WHAT is happening in London NOW?

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

WHAT is happening in London NOW?

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Geez - been out all day doing this and that, came home and stained some cedar planter boxes.

Just in the door turned on TV and WOW - "BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS" re: London and a terror attack............

Again no details.... and now - MORE than ONE attack?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: WHAT is happening in London NOW?

Post by Horus »

Yes we are still being attacked by this home grown scum, repaying us for our past hospitality to them/their parents and no one is going to convince me that this is not connected to the teachings of Islam, it may not be the belief of all Muslims, but it is inspired by their holy book. The tally so far is 7 dead + 3 terrorists.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Up to around 50 injured, some seriously.

Although our security services are as good, or better, than anywhere else; how can you predict an attack by three scum in a white van carrying knives and randomly cutting peoples throats and calling 'This is for Allah'?

The security service relies on information from the public. I am certain that there are those who were aware or suspected this attack but did nothing to raise the alarm. Probably more concerned about their own safety. The next question will be, were these men known to MI5 and on their list of suspects. We are told there are around 23,000 on that list. How can you possibly put so many under surveillance? It is not possible so these and other fanatics will spring up from around the country.

We have a general election on Thursday and that could well be a target........
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Teresa May has just made a speech and she sounded like she wanted to bring in some more stricter controls and firmer actions saying “enough is enough” Basically that we are too tolerant of extremists in our country and it was time to act and respond differently, lets hope they do start to do something positive as it is getting out of hand. :xx
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Donald Trump was over ruled by his own legal system but his proposals were somewhat draconian. For a start I would refuse re-admission for anyone who has left the UK to visit one of the middle east training countries. I know that would be difficult because so often they travel through other countries but there must be a way.
If that causes upset for some people, hard luck. Either go and don't come back or stay here.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

We certainly have to do something drastic, anyone visiting one of these failed states is doing so for a limited amount of reasons. It is either to return and visit families in which case tough luck, they should never have left there to come here in the first place. Secondly if they have gone to fight then they should immediately have their passports cancelled and if they return they should be interned until they have been thoroughly vetted and if necessary locked up for life, tough yes!, but we have to act robustly or this will just keep escalating. Everyone on a terrorist watch list should also be rounded up and kept in a separate facility until it can be proven they are not a danger. Will it upset some people and communities? Yes it will, but we can’t have madmen running about hacking people to death, our safety comes before a communities sensitivity. During the war America interned a whole population of Japanese as they were deemed to be a threat, I am not advocating that, but it is my answer to those that say we have to be careful of alienating certain sections of our community, I cannot see that the Japanese internment had any long term detrimental affects on that countries minority Japanese group after the war ended. Mosques should be monitored 24/7 by surveillance cameras, if it is objected to, then that place should be closed until they comply, no more imported Imams or preachers, anyone supporting terrorist acts or groups should again be interned. Strict monitoring of all Web sites and pull down any that preach violence or terrorism, make the providers responsible, it can be done, trace all users of such sites and interrogate them. Make it clear that anyone who is an immigrant will be deported along with all his/her family members if they are involved in any subversive action, do not allow any sort of asylum seakers into the country until we have a strict system of scrutiny in place and our borders are properly policed. As we are leaving the EU then immediately renounce the freedom of travel rules that currently apply to us, its time to get tough or perish.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I agree with what you say Horus but would probably be more pro-active and hard hitting in dealing with any suspicions. Human rights would come into the argument but I am afraid that the Human Rights lobby has a lot to answer for. Too pacifist in my opinion.

I suppose the bottom line is, if we hadn't poked our nose into Iraq and Afghanistan and Libya, and even to lesser extent Syria, things may well have been different.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I don't think they would Grandad, people seem to forget that these Islamic extremists were attacking us well before these events.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

probably so H.

LLL, it has been confirmed that one of the victims was a Canadian national. To me it always seems even more sad when welcome visitors to our country become victims in these barbaric attacks. :(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I saw a report this evening that one of the attackers had been reported to the police for his increased radicalism. So why was he able to act as he did? As said earlier, you can't keep under surveillance everyone on the MI5 list but it now seems that there are around 3000 on a select list. That is not too many to keep tabs on, is it?
Or better still, if that is a select list why not round them all up for interrogation, and as appropriate, send them back to where they or their families come from.
Although middle east dictatorships were cruel, as long as you toed the line, life could be good. I am reminded of fairly recent Turkish presidential election when many thousands were arrested for their dissident views. After processing, most were released but at least they were taken out of circulation.
I know that sounds extreme but I really believe that such action needs to be taken or they will continue to 'cock a snoot' at authority and the establishment.
After Teresa Mays statement, her words are being interpreted as meaning longer sentences for more minor radical offences. What good is that? Those that commit major offences always end up dead AFTER they have committed their crimes against humanity.
Round them up and, where justified, get rid of them.......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This level of horrific tragedy is untenable. People cannot be subjected to random crazies who are going to scream and slash their throats and saying "something has to be done" is basically a ridiculous understand and SOMETHING should have been done YEARS ago!!

This is sad and tragic and something that should have never ever happened - NONE of it should have ever happened.

IMO drastic actions now need to be taken and if that means rounding up everybody then that means rounding up everybody.

IF your name appears on any list for any reason you're subject to being basically held and if there is even the remotest glimmer that you're engaged in anything untoward you're gone.

Sadly our current Prime Minister Trudeau is going a "Merkel" in that he is actively bringing in everybody AND giving them immediate citizenship which only means we'll NEVER get rid of them! There does not seem to any stops on him and his entire focus since elected has been to ignore all Canadian issues and focus on Islamic issues. Our newspaper just has him breaking his FAST on the first day of Ramadan and eating the evening meal.........

It is very disheartening to see what the UK is going through knowing that sooner or later it is also going to start here AND our current PM has also pushed through legislation making it a CRIME in Canada to saying anything negative re: Islam. We now have laws precluding us from speaking out against Islam.

Seems the entire world has gone crazy and unfortunately soon drastic measures will have to be taken.

No news here on WHO the Canadian national was BUT because of our new laws re: saying anything against Islam this may not be reported because it could fall under the category of speaking out against Muslims. CRAZZEEEEEE MAKING to say the least.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

BTW - I believe YOUR PM May is totally correct when she says the UK has been way too tolerant for too long.

AND - just now the TV News has announced the Canadian National has been identified (30 yr old young woman) and apparently the FAMILY is saying she believes "all people have to loved and understood"!!!!!

Our PM is 'heartbroken' at this young woman's death. No other comment(s) from him. She IS actually from Castlegar, British Columbia (western Canada).

Rather sickening that NOBODY here is expressing (on the News anyway) any level of shock or outrage or anger
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

What is emerging from the Saturday night carnage at London Bridge is the many acts of bravery by both police and members of the public. Of particular note is the police officer, armed with just his baton, who tackled one of the attackers. He received serious stab wounds but is in a serious but stable condition according to reports. There were members of the public who had a go by thowing bottles and glasses at the scum.
London and other major cities are well drilled in responding to these events and the three scum were all shot dead within 8 minutes of the alarm being raised. Still too long for those murdered or injured but quick enough to reduce what might have been even greater carnage.
I watched the concert at Old Trafford cricket ground last evening organised to raise funds to help those affected by the Manchester Arena bombing less than 2 weeks earlier. Full marks to Ariana Grande for leading the organising of the concert and for doing a great job in acting as MC.
I must confess that during the concert, thoughts went through my mind; would some radical scum really do something to destroy the party? Happily not and the event went off well and in respectful mood.
Well done Ariana......you have a new fan. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I agree Grandad. It was a very emotional programme as the songs were chosen so well.

I say the songs, but I'm not much of a fan of any of the music, but the words - per subtitles were so appropriate and moving. I wept most of the time, thought I had myself under control and then Ariana sat on the steps and sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow so beautifully and I was gone.

As I watched and saw the crowd so united, I thought how strange humanity is. Especially as people like to be in an emotional group, to be close and identify with them. All emotions, whether it's laughter, tears or anger always seem more intense in a group or crowd and inspire a sense of unity.

Is this what attracts the monsters in our midst to join together? They are regarded as misfits by most people, but together they have a place at last, joined together not in love and hope but hatred and violence, which give them a perverted feeling of self-worth and satisfaction?
Smile! It confuses people
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

PS I've just remembered what an archaeologist who was working on the Temple of Toth told me. He said they were surprised by the amount of evidence of early Christianity.

Apparently there were many early Christian converts who were hermits in the mountains of the West Bank. There were no churches as such at that time - the hermits sought solitude to worship, only being infrequently in touch with either their admirers or other hermits from time to time.

It occurred to them that as they individually died that there was a risk that their religion might die to, so it was incumbent on them to meet together with others interested and also to teach the fundamentals of Christianity to others.

Thus the one of the first "churches" was at the ruined Temple of Toth, apparently chosen because of it's remoteness.

Of course there is a huge emotional reaction from joining together in religion whatever it may be. Hmm. This subject is really making me think. :tk
Smile! It confuses people