New Car

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

New Car

Post by Horus »

Well not quite new, but it does have low mileage ;)
I dont very often buy on impulse, but I did today :roll: As some of you know I now have a touring caravan for myself and Annie to get out and about in, I also live on the top of a hill which is great for the 300 degree vista, but hellish if we get snow in Winter. I often go and dig out the road to keep it clear, but find that I am really doing it for everyone elses benefit as few people offer to help, so I have considered getting something with a 4 wheel drive for sometime. I also found that my current car (a petrol engine) is about on the limit for towing because even as a MPV it is a bit on the light side in the correct weight ratio for my van. So! I have just gone for a 2 litre Diesel 4 wheel drive SUV, a Hyundai i-35 4x4, OK it is abit more expensive on the car tax by about £50 per year under the new rules and my insurance will maybe want another £100 per year on top. Now days I don't do big mileage so the fuel saving will probably offset that to a large degree and of course being a diesel the engine torque means it will fly up hills even towing, so hopefully by Friday afternoon I will have picked it up already to drive, just need to sort out my insurance ............. Oh! and of course pay for it :sd :lol:

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: New Car

Post by Grandad »

Well done H. :up My#1 son would endorse that choice.
He served his apprenticeship, went through the workshop, MOT tester etc then went on to sales where he has been for about 30 years. This was all with Peugeot which for many years was my car of choice.
About a year ago he moved to Hyundai within the same group, Motorline. He is full of praise for the Hyundai range and says they are the best cars he has driven.
So enjoy your new motor ;) :up
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't know much about cars but I do believe gas/petrol engines are on the way out AND I also do know from my trailer towing days (Ok - boat trailer!) that it is BEST to have something that is able to easily tow whatever is being hauled. Easily as in having lots of power to spare.

Sounds like you got a steal of a deal H!! :) :) :) Better to be confident in getting anywhere vs being worried or apprehensive about going up hills or snow etc. :)

I've only ever owned a few cars in my life and probably kept most past when I should have and see no need to buy new but now that I'm getting 'up there' I've been thinking having a newer VERY reliable vehicle is the only best option.

Hopefully you'll get an easy sale on your present vehicle too :) :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have sorted out my new insurance and my present insurers (the AA) only wanted another £50 to swap the cover over to the new vehicle until October …….. and they also gave me 14 days continuing free cover on the old one, so I could either drive it if there is a delay or if I need to do a road demonstration prior to selling it. The other result was that when I actually checked my current road tax against the new (emissions based) road tax bands, It was actually £50 cheaper with the new motor!!! result. :up

LLL, I am a bit like yourself and although I have had plenty of new cars in my time I can’t say I am a car fanatic, if it runs well and doesn’t give me problems then I tend to keep them a lot longer than most people probably would. As to selling on the old one, well I don’t think I will have a problem as it is in immaculate condition and if I say it only has 22,500 genuine miles on the clock I reckon the first viewer to turn up will buy it. I did not want to do a part exchange deal as I had not fully made up my mind what I wanted to do with it. Sadly it will have to go as there is now only myself to drive it, but secretly, should one of my kids or grand kids show an interest when they know I have a new car, then maybe they will get a good deal, as in free if they catch me in a good mood ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I've got a Hyundai coupe in Luxor, love it. :up
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Over the years the daughters have acquired various items when I've had them and either upgraded or updated. Has always worked for me or them and a car in pristine shape would definitely be a big PLUS for anybody! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Don't want to speak too soon, but my daughter phoned today to say she would not be across as she is catching up on her washing and ironing after her holiday in Mexico. I have not told her about the new car yet, but during the conversation she said that her husbands car was making a funny noise since parking it up prior to going on their holidays, deja vu anyone? :urm:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Yes, and my poor eldest son managed to limp home from work last night with dropping revs and the engine management light permanently on! :td
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Could't resist it H ;) :lol:

phpBB [video]
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Yes, and my poor eldest son managed to limp home from work last night with dropping revs and the engine management light permanently on! :td
Oh dear, that doesn't sound good :sd
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: @ Grandad, I was asking the same questions :lol: "What's that switch over there for?" and he said "traction control" :oops: :D