Ignore me if I've said this before...…………….

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Ignore me if I've said this before...…………….

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ignore me if I've said this before but have I ever mentioned the TV programme Pitbulls and Parolees? The programme has given me food for thought about the prison and punishment system in America.

Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Ignore me if I've said this before...…………….

Post by Horus »

Seen it advertised, but never watched it.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I started to watch Pitbulls and Parolees with a very sceptical eye as I have had a lot of dealings in my time with individuals and organisations who offer sanctuary to various kinds of animals. I always find fault with them, nit picking away in my mind.

I have over several years found very little to criticise in this organisation which has grown from rescuing Pitbulls to offering sanctuary to all kinds of dogs and cats in need. They currently have over 800 animals in several different sites which they endeavour to safely re-home.

Anyway, when they started in California the original staff were chaps on parole, because no one else would employ them and the kennels couldn't get staff. Then they moved to New Orleans and found their dealings with the law and the police in particular were totally different.

The authorities in NL were helpful, co-operative and very friendly so different from the hostile attitude in California. It's been interesting over the years to see the friendships grow and also the attitude of Authority to the parolees and their efforts to re-habilitate them. Members of staff serve their time and most re-adjust tp normal life and move on. Some fall by the wayside.

One man who has recently moved on remarked that, "If a man is 21 years old when he starts his prison sentence then he is stil mentally 21 years old when he finishes it - no matter how long the term."

Adjustment must be very dificult.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I watch Pitbulls and Parolees often and have watched it over the years from when they were set up in California to their ultimate move to New Orleans. I do believe way back when they were in California and it was all ok. Then a horrendous fire came through so they had to move and at the new location all the neighbours went "NOT in my backyard" and forced them to move. They couldn't return to where they were burned out from so they ended up in New Orleans.

I remember the show when the daughters were younger and not tatto'd and pierced up and I also remember the introduction of her adopted twin sons too. I think the story line goes that she is married to a man who is doing a super long sentence in prison (and believe me Prisons there are NOT nice places to be in at all).

She has taken on lots of Parolees and IMO she sure has to be one tough Lady to be dealing with them.

Initially I think she was pretty much specialized in Pitbulls but now I think her set up is taking all dogs. I don't know 'when' this show comes on but I watch it when I see it. Always like 'animal' type shows.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Me too! I can remember way back - a wonderful woman I think. She doesn't grab the camera and pretty obviously regards losing her privacy as a necessary evil.

Did you know that Earl who really has gone through life's wringer is now a motivational speaker? I saw it on their website the other day.

Currently the program is screened on Sundays in a block of about 4/6 episodes. Animal Planet I think? I record it on a series link, but don't know how your Canadian TV programming works.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I seem to see this show sporadically. I don't know when it regularly comes on but I typically only watch Animal Planet, the History Channel, Nat Geo so when I SEE it listed I turn it on. Sometimes they're doing a full day of it being on and other times it is just a show. I know I haven't seen any of the regular programing on it lately.

Didn't realize Earl was a motivational speaker but they had another guy who was a lifer and he met/married one of the Veterinarians. He left the show. Then they had Matt? (from Louisiana - tall guy who was featured quite a bit on the show and he had a nick name but am not remembering it). I saw one episode of a spin-off with him and his wife/girlfriend adopting dogs but have never seen anything else.

I find the show interesting as it seems to be pretty fact based on the rescues. It is "reality" TV but it isn't really embellished to any extreme. I do notice now though that Maria Torres (the Mom) is featuring herself less and less and they're focusing a bit more on all the others.

Did you ever watch the Pitbull show that featured the Midgets? I don't remember the name of his Pitbull Rescue but he was out of Los Angeles I think. He was a Midget who was a semi-movie star. He had 3 others who were also little people pursuing acting careers. I found it interesting too.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The episodes are not always shown in sequence which doesn't help.

Country Boy Matt? In a recent programme he was leaving to go to New York with his girl friend. Then we had a few programmes from late 2017 before it went back a couple of series, maddening.

The episode I saw this evening had music which made it difficult to follow conversation,, I wonder why film makers will insist on adding music which does definitely not enhance the entertainment.

I was, as usual looking for something to criticise, but honestly the only thing which offends me is that they allow dogs to lick their face and mouth, it makes me cringe. I'm not keen on rewarding dogs which jump up for attention. Small things when so much is right.

They now take in all kinds of dogs and cats to their satellite kennels, but I think the original kennels in the town just has Pit Bulls and PB crosses.

Haven't seen anything with midgets in yet. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I had to Google it but the show with the Little People was called "Pit Boss"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584454/

It was about Shorty Rossi (had to Google that too) who ran a pit bull rescue in Los Angeles. He was also (I think) a talent scout for Little People so his staff was comprised of several other midget/dwarfs. It was along the lines of Pitbulls and Parolees in that it was reality based but nothing really 'out there.' It seemed to be based on pretty real situations with a bit of humour thrown in. I enjoyed it but haven't seen it on TV for 3,4 maybe 5 yrs now. I lose track of time cause I may have also watched the odd re-run when the show wasn't in production anymore.

Personally I think Pit Bulls as a breed are good looking dogs. Not huge, nice short coats of hair, up for anything, nice faces but it does worry me re: pit bulls as to how they've been inbred for fighting. And getting one as a rescue you truly don't know what might cause the dog to snap and if/when they do they do cause serious damage.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Apparently now Chihuahuas are used in dog fighting - unfortunately that makes sense. :(

Thanks for the information about Shorty.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Both here and in the USA there is a huge movement or push for people to never give a dog away for FREE. The concern that is touted is that these free dogs will be used in dog fighting. Chihuahuas are rather fiesty but not so much as to be able to do any damage in return to a larger dog, same with terriers.

I can't wrap my mind at all as to the why anybody would even remotely want to watch two dogs fighting. I get horse/dog racing - the watching them run is exciting but fighting? Course I don't hardly get why anybody would want to watch boxing. To a certain extent I can understand why wrestling attracts a crowd as it is really all show with no hurt or harm. It does bring glitzy costumes and all the verbage (although I couldn't be paid to watch it) and I suppose if you're into it the excitement of it all it is a 'show' (of sorts).

I did happen to see 2 epidsodes last night of Pitbulls and Parolees and hadn't seen them before. Always interesting. In the one show they had rescued an extremely emaciated pitbull puppy and showed it recovering. The puppy was totally awful.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I saw some pretty bad things in "civilized" south of England Veterinary Hospital. I watch various animal rescue programmes and think nothing has changed. Except I hope with the cat situation, I haven't heard of cats being killed for their skins recently.

The local police once brought us a bin bag of cat's feet and skinned cat's bodies that had been found by the side of a country road. No heads and no skins. We found at the end we were 2 paws short when we tried to match them up. Some of the bodies appeared to have been savaged by a dog.

I had a beautiful big tabby cat that liked to live in the farm buildings. The week that she went missing 40 or so other tabby cats disappeared within about a 10 mile radius. :(

If the UK was full of animal lovers we wouldn't need the RSPCA and all the other rescue organisations. I can't help hating some people with a deep and bitter hate :xx .
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

There is another huge social movement going on here now which is to allow anybody who rents to have any and all pets they want.

I 100% fully agree that pets are a huge plus in a persons life IF IF IF they are responsible pet owners. I can see it now if this law actually comes into effect as pets will be acquired by any and all whether they have an ability to feed and look after them or not. I can see huge Huskies being kept in 1 bedroom apartments all day long and I'd hate to think the condition of these places after a year when all animals have been allowed to toilet wherever/whenever. The "I am bored' of a puppy will play out with chewed cabinets, dug up floors and on and on.........
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since I'm watching it - another show I quite like is called "Collar of Duty" and features the dogs working with military, border patrol.

When I was working and went out with Law Enforcement they'd sometimes bring in K9 Units. They were always gorgeously big dogs but the Handlers really kept them separate and apart from everybody. Don't think I ever got to be very close to one. They'd keep them locked away 'til they had to come out then they'd do their thing and zip off again. No socializing at all. I asked once 'why' and the response was that the dog might have bit me (but I always took that as more of an excuse than anything else).

I've also be at the Border going into the USA when they cordon off a group of cars and then run the dogs up and down between them. Don't think I've ever seen a dog find anything but they're there and doing their thing.

Once a couple years ago in Puerto Vallarta Mexico after you claim your luggage they had the most slow tired uninspiring Beagle I've ever seen. The poor dog had either been doing a triple shift cause it presented as totally non-energetic. It wasn't even walking fast. Tail down. Looking close to falling over. I couldn't envision it wanting to play with a reward if it found something.

I find it interesting that they have some dogs for smelling currency, drugs, vegetation and who knows what all.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

We have several programmes featuring K9s and their training. Very interesting.

I love the little chihuahua in Texas (I think) which is a police dog. They are very practical actually, should be used more for drug discovery. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Not sure a little chihuahua is macho enough for some of the Dudes who work in Security! ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

:lol: but they are very practical. They are good in small spaces like a car and the car doesn't have to be jacked up to examine underneath. Big dogs can do damage with their claws and if there is nothing found there has to be a pay out, a Chihauhua costs less to feed and it's working life is twice that of a big dog. When it comes to sniffing out drugs, size doesn't matter. ;)

As is usually the case in all things in life. :snig:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I don't disagree at all but can you imagine the photo optics of seeing these guys coming out armed to the teeth with all the weapons, kevlar vests, communications stuff and what nots that make them look bad ass and then produce a chihuahua? Giggling giggling giggling! ;)

I'e watched Border Security and some of the other law enforcement security shows and IMO those dogs DO damage people's car and belongings. I wouldn't want a big dog with huge claws climbing all over my new car and scratching up everything.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think a lot of young fellows these days like to go against the flow, they get more attention, especially from women who say "You are so brave not to try and make yourself look tough in spite of being teased." :lol: :D