Juicing

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Juicing

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I recently got a prezzie of a Breville Juicer (ho hum) and it sat on the counter and I didn't much think about it 'til a week or so ago when I got back home. Went to Coombs (to stock up the fridge) http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regions/towns/?townID=49 which is a sort of touristy type place that has the BEST fresh veggies and fruit ever.

Bought beets, parsley, spinach - all sorts of greens and fruits and started to "juice" AND have been amazed at how delicious the grinding up and extracting out juice is. Have to admit I did turn my nose up at it but really really really this fresh juice each and every morning IS delicious and I swear that having done this now for 1 week I'm feeling BETTER!

Now this juicer is starting to really truly impress me and I want recipes! Anybody else juice? Have detox recipes? Any recipes of combinations that taste good?

(So far I'm just juicing up whatever I happen to have and drinking red cause the beets are turning everything red)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Juicing

Post by Horus »

I tend to just eat fruit each day.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Me too - eat fruit however recently watched a Documentary (produced in 2012 - name escapes me) and it was focusing on the state of nutrition in the world. How we're eating additives, food that can last a few decade without degrading, swayed by advertising blah blah blah. One small section of this dealt with the future and what options we could have to get super good nutrition if growers and manufacturers of food keep on the track they've been. This section talked about juicing and how if we actually drink juice it is so much more easily absorbed by our systems and provides such super high levels of nutrition.

I looked into this and know "I" started talking about juicing which is what was taken as a clue and cue re: gift for Grandma aka me.

I haven't really researched recipes and the booklet that came with the juicer only has a few. I'm 100% convinced that juicing IS the way to go cause I like the idea of nutrients being so readily and easily absorbed, you can SEE all the rich green foods your drinking and after a week I'm feeling much better and I'm attributing this to drinking juice. Although I saw the perks of juicing I was also prepared to hold my nose and gulp down fast a morning shot of juice but this is really not the case at all. Am more than pleasantly pleased at how good the juice actually tastes. Don't think I've ever eaten the variety of GREEN stuff I'm getting on a daily basis either.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

LLL, is a juicer the same as a Smoothie maker? Because I've had one of those in the cupboard for a few years now but never used it! The same with the pasta machine! Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time! :tk
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Hmmm - I don't think so. This is what I have http://www.sears.ca/product/breville-ju ... REBJE200XL

This extracts juice from veggies and fruit and puts everything through a fine mesh.

I have to admit I thought I'd be holding my nose, doing one gulp followed by a quick swig of coffee to wash away the taste however the stuff that this machine is making is delicious!!

Every morning I'm grinding up half a cucumber, half a BIG beet (need to buy smaller beets + greens), handful of NZ spinach, handful of parsley and cilantro, half a small apples, 1 rib of celery, 1 carrot and half a fresh lemon. I've also had some strawberries so been throwing a couple of those in too.

The most amazing thing I've found is the sweetness of this mix. More than palatable AND via juice I'm eating MORE greens and veggies than I've eaten normally in a week. From reading about juicing part of the idea is that the juice is much more easily absorbed by the system than if you're chewing and eating. I've become a convert to juicing. Now that I'm organize it is taking me about 20 min/morning to make the juice + clean up.

AND the other attestible bonus is I'm starting to feel super better (not that I felt bad before I just feel better now) and I think my skin is starting to be less dry....
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

I adore fresh juice, but cannot come at vegetables. One of the things I love about being in Egypt is the availability of fresh juices, not just fizzy drinks, bottled water or non-fresh juices as in eateries back home. Orange, lemon, strawberry, mandarine are my favourites.

I used to juice my own for breakfast, but it is messy and time-consuming to get a decent quantity. I now prefer to just eat the orange or mandarine as is; it is better for you than just juice as you get all the fibre and it is more 'filling" too, which is good to "exercise your innards", so to speak.
Carpe diem! :le:
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

I adore fresh juice, but cannot come at vegetables. One of the things I love about being in Egypt is the availability of fresh juices, not just fizzy drinks, bottled water or non-fresh juices as in eateries back home. Orange, lemon, strawberry, mandarine are my favourites.

I used to juice my own for breakfast, but it is messy and time-consuming to get a decent quantity. I now prefer to just eat the orange or mandarine as is; it is better for you than just juice as you get all the fibre and it is more 'filling" too, which is good to "exercise your innards", so to speak.
Carpe diem! :le:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I am with you about the taste of veggie juice - thought it would be awful but was totally very suprised to taste this very sweet refreshing concoction.

Best juice in the world is manga min fed lak :)