What are you doing today?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What are you doing today?

Post by Horus »

Kimchee, can't say iv'e ever heard of that one :tk

Robbo, do they have to hook you up seperately to get your own genny?

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Kimchi or kimchee is a mix of cabbage, squid plus mega other ingredients that you make, mix and ferment. You can eat it fresh or wait 'til it is fermented. I have never tried to make it as it is a long process requiring too many steps so I prefer to buy small containers of it when I fancy a hot meal.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

Todays exciting job is to take Lennon, my rottie back to the supervet in Chester for a check up after his spinal surgery 2 weeks ago. While he is still wobbly, he is mobile and walking, and would be running if he were allowed, so I think he is improving. I shall leave home at 10, for an alleged 30 minute drive, which takes more like an hour because of road works, and hope to be home again for lunch.
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

:o Yuk fermented Cabbages & Squid? cant say I fancy that much LLL :sk

@Robbo, what did he do to injure his spine?
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I wish I knew H, but the vet suggests its just a genetic poor breeding that has given him weak spinal bones. He ruptured a disk which then leaked its goo into the spinal column area and hardened, and put pressure on the chord itself. Pinching the nerves meant his back end collapsed and his reflexes were poor. today, he is walking well, albeit a bit wobbly, or 'minces' rather than struts as the vet put it. In fairness, he is a poor example of the breed. He is too tall, too long and as daft as it sounds, at 55kg is underweight for his build because he is too lean, but he will be staying too lean to keep the pressure off his joints. Now the clever bit is keeping him relatively calm and stopping him doing anything stupid while he builds up his strength again. He wants to charge about, and jump and dance at the windows... I am having many nervy moments keeping him still
Dont get your knickers in a knot. It solves nothing and just makes you walk funny
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I "WAS" going to go this afternoon for an Ashiatsu massage where they walk on your back BUT cause it is snowing sideways, downways and allways the Masseuse called and cancelled me 'til next week - bummer. Then I was going to do my stint as a volunteer at the local Blood Bank late today. I'm still scheduled to go to the Blood Bank but I'm kinda thinking that if the heavy snow keeps up there might not be too many people coming in to donate.

Now I got figure out what to do to amuse me 'til late this afternoon.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I "WAS" going to go this afternoon for an Ashiatsu massage where they walk on your back BUT cause it is snowing sideways, downways and allways the Masseuse called and cancelled me 'til next week - bummer. Then I was going to do my stint as a volunteer at the local Blood Bank late today. I'm still scheduled to go to the Blood Bank but I'm kinda thinking that if the heavy snow keeps up there might not be too many people coming in to donate.

Now I got figure out what to do to amuse me 'til late this afternoon.
Go and do some patchwork? :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - Was thinking just that - I have 6 quilt tops done waiting to get the backing put on and then quilted so I 'could' do that. So far I've had another cup of coffee, watched the little birds feeding on the feeder out front, took a picture of the snow out back and then decided to finish knitting the winter cap I've been working on - BUT - then decided to fritter away at email before starting.

Got this 'joke' - but it IS kinda true - especially around here with all the guys with these huge high 4 wheel drive trucks

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Done my shopping, plus washed, dried and replaced all the fancy crystal, hoovered the living room and changeed a duff light bulb in a cluster of 5 and just to say Robbo that I succumbed to buying another Caramel & Sea salt Irish Cream :lv and a bottle of Advocaate and a bottle of Port and a bottle of Ameretto, hic hic :wi

Oh nearly forgot, took Annie to the hairdresser for a trim, shampoo and set, she looks lovely as usual, returned smelling of perfume, nails clipped and a little Red and Green velvet Bow on a collar as a present from the groomers, she is posing at the moment and will be worse when my daughter sees her and starts ooing and ahhing :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today I am mostly going t be mending the bed in the spare room.

I have been sleeping in my daughters four poster while I'm housesitting, but the mattress is far to soft and has given me spasms in my old back injuries.

The spare bed is a cheap crap item that she's been going to renew for years. It has wooden slats under the mattress and I found it quite comfortable, but unfortunately one of the slats, right where you sit down has a huge knot hole. I sat rather heavily one day and bust it.

I made a temporary fix with my lightweight plywood drawing board which worked for a few months, but then the 1"x1" attachment ledge broke. This fiddling little ledge is actually in three pieces and the middle section has broken splitting part of the frame.

I reckon that if I get a bigger sheet of ply is will spread the load and may stop me falling through again. If it was my bed, I would make a permanent fix by replacing the slats and making a heavy duty ledge - but daughter says no, she is going to get rid of it.

Been a while since I did any woodwork. I recently found an unused workbench and a huge pile of tools in the shed here. I asked my late husband to give me a Black and Decker workbench for Christmas once, but I got drain rods I think instead. Bless him he was no handyman, but I started helping my father when I was a toddler. I still remember cutting my thumb on a chisel when I was four!
Smile! It confuses people
Jayway
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Horus, have you tried Premium Cream Liqueur, about 5 UK from Makro? I tried all the Baileys at the airport and didnt like any of them. As its cloudy today I will be juicing oranges on my little machine and freezing in Flora plastic boxes (which a friend gave me years ago and they never wear out) (( UN-ROTTABLE, SAME AS THE CONTENTS WERE)) then decanting into plastic bags into a crate for summer. The tangerines I do after as I love the juice to drink now. Village butcher gave me huge bones, the big dog is managing ok, the little dog is trying hard to get it up into her armchair, never happen. No rain yet, cauliflower for dinner.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ MD, looks like you have yourself a fair job on your hands. The problem with that sort of thing is once the main structure fails it is often very difficult to put the strength back in again. If you have a split on the supporting timber, can you not put a piece of steel angle iron underneath and fix it with screws to add some strength.

@ Jay, I no longer have a Macro card so don’t visit there anymore and I never found them that cheap unless you were buying something in bulk and even then not a lot of savings. I reckon the likes of Aldi can compete on the cheap prices now days.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I have been sorting out my work tops in the kitchen, ready for the onslaught on Boxing Day, putting up and decorating the tree, and now am about to start cooking a spaghetti Bol for dinner. :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I found some well seasoned (been there for years) which is 2"x1" in old money about 9ft long behind the shed.

I've put the old bed bits back together but need some screws to put the above re-inforcing under the crap 1"x1" ledge. The middle section had previously been held in place with three 1.5" nails, well only a smidgin bigger than tacks actually. I guess this is called Built in Obsolescence?

Having glued the offending plank back together I shall bandage the knot hole join with heavy duty duct tape. This is only a hands-breadth from the bed frame and will be supported by the plywood. It's a temporary job, if I get time I will remove the slat from the head of the bed which has no knots in it and doesn't take heavy weight and swop it with the offending slat. Shouldn't take long, but don't know if my arthritic hands can unscrew them. Hmmmm I think I'll have some time over Christmas to explore the pile of tool boxes under the stairs, I'll enjoy that and I might find a power drill. :up
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Seems like both of you are going to be busy ;)
Just had a blitz on the kitchen floor tiles and will do the worktops tomorrow. That just leaves me to hoover bedrooms and PC room and clean bathroom, I just wonder who scums it all up as it isn’t me, so I blame the cat and dog.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sun is out today so I've been sipping coffee and watching all the different birds tackle the suet ball I put out. Daughter and granddaughter over for a morning cuppa pending the granddaughter go see a dental surgeon. One of her bottom baby teeth never came in and now that she is old enough to accomplish an x-ray the Dentists concluded that this tooth got somehow 'broke' in her jaw under the gumline and/or is just deformed in a V shape but MUST come out as it could just arbitrarily abscess at any time. (YIKES!)

Finished knitting another wool cap as a Christmas prezzie so am now off to the wool shop after I stop for a scone and cuppa ;)

Not too sure what the afternoon will bring. I'm caught up with most everything. Maybe swan watching as I think the back trail is dry enough I can get down there and from what I can see out there there are ONLY 2 swans this year. Last year there were 8 but so far after the initial flock landing I can only see 2. Am hoping more are nesting and will appear but ?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Miserable day, rainy drizzle, I bet it will be dark by 3.30 pm today. :(
As it is Saturday I like to tune all my TV's onto Radio 4 so that I can listen to a couple of amusing comedy programs, then a topical one called 'Any Questions' followed by 'Any Answers' from listeners. The reason for having several TV's on (usually 3) is so that I can move around the house doing all my little chores whilst still listening to the programs. I should be having a few visitors over the weekend and a guest for dinner on Sunday, so its a case of get everything done today. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Totally blah today. No sun, just enough drizzle to be annoying and wherever the sun is it is NOT here. Even the swans were standing on a hassock of bulrush sleeping with their heads under their wings when I looked outside around 11am trying to think of what to do. Took a bunch of Christmas stuff I'm never going to use again to a local Thrift Shop then took myself for a coffee and muffin. Ran into the fellow I've used to do electrical work for me. He was out grocery shopping with the wife and kids. We chatted for a bit and told him I'd be calling him mid-February as I've got some stuff to do then - then I came home. Turned the hot tub on as decided I'd go soak my old bones early today so that once I'm back IN the house I'm IN for the rest of the night.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Little bit brassed off today, my son should be visiting, but my guest cried off at the last minute. :urm: I wouldn't really mind but I had prepared all the food and gotten in some extra stuff especially that I know they like, ah well. Sometimes I think that I care a bit much for other people than they actually care for me, I never if ever let anyone down, but sometimes think that others do not have the same consideration for me. However just spent an enjoyable few hours with a couple of very good mates having a few beers, although I fear that one of them is quite ill but is keeping it to himself, life seems prettyy **** at the moment. :(
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - I hear ya.

I'm not close to my brother but every year I've usually asked them to come to my house for Thanksgiving, Christmas (albeit Boxing Day for the past few years) and Easter. They all come but never once have I been invited to their place. Last year I invited them all (all being my bro + wife + 3 adult kids + partners) and nobody replied with a 'yes' or 'no.'

I went ahead and cooked the turkey Boxing Day cause it is tradition I do this (cause I like eating turkey) and cause my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids were coming. I finally heard Boxing Day morning that my brother and all his family were "on the road" and "en route" to my house as they were tired from shopping. Sooooo Ok - you came down to shop, didn't confirm with me 'til you got tired and then arrived for an hour, ate and left.

This year I haven't asked them to come at all. I had surgery end Nov, have been recouping and just don't feel like going to ALL the WORK and not even get a confirmation of my invite 'til 30 minutes before they actually arrive. I've had a couple email hints from my S-I-L but I've been neutral in my response. I figure that after 30 yrs if the invite can't work in the other direction then I'm just not going to play anymore.

I've come to the same conclusion that you have H that I'm going way over and above for others who really aren't even giving me the time of day. I've known this for a while and never wanted to start a family feud about it so always maintained status quo so while I'm not really making a New Years Resolution about anything I'm "changing" come 2016 - well - I've changed now but figured I'd frame it as a New Years Resolution ;) ;)