Solar

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Solar

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Few days ago I re-organized the back deck. I had lots of small plant containers on it that took me a long time to water as the deck gets full sun and is super hot. This meant daily watering and lots of work always watching to make sure nobody dried out.

Instead of plants on the planter I made this with solar lights and did another similar display at the other side of the back deck too. I more than like solar lights.

Not as nice as when the pots are full of flowers but the lights don't look overly bad and actually love quite lovely at night. I sunk solar lights that would normal get shoved into the ground into the plant pots and filled them with gravel to hold the lights in place.

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Solar

Post by Horus »

I have lots of solar lights, but the small circuit boards tend to corrode in our climate so they rarely last more than one year and of course they use a very cheap rechargeable battery. Having said that they do look nice and add a bit of interest in the garden, your little display looks very nice LLL :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

From all the pictures you have shown LLL, your backyard is looking great.
All this artistry, I think you missed your true vocation, Quilting, painting, sketching, pottery, horticulture, photography, is they no end to your skills LLL ;)
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks and "yes" my skills abound!! Not really but thanks - MOST of my skills came from "having to do it" when I was a kid and young adult. We truly didn't have anything frivolous (as in pictures or things to hang on walls) not because I couldn't afford them but because things like that were not found even in the stores. It was pretty basic day to day living here and even having ample $$ didn't give you the ability to get things so out of necessity I learned to sew, paint, macrame (that is an art form coming back into vogue here) and on and on.

As for solar - lots of my little lights are the cheapy cheap ones. They're lasting here about 2 yrs but so are the more expensive ones and buying a battery here is ridiculously expensive as in WHY would I pay $4 or $5 for a solar light then pay $9 for a replacement battery?

Some things are expensive here and batteries are one of them. And actually so are Solar lights.

In the States a cheapy solar light is .85 pennies to .95 pennies. Here the same light is $1.25 PLUS 12% tax PLUS an environmental fee (I think about .25 cents but I refuse to buy here so am not totally sure). We have so many fees on things it really makes shopping here expensive.

I do quite like solar and wish it was more advanced and developed. I have a few and looking to get more solar lights that are motion activated. They come on bright if somebody walks past them. Quite like these and wish I have a few more.