; Don Paio Peres Correia, during the reign of Alfonso III, who ordered its reconstruction. It's this king's statue standing just outside of the castle gate. After this the town importance gradually declined.
In 1722 and 1755 two heavy earthquakes also damaged the castle. In 1940 the castle was restored.
The castle was built out of large, red sandstone blocks and taipa; a Moorish mixture of mud and sandstone that hardens out like stone. It is equipped with eleven square towers, two of which are barbicans joined to the ramparts by a supporting arch that holds up the walk way. Its, up to 4 meter, thick walls enclose an area of ca. 125x100 meters.There were two entrances to the castle grounds; the main gate defended by two towers and a so-called 'traitors-gate'. This was situated close to a projecting tower which served as a keep, in the northern wall, but was bricked up during one of the restorations. Four of the towers which were modified at the time of reconstruction work carried out in the 14th/15th century, have gothic doorways, vaulted halls and stones bearing the marks of medieval masons.
Inside the castle nothing remains of the buildings that must have been there but partially excavated foundations. Two cisterns do remain; a small one, 60 meters deep and of Roman origin, and a larger one. The larger one is called 'El Moura Encantada', after a legend that says you can hear a moorish princess mourning her beloved at this well where he committed suicide. This cistern has four vaults supported by tall columns but is permanently closed.

9414 9415 SANCHO I 9416 9417

Looking over the town of Silves from the castle 9418 9419 9420

The town of Silves 9421 9422 9424

I was disappointed with this castle with only the outer thick wall surrounding the castle we could walk around

the whole castle looking down to see only base outlines of other rooms that once were, in the centre of the

grounds is many nice gardens, not what I'd expect from a castle 9425 9426

9427 SANCHO I 9432 9433

SILVES CATHEDRAL closed when we were there 9434 , not sure what this leads to, there were

no steps or anything leading to it 9435

We stopped a while at the castle café for drinks, across from the café is this attractive building

9441.............I think it maybe a mosque.

This is the long steep hill leading down to the Museum 9436 , they're very poor on given

directions to places of interest.......... by this time I was so tired the heat was even greater up here that I

stopped & rested on the cathedral steps leaving David to find the museum then come back for me, luckily it

wasn't too far. This is the other end of that hill 9437 "I would never have made it up there"

Sadly I was not allowed any photos from the museum.

Back at the apartment lovely sun rays in all directions before sunset 9438 9439

9440 9442 would have needed my long lens & tripod for a better shot .

To be cont.....
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you Kiya, what a lot of work has gone into your excellent post. Much appreciated. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Another great post Kiya :up lots of background facts with plenty of piccies. That building does look very Moorish in style, glad you made it up the hill :lol:
(I have sorted out your missing picture :up )
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

It's been 23 years since I was in Portugal but so many changes! It's unbelievable!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thank you folks :) glad your enjoying my pics & to David as Grandad says above, he did look after me making sure I

ate though it be little most of the time, plain simple water was more welcome than anything :)

More pics to come once I have them sorted.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

He is a good brother to you :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting photos and write up Kiya. I have never been to Portugal but this is more than interesting. I too wonder what was behind the door? Ornate decadence or blah nothingness? (inquiring minds need to know).

The gardens do look nice though. Lots of greenery and interesting how they're designed in circles.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

20TH JUNE ...ROMAN RUINS of MILREU....ESTOI

I am now understanding David's pet hate of Faro & surrounding towns, villages, 95 % of places we visited from

around Faro itself & historical places of interest to us did not cater for the English language, so again I have taken

some information from the net about this ruins.

The ruins of Milreu is just outside the village of Estoi just six - seven miles north of Faro, it didn't take long at all with

a taxi reaching the ruins & we ordered the same driver to return for us.

ROMAN RUINS of MILREU ....ESTOI
Set in beautiful countryside just outside of Estói, north of Faro, these ruins of a Roman villa are so large and grand they were originally thought to have been a town. The villa, inhabited from the 1st century AD, has the characteristic peristyle form, with a gallery of columns around a courtyard. The highlight is the temple, the fish mosaics and former central pool of which suggest that it was devoted to a water cult.

The fish mosaics in the bathing chambers (to the west of the villa's courtyard), provide a tantalising glimpse of the villa’s former glory. The remains of the bathing rooms also include the apodyterium (changing room; note the arched niches and benches for clothes and post-bath massage) and the frigidarium, which had a marble basin to hold cold water for cooling off after a bath.

Other luxuries included underground heating and marble sculptures (now in Faro and Lagos museums).
In the 6th century the temple was converted into a church, and a small mausoleum was added, and in the 8th century it was converted into a mosque. In the 10th century it collapsed, possibly due to an earthquake, and the site was abandoned. In the 15th century, a farmhouse was constructed within the abandoned site (the house, much modified, is still there today).

Once we bought our entrance tickets there is a small museum just before you enter the grounds to the ruins again no

pics allowed.

9446 9448 9449 9450 while there all of a

sudden darkened skies came over us with an almighty clap of thunder & lightening 9451

9463 David ran for shelter, although there was nowhere & me I just sat on the

nearest stone wall enjoying the spitting of rain that was cooling me down 9455

Its such a shame that these ruins/mosaics are not protected from the elements, before long they will all vanish if

something isn't done, also there were ropes here & there not really in the places they should have been,

anybody really could easily have walked over the mosaics 9447

9450 9452 9453 9456 9457

9458 9459 9460 9461 Slab of marble

I took this photo of the white farmhouse from the net , I haven't a good enough one to show 9464

9466 9464 9465

Leaving here we did attempt to walk up to the village & visit the palace that is now a hotel but, no it got to much for

both of us, we found a summer bench under some trees at the kerb & waited for our taxi returning for us.

To be cont.....
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you Kiya :up
Smile! It confuses people
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Great pics & info Kiya thank you. As you say a great shame that something irreplaceable is not being protected from the elements :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting and talk about thick walls! Wow!