Dahlia Gardening Question

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Dahlia Gardening Question

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This time next week I'll be moving......

This year I grew a few pretty different dahlias which grow from tuberous roots. IF I was to cut the tops off and dig out the root (just like I'd do in the fall) would they be ok? Or is this too early?

Don't want to kill the plant needlessly if they won't survive anyway but I definitely want to take a couple of the more unique coloured ones I have if they'd last being dug up now. Thoughts?

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Dahlia Gardening Question

Post by Horus »

Dig them up and put the tubers into some dry peat or compost and store them somewhere dry. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Will do - that is what I've done to over winter them so figured I'd do the same thing now however they're still actively growing so was hoping that digging them up wouldn't arbitrarily kill them. Guess will see! :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well if they are still growing then just dig up the tubers with as much soil as possible around them and put the root ball into a black plastic bag and poke a few holes in the bottom after you have tied the top of the bag around the foliage, keep them in the shade and keep lightly watered and avoid the root ball becomming waterlogged. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've got my 2 favourites transplanted into pots now. Cut them back severely but am thinking they should be good 'til next year. If I lose 'em - oh well - not like dahlia tubers are hard to find! :P

I've decided to leave the rest for the new people moving in here.

The deer came through here last night (I can see their foot prints in the garden beds), nipped off all my geraniums which I'd moved to the front in prep to move and seemingly they jumped or stood in the middle of one of my large ceramic pots and broke off a big chunk of it. Not a chip - a chunk with plants falling out so now I've got to re-pot this :( :( Will definitely be VERY happy to get out of deer territory. This nightly herd coming through here is awful. Wouldn't mind but they are so destructive. Last night they totally ate down all the big bush of Coral Bells and took big chomps out of the Bergenia. At least they left all my Hen and Chicks alone that I have planted in pots. Usually they just bite out the middle, spit it back out or bite and yank the plant out of the ground.

My daughter lives a couple miles away and rarely rarely rarely ever sees a deer. You can tell the difference of the street presence too. Her street is full of people with gardens! This area has very little colour as most people just get tired of combating deer.

Five more sleeps and I'll be outta here and will then knock off complaining about Bambi!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Hope the move goes smoothly :up