What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Picking the twins up from school today as Mondays are early release at 1:30pm. We'll go somewhere for a treat then back to their house so they can help me layer a quilt together. Much easier to have a whole contingent of little hands helping to hold corners than me messing around myself trying to keep it all straight. They love helping and doing any 'job' they can so it all works.

They've been talking about doing a business and I've been thinking "Vermiculture" for them as worms are sought after here. Sell a handful for $5. Been wondering though on a design for a box. I have a semi sun/shady spot that would totally work for them...........have to talk to them today about this idea and think on the actual logistics of it.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just got back from shopping, my favourite Merlot tipple was on offer at £1 a bottle off the usual price. Oooh! methinks I will get two at that price :up get home and unloading shopping from bags, take out large milk carton and 'chink' red wine bloody well everywhere, base fell off the bottle, all over my shopping and leaking out onto the tiled floor whilst slowly spreading under the kitchen units :cry: Some bloody bargain that was then. :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Oh crikey! I feel for you Horus, even though I don't drink these days, though I'd have been really upset if it was a single Malt. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The really annoying thing is that I have had bottles clink and chink before but never had one break :cry: My daughter bless her said "never mind Dad I will pick you another one up when I go shopping" Her heart is in the right place, but I am still a full bottle down on the deal :lol: :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Finally finished the second tuffet out of scraps. The only thing I bought were the bun feet. Not 100% happy with it but, then again, I seldom am with my own work. :(
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Not quite a tuffet - more like a footstool, but still a way of using up the scraps of the previous project!

Ps. Don't like the high density foam! :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - your new footstool (and I'd probably call it a footstool too) is GORGEOUS! What a totally creative way to sew it all together to use up the scraps! Lovely and functional too! You truly have a rare talent for design and i mean seeing a unique pattern in colours and putting it all together in a very pleasing way. Looks fabulous!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Pottery this morning and then I'm volunteering at the Blood Donor Clinic this afternoon and the sun is shining and it looks quite nice out there. The sun has been shining but the wind has been cold so been wearing a jacket for everything last couple of days.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Thanks LLL! :up As for design, crazy patch meets stained glass, I guess!
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Lovely as usual Ruby. I must say I find your work reflects your personality in the nicest possible way. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

That is lovely RS. fantastic work. :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I didn't see your posts 'til now. Quite different to have the bottom break off a bottle. That to me would have been the proverbial icing on the cake to a shopping day - to have that happen. Hopefully, at least, your daughter will be able to get you another bottle.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

H Hope your all cleaned up now & enjoying your bottle from your daughter ;) :up

RS your stool looks fantastic :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

The Users book that came with my little Nikon is in 6 different European languages, but not French, German or English so I had never bothered to look at it. I just took the camera out of the box and used it, but it hasn't needed to be recharged since I bought it 18 months ago.

I had a good idea yesterday, I chose Spanish because it came from Ibiza and Lo! I could work out that the little USB and 2 pin plug still in the box was all that was needed ;) with the addition of a 3 pin plug converter. Hurrah! Hadn't considered that it could charge from the mains, :oops:

Today I hope to find out why my Windows 10 laptop insists on downloading my photos in different places without my permission. If I can't then pictures will have to go on my Windows 8i :x
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

MD you will find that any of the 3 or 2 pin 240v little plug transformers that accept a USB lead will charge most stuff like cameras/tablets/Wifi speakers/headphones etc. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today am meeting up for morning coffee with a couple of gf. We all own rental property and this new Gov't is making MEGA changes to being a Landlord. I've sold since I returned to Canada all my houses and only have 1 unit left.

Tenants unions have increased and as there are many more Tenants than Landlords this new extremely Democratic Gov't has been pandering to them and has made many RETROACTIVE changes to signed and in place contracts i.e. if you rented your place for example April 2017 to April 2018 where by the Contract said the Tenant had to leave April 2018 the Gov't made that null and void. The Tenant no longer has to leave, Landlord can't make them and now they get to live by paying month to month. Most LL here rent via fixed term leases because if the Tenant refuses to pay rent, trashes the place, doesn't abide by rules you could get rid of them - now you can't.

Now the only way you can get rid of a Tenant is to serve notice you are moving into the unit yourself and if the Landlord do NOT move in they are fined and the Tenant gets the equivalent of 12 months rent!!

A tenant can trash the place, smoke in a no-smoking, bring in mega people/pets etc break many many rules and a LL can do nothing about it. Tenants are pushing very actively to be able to have pets with no rules. Here if you bring in certain breeds of dogs - any type of bully breed and especially a pitbull your Home Owner Insurance will automatically cancel so, of course, LL do not want this but how if a Tenant can move in any and all pets can a Landlord keep Insurance on their property. All a huge headache and totally biased to "Tenants."

Most LL over the past couple of years when all the new rules started coming in have sold their Rentals (the small people have) and so now the vacancy rate is less than 1% and people have no where to rent. Course once IN a place a Tenant can stop paying rent and you can't get them out either without months of court intervention and law enforcement refuses to get involved.

OR many LL are now not renting their places out so they're facing steep fines for having a vacant place. The fines average about $5000 (give or take a little bit) per year. Many people maintain vacation homes here and they're being fined too so lots of outcry over that.

Anyway - having a coffee this morning with two gf as the Gov't is bringing a Task Force here that will make recommendations this fall and we're going to go to the meeting so as to be able to state our concerns. I'm not convinced though that we will be able to say anything as the meeting are for BOTH LL & Tenants so I think it will end up in slanging or shout down.

After meeting the gf for coffee I'm heading downtown to the Building Permit Office to get draft plans of this house - coz - one the present Tenants leave (and they're very nice couple. The wife is from Chile and just got Canadian Permanent Residence and will be going to University in the fall) the suite (all houses here are now built with suites in a corner) I'm breaking through the wall so that "I" will have control of the entire house. No more suite for me but I will gain one huge sewing room for my quilts :) :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like a renting nightmare :td
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Being a LL is fraught with danger I think, doesn't matter where the property is.

My youngest daughter has a house share in central London and for years it worked quite well. Recently however she has three tenants from Hell even though she is living along side them,

Eldest daughter has a tenanted flat in Ibiza town centre. The English tenants paid one month's rent and lived there for a year until she managed to get them evicted, leaving the place absolutely filthy.

I sometimes do wonder if there are sub species of Homo Sapiens. :urm:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Horus wrote:MD you will find that any of the 3 or 2 pin 240v little plug transformers that accept a USB lead will charge most stuff like cameras/tablets/Wifi speakers/headphones etc. :up
Thanks Horus, but I had tried all the different kinds I have, but for the little camera the tiny end is much smaller than a phone charger for example. Glad I had kept the box, I always do which drives the girls mad. :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

No not the cable ends MD as these fall into several different types and in addition some leads that will fit into other devices will often not work for data transfer. I was referring to the actual charging plug that you often get supplied nowadays that have a standard USB outlet like this one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Standa ... ging+plugs