GIMP DISCUSSIONS

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: GIMP DISCUSSIONS

Post by Kiya »

Here is my attempt with straight lines tutorial, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be :( I was either out the grid or too far in :(

Looking again I see there is room for improvement :)

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thats really good Kiya :up and you will no doubt be very pleased to know that there is an even EASIER way to draw your straight lines :lol: :lol:
That will be posted as Part 4, and after you have done it Kiya don't forget to use your Bucket Fill to make everything inside the lines white and you will have your perfect Saltire flag. After that I will leave you all alone for a while to take in what you have already printed up and just keep posting little art examples every now and again to perk up your interest. ;)

EDIT: The final Grid part 4 has been posted
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Just showing my finished Saltire.

I might try my ghostly monk over the weekend, lets hope I get it this time :urm:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Smashing job you have made of that Kiya :up so now you know all about how useful grids can be and how to draw nice straight lines. :D
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well done Kiya, you are well ahead of the class. :up Not too sure about the black border on your Saltire though? You are still streets ahead of me with the tutorials though. :)

And Horus, the thought occurred to me after all your guidance through Gimp that this really is quite a powerful editing program, much more so than I realised when I first downloaded it a couple of years ago. I think the main hurdle is finding your way around it because, as you said at the outset, it is not as intuitive as other editors but once you get that sorted it can do many of the things that the expensive programs can do. So :br: the Gimp.
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Grandad it was just trial & error using the black borders & a break away from wrapping Xmas pressies :) but more than likely the white would be best I'm sure :)

Horus I kept the grid on while I was doing the borders which helped a little :)

And I agree with Grandad Gimp is a great program, don't think I'll bother up grading Elements7 now :urm:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote: "don't think I'll bother up grading Elements7 now" :urm:
I expect you are getting the same invitations as me Kiya to upgrade. But be care ful ;) ;) Know what I mean :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Personally I would stick with GIMP plus any other programmes you may already have installed, I would also decline any offers to upgrade your 'paid for' software.
There is so much stuff in the free Gimp programme that it will take you ages just to find it all out, so why bother paying again for something that you can almost certainly do with what you have already. Don't be fooled by the fact it is free, so is one of the best Word Processing bits of software 'Open Office' just like the Microsoft version, but put together by very capable programmers and put on the net for free download, nothing illegal about it all perfectly legit, these guys just don't like the major rip-off prices of some software companies so make it their bussiness to provide 'open source' code to anyone who wants to use it and/or improve on it. Open Office for example will interact with all types of MS Office doccuments and Gimp will use most commands and features common to Photoshop, it will also import most of the free add ons such as Brushes that were originally designed for other programmes. So my advice is to stick with it until you make up your mind that you need a specific piece of software for a particular reason and if you can't do it with what you already have then think of buying it, but not before. ;)

Edit: Here is the sort of thing I mean, as you can see you haven't even started with text yet, all done in Gimp. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Wow Horus, I thought i was beginning to make some progress and then you come up with that :xx :lol:

Mrs G went out in the cold this morning to do the weekly shop. :(

I stayed in the warm and played a little with Gimp. :lol:

Anyhow, I took this picture of a ladies shoe shop display at Bluewater that I rather liked and added a few Gimp tweaks to make it, IMO, a little more striking.

I used colour popping, masks, sparkle, layers, blinds and quite a few tools. My aim was to emphasize the red shoes. What do you think :?:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Definitely a big improvement Grandad, you should nip into the shop and show it to them, maybe get Mrs G a free pair of shoes ;)
I like the subject it is very unusual and just goes to show what you can do with a bit of lateral thinking.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

You two have been busy I see, don't know how I missed the multi coloured " Kiya " pic Horus although I remember reading the post :o & very nice it is too, hope you don't mind but I have downloaded it :)

And Grandad shame on you ;) letting Mrs G shop by herself in this cold weather unless of course she is out getting your surprise Xmas pressie ;) :)

Your shoe photos are great, I've seen the day I could have worn them without a second thought :) nowadays I think it would feel I'm walking on stilts with the size of em heels :lol:

Between yesterday & today I've been back at trying the ghostly monk, tried so much that I end up with a splitting headache :? don't know what it is but at times the tools are not doing what it supposed do! so Horus can you give me your way of doing the ghostly monk ?

Sorry Grandad no offence but I have tried your way dozen's of times & I cant get it , I'm so :x with myselfthat I need to know if it will work Horus' way.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya I think the reason you may have missed it was because I added it later to the post as an edit. :)
Glad you liked it and you are most welcome to use it, if you want a version without that 'orrible' scarab, I can email you one. :up

Regarding the ghostly monk picture, I think I told you that I had done my version in Photoshop by mistake, thats why I left it to Grandad to explain, but if I get some time I will have a look at it in Gimp. ;)
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Ah I remember now you said you did it in Photoshop, Ok when you have the time to do it in Gimp, just I need to see if I can get it :)

Yes send me the Kiya pic via email...thanks :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Already sent :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote: And Grandad shame on you ;) letting Mrs G shop by herself in this cold weather unless of course she is out getting your surprise Xmas pressie ;)
We do most things together Kiya but the weekly shop, NO NO NO. :( She wouldn't want me and complains about all the sad little men pushing the trolley and constantly taking things off the shelves and asking "do we want this, and, this is good value" etc.... Domestic shopping is woman's stuff, like washing and ironing and cooking. ;) ;) :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Your right Grandad us women are multi talented ;) :) what would you men do without us :D
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I agree 100% with Grandad, Mrs H hates me going shopping with her, I an too impatient at the checkouts, I browse the shelves and get annoyed at all those badly parked trolleys in the aisles so she leaves me at home. :up I also agree about the other domestic jobs, strict division in our house and I have never once asked her to stick her arm down a sewer drain pipe up to her elbows, change a tyre, mix concrete, fill a waste skip, lay carpets or repair any household appliances, however, I have burnt a shirt, broken best China plates and once I even boiled an egg all on my own with only a little help from her, mind you she was in the maternity ward at the time when I phoned for instructions. ;)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

duplicated??? Remove please H
Last edited by Grandad on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Kiya wrote:What would you men do without us :D
I suppose we would have to do that "Having a baby" thing that you all go on about for the rest of your days, along with all the other things, some of which Horus has mentioned. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus I suppose I could have a damned good try with everything you mentioned, thats if some one showed me first ;) Huh! down drainpipes well if I can change shitty nappies upteem times & clean the toilet after you men I could go down any drainpipe any day :roll:
BTW if you'd broken my china I would break your neck :lol:

Now Grandad I don't go on about Having a baby I loved every minute being pregnant 3 times over, Ok the last few hours wasn't so good & who was so awkward of being born...my ( male ) son.......typical ;) :lol: :lol: