What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Grandad I assume that you know that you have to set up the TV to match up with the soundbar even if its the same brand name.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote:Grandad I assume that you know that you have to set up the TV to match up with the soundbar even if its the same brand name.
Yes H. I have been through every possible routine but for some reason the TV does not detct the soundbar.
When I put my mobile phone on to bluetooth search it finds both the TV and the soundboar so I know that the bluetooth on both is functioning. Just that the TV doesn't find the bar?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, not being pedantic, but I think its the other way around and you have to tell the soundbar what TV it is connected to, just a thought.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Now here's a funny thing H. I switched on the TV and soundbar to listen to the news and, surprise surprise, I got an onscreen message asking if I wanted to receive sound via the soundbar. So, after a frustrating 3 days the bl**dy TV has decided to sort itself out. :xx
But I must say, the sound through the soundbar is far superior to the TV with richer tones, no treble squeaks on some female voices and control of some base tones via the inbuilt woofer.

I will however use the optical lead when it arrives because I am a fan of hard wiring. ;)
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad, I have mine hard wired with the optical connection a sits more reliable, but my base and woofer unit to the sound bar connects via Bluetooth.Yes you will find the sound far more superior than the TV set, mainly because the TV speakers face backwards due to modern slim surrounds. You will also find you have lots more sound options (usually on a controller) so you can change the type of sound from say news to cinema and it makes a huge difference. Of course what it can't do is make the abysmal sound quality of some programmes better
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Horus wrote:Of course what it can't do is make the abysmal sound quality of some programmes better
We are not sure whether it's just that we are getting older but we really struggle with sound on some programmes. They seem to think it is a brilliant idea to play music at a far louder volume than the dialogue :xx
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Indeed they do! I only realised recently that I tend to choose quieter programmes without really thinking about it.

One of my favourite programmes is Vera, the music matches the landscape, isn't over dramatic and I can concentrate on the twists and turns of the plot which is always very complex. one of the few programmes I record and watch time after time, like a favourite book. Lie To Me is another that I treasure. :up
Smile! It confuses people
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Ooh I have never heard of Vera, will have a look :) Now that we can get UK TV we are finding all sorts of new programs, not just American which is all we seem to be able to get in Egypt! We have got a bit hooked on the Doctor Blake Series.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes I agree about them seeming to think that at some dramatic point in the program they have to have the background louder than the speech, couple that with muffled speech and regional accents and it gets to be hard work :cry:

As you are I assume still in France and can get UK TV, you may like to catch up on a brilliant BBC program called Versailles, it is as you may imagine a period drama about the palace, wonderfully costumed and using the actual palace. It is in its 3rd series now and to me it is a must to watch, full of intrigue and probably a very good representation of how it was to be in Louis XIV court. If you can get BBC I-player you can catch up. :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

We can't get BBC I-player, we use Freesat. We have got some of the earlier series saved as we got it for a friend in Egypt. Haven't actually got round to watching it yet.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Versailles is brilliant! The acting, the costumes the settings only surpassed by the script. I've been hooked from the beginning.

Vera is a very different kind of Police drama. The title role is played by Brenda Blethyn who of course is unique. I'm a big fan of hers. :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

Will have to give them both a try I think :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My TV is on for most of the day as background noise and I don't really sit down to watch it until the evening. I much prefer Netflix and watch it 95% of the time simple because I can't stand the long loud and frequent TV advertisements that pepper TV programming. The higher sound level blasting out is what I object to most.

Haven't found any shows on Netflix lately that have really caught my attention. I almost think I've seen everything that is worthwhile but I'll keep hunting 'til I find something worth watching. Would be nice if I could get "Versailles" and I'll looking once I'm home but I doubt I'll find it.

On another note - today this morning (and last night too) I had to drink this horrible concoction for a CT Scan. Had it, got the results within an hour and everything is totally negative meaning I'm fine :) :) :) :up :up
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

LLL very glad the CT scan was all clear, it is so much better to get instant results isn't it? When we first registered for the French Health System I had a mammogram, an ultra sound & saw the consultant all in one appointment, after waiting for all of 3 days from the time I had my first appointment & medical with the GP :) Like you I was also all clear.

I agree about advert volume, I'm sure it must be counter productive because as soon as they start I mute them! We also find when we change channel the levels can vary hugely, especially between HD & non HD.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

FABlux wrote:LLL very glad the CT scan was all clear, it is so much better to get instant results isn't it? When we first registered for the French Health System I had a mammogram, an ultra sound & saw the consultant all in one appointment, after waiting for all of 3 days from the time I had my first appointment & medical with the GP :) Like you I was also all clear.

I agree about advert volume, I'm sure it must be counter productive because as soon as they start I mute them! We also find when we change channel the levels can vary hugely, especially between HD & non HD.

I'm glad it's not just us then, Fablux! The volume of our set seems to go up and down like a yo yo! :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

There's quite a clever used car advert sometimes, it's completely silent!

In the middle of all the usual cacophony the sudden silence can't fail to make me look up.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today I went for a Bone Density Scan (same Medical Company that did the CT Scan) only to find out they couldn't do the bone density scan as I'm still full of barium (awful stuff but a must drink for a CT Scan) and so they couldn't see my spine. Never once dawned on me when they booked my appointments that the Bone Density would have anything to do with the CT Scan. The Technicians openly apologized as it was their scheduler and they should have known not to book one test right after another so now I have to re-book.

The re-booking will happen next month as I'm not going to hang here in the States waiting 'til next week to have it done so will book it for another trip next month.

I quite like getting the results immediately and here I am - totally healthy. I did bloodwork last trip which was all totally normal, CT Scan totally normal (so am sure the Bone Density is also fine). Even when I've filled out all the paperwork saying 'no diagnoses, no prescriptions' I typically have the Doctor again ask me and then drill down that I don't have anything? and I'm sure I take NO prescriptions?.........(must be all my good living!)!!

Heading home tomorrow. Am thinking I'll get up at 5:30am to head for the 7:45am Ferry (which is the NEW Ferry) which will get me home around 10am-ish. It rained here so am sure it rained there which is good for all the gardens but if not I'll have to be watering by Saturday (my day to water).
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, why do you have to go so far for medical tests etc? Are there no medical centers closer to you?
FABlux

Post by FABlux »

That sounds like a real work up LLL! Do you have to make the trip across just for the tests or are you able to combine it with something else?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I definitely do combine my trip to the States with shopping, eating out, eating out more, shopping, sightseeing, eating and just enjoying being away.

I have valid Medical in the States and MUST pay for it so I fully intend to use it to the max.

Here although I do have a doctor he hasn't been stellar or even moderately interested or able or ???

About 2 yrs ago I started to get quite a sharp stabbing pain in my right side. I did go to see him and after he shrugged and mumbled something along the lines of "what would you like me to do?" he did order an ultrasound which with me bothering them almost daily took 3 months to get. Was diagnosed as having a tumour on my liver which this doctor declared as benign with no other tests (and he became rather irate when I asked him how he knew this).........so the pain continued until my appendix ruptured about a year later and after sitting on a chair in ER for 15 hours (although the last 3 hours I was in a bed) I was operated on at 1am or 2am. The surgeon prior to surgery was not optimistic as to what was wrong with me and had the nurse bring me a phone to call all my family. It was more than grim, scared the life out of me and the daughters but after they did finally operate they saw my appendix ruptured.

As I as home healing there was a big news article that they'd discovered after many many deaths on the Island of women with various cancers that we had a Radiologist who was reading test results but with something like 80% inaccuarcies. Quite a few women with breast cancer (which is how he was found out) died as they didn't get second opinions until way late. This was on the News and they encouraged anybody who had a bad diagnoses connect with them. I did (about a year ago or so now) but never heard back.

My mother (now deceased) waited 17 months to get a call so she could then MAKE an appointment with a Gastroenterologist. Then she waited another 19 or so months to see this man. She was full of cancer and passed prior to any treatment.

Most people here don't even have a family doctor as we don't have enough Doctors and the few we do have are all overworked, rushed and exhausted to the point of not really caring. My Doctor here doesn't know me nor does he even care to know me and will do nothing with or for me unless I suddenly become critical. I've had probably 6 office visits and they've yet to take my temperature, height/weight or blood pressure. IF I wanted a CT Scan to figure out why I still have this stabbing pain in my right side I could easily wait 2+ if not 3 yrs. About the same for Bone Density screening (which is just a matter of fact do it cause I'm now 65 in the States)

Soooooo because of the absolutely horrible state of medicine here I opt to go to the States. The Doctor there is excellent, actually knows me, ordered a complete blood work up that I get in the Lab in his office (he is in a big clinic), complete set of xrays (again in another section of the clinic he is in) and within 24 hours I get the results (I do have some granulomas in my lungs but apparently we all have these as we get older). He ordered a CT Scan and it was ME delaying it by a month so I'd make it another fun trip for me to go to the States......and I did get the results asap.

Basically there is lots of upset here in Canada. We have 1 MRI, 2 CT Scanners and a few ultra sound machines for the entire Island. Some people have to drive hours to get to one of these appointments too and then the scandal of having a Radiologist who caused the deaths of many due to his not reading the results of tests. The state of our technology is worse than abysmal here with ridiculously long wait lists with people literally dying to get to see a Doctor whereas where I go in the USA each Doctors Clinic has these (ultra sound, CT Scans, MRIs) and if they don't I (me only) can always go to one of the big Military Hospitals and that is like a walk in the park of the future with all the latest and greatest they have there.

Course our Prime Minister continues to give away BILLIONS of our tax dollars to every 3rd world country in the world and even 30 million to Hillary Clinton!! 10 million to a Jihadi Terrorist while we have less than adequate medical care.......