Should there be a strict no medication rule at all in sports

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Should there be a strict no medication rule at all in sports

Post by Mad Dilys »

So some sportsmen are using drugs to improve performance?

Of course, if you are feeble and can't run very fast some drugs will help your performance.

If you have asthma, you use drugs to help your breathing like Sir Steve Redgrave the famous gold medal winning rower, and even Sebastian Coe so would you be wrong to take part in competitive sport?

Undoubtedly being able to breathe improves performance.

Do those who have a medical condition which needs prescription drugs have an unfair advantage?

Would it be better to exclude people needing to take any medication for the duration of their treatment?

What a farce. :a23:

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Should there be a strict no medication rule at all in sp

Post by Grandad »

Playing devils advocate..............Performance enhancing drugs tend to improve performance by those narrow margins between winning and coming second, third etc. So why not do away with all this drug testing which is often questionable (like the Russians switching urine samples) and have an anything goes policy. At least those marginal 'clean' athletes could gain from performance enhancement.
It would then come down to whose medics are best at using these drugs?

Outrageous I know but at least the playing field would be a level one....wouldn't it?
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I find it extremely interesting that athletes are ok to use asthma medication and something like 65% (I can't remember the percentage I read but it was really high) of Olympians are apparently "asthmatic!" Really? Yet they can be disqualified if they take certain types of cold medication.

I'm with you Grandad I say take away all the rules re: medications and we'll see what emerges from the herd. Could be interesting. What would rampant steroid and medication use turn an athlete into? They could be so tall so muscle bound and so wired they'd literally be a blur or movement.

Can't put my finger on his name right now but the guy that rode bikes was a real shocking disappointment. I really thought that guy WAS practicing, WAS that good and to find out - Lance Armstrong (just came to me - it always does) he was a seven time cheat actually angered me. WHO, in terms of athletes, can one look up to now and with absolute certainty say they're true clean athletes?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LLL, this debate has started following allegations that Bradley Wiggins (and others), the first Brit to win the Tour de France, had used performance enhancing substances. He is part of Team Sky and I have little doubt that the big team of medics etc behind the cyclists would have the nous to push the rules to the limit and beyond.
I can also believe that individual athletes may and probably are, ignorant to the fact that they are exceeding the rules. I can imagine that their medics would prescribe a course of medications under some innocent guise which the athlete would not question. That might be pushing it but I think it could be possible SO maybe the athlete is not to blame in all cases?
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Totally agree with you Grandad, I think the athletes have no idea what they are taking, that's why the sponsors use qualified doctors to make it look OK

Personally I think an athlete should be on the side-lines all the time he/she is taking any kind of medication or supplements. In other words survival of the fittest. If injury or ill health crop up the tough, he or she is not the fittest.

Supplements can hide drugs, and if a person is super fit naturally they shouldn't need supplements.

I think it would even out the challengers because Sponsors would find it hard to choose who is going to stay at the peak of their fitness. I think it would make big business get out of the game. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I enjoy watching athletics and the indoor championships in Birmingham last week is the latest event to get my interest. There were some excellent performances but then, taking your final comment MD, how can this be an IAAF meeting (International Amateur Athletics Federation) when all the athletes are far from 'Amateur' in the old definition of the word. They are all sponsored with a support team behind them, most live abroad where training facilities are better, and the top performers end up with very expensive homes, some costing millions. Doesn't sound very amateur to me :?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

IMO there are very few amateur athletes left. Not too sure about there but here it seems we have the Sports Recruiters ambling through every so often to see if they can eyeball an up and comer and then offering to 'help' them. This help immediately takes them out of amateur status.

My gf's grandson is/was very good at Bastketball. He was born 13 pounds (OUCH!!!) and stopped growing at around 6'8". He was athletically inclined and from the time he was in his early teens AND good at basketball was scouted. He ended up with offers from American Universities, took one and has now both a degree as an Accountant plus a $5 million contract from one of the Teams there too. He isn't a super star but he is professionally good.