The song that reminds me of Egypt

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BillH

The song that reminds me of Egypt

Post by BillH »

Here is my "Egypt song"
Its by another extremely talented group named Styx. Tommy Shaw is the lead singer and guitar player. Simple and sweet.

Bit like "row row row your boat", only that song was a metaphor..

Anyone else have an "Egypt song" or tune they wish to share.. ?

In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Nice choice Bill and I can see why it reminds you of Egypt :)
I have not really got one that fits this particular post, but I do have some that remind me of other places in the world. Like most people I tend to associate songs with events and places so i suppose somewhere in the depths of my mind there is one for Egypt. ;)
BillH

Post by BillH »

Music can certainly invoke memories Horus, so it's kind of a reverse situation.
A Palindrome would be a good analogy of this topic title :)
In the Tree by the Brook, there's a song bird who sings, Sometimes ALL of our thoughts are misgiven..
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

There are a couple of tracks that remind me of Egypt - I can't remember what they are called and will have to wait until I get home to see if I can find them. The first one is of pan pipes, I think played by Tito Rodriguse - why does this remind me of Egypt - it was my first visit to the VOK 20 years ago when you had to walk through the coffee shop - when we arrived this particular track was playing - a few hours later on our return it was playing again. The second is from the same trip but this time in Alexandria - it's on a tape so I doubt if I still have it but I used it as the backing track for the video I made - it's what I would call typical egyptian belly dancing music.
BillH

Post by BillH »

How do kids remember the Alphabet ? Music is the the teacher..

Interesting that so far, Neither of us has chosen an Arabic song as a reminder of Egypt :?
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

...until now!

When I play Amr Diab's "Rehat Elhabaib", I am transported to the old Luxor ferry, where a young man I was sitting next to was playing it on his mobile to a friend. I got him to write the title for me then tracked it down on a CD (The Very Best of Amr Diab" - www.kanzy.co.uk). It was the first Egyptian pop song I heard that didn't set my teeth on edge. I love it for the music, words and mental images of Luxor it invokes. Later I found out it was one of my husband's favourites, too!

Still on the Nile... when I hear "my Heart Will Go On" the theme from "Titanic", I am instantly on my husband's friend's felucca that we always use. I hate the song with a passion, and he is now banned from playing it when we are on board, but it does bring back wonderful memories of drifting along while sipping on scalding hot and sickly sweet chai, kids running and waving from the West Bank, Banana Island walks, watching village life on the shoreline, and especially the magnificent sunsets.

George Michael singing "Older" takes me back to late-night-into-the-early hours relaxing in the cool breeze after hot days, on the balcony of our apartment rented during our Cairo honeymoon. The iPod was always playing, and we always had to hear that song at least once, for the moody music and his voice, though neither of us are GM fans as such.

There are 2 tunes from my belly dancing classes that get me dreaming, too, as I have since heard them in restaurants/cafes in Egypt.

Sigh! Drat you Bil, you've fanned the feelings I am trying to keep damped down, as I am missing my husband soooooooooo much, and am so homesick for Egypt! :x :cc
BillH

Post by BillH »

Sorry W.I. emotion is not a bad thing though, it makes you feel alive at least. ;)
You really do need to have a word with your dear hubby about his choice in music though.. Celine Dion must have sold out for the Titanic song, she is capable of so much better...

However, I am not ashamed to say that I have shed a tear or two whilst listening to music. 8)
Winged Isis
Top Member
Top Member
Australia

Post by Winged Isis »

That's okay, Bill, it doesn't take much to set me off lately anyway. Also, today you were supplanted by.... a donkey! As I went for my daily walk, I heard one braying, and suddenly there I was on the roof terrace of our apartment in Fayrouz, hearing the one tied up neat the bakery! :cc

It's his friend that owns the felucca that thinks it a great joke to play the Titanic song on a boat! Thankfully my husband has better taste.

I'm always moved by the music used in the Aussie movie "Galliopli". It makes me think of my grandfather in WWI trenches at the Somme.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

This song always reminds of Egypt and is one of my favourites. I know this is an american version. The words of this song holds lots of sybmolism for me.

Love this version with this photo too.....

I dream of rain
I dream of gardens in the desert sand
I wake in vain
I dream of love as time runs through my hand

I dream of fire
Those dreams that tie two hearts that will never die
And near the flames
The shadows play in the shape of the mans desire

This desert rose
Whose shadow bears the secret promise
This desert flower
No sweet perfume that would torture you more than this

And now she turns
This way she moves in the logic of all my dreams
This fire burns
I realize that nothings as it seems

I dream of rain
I wake in vain

I dream of rain
I lift my gaze to empty skies above
I close my eyes
The rare perfume is the sweet intoxication of love

I dream of rain
I wake in vain

Sweet desert rose
Whose shadow bears the secret promise
This desert flower
No sweet perfume that would torture you more than this

Sweet desert rose
This memory of hidden hearts and souls
This desert flower
This rare perfurme is the sweet intoxication of love
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Great choice LLL :) one of my favourites by Sting. :D
Christine
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Christine »

One of my fav celine songs also reminds me of egypt as it was a favourite of a very good friend, its " Because you love me " :)
You get out of life what you are prepared to put in!
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Bearded Brian wrote:There are a couple of tracks that remind me of Egypt - I can't remember what they are called and will have to wait until I get home to see if I can find them. The first one is of pan pipes, I think played by Tito Rodriguse - why does this remind me of Egypt - it was my first visit to the VOK 20 years ago when you had to walk through the coffee shop - when we arrived this particular track was playing - a few hours later on our return it was playing again.
It's got to be this one:

I have to agree with you about the song. It's ubiquitous.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm not sure I'd associate this with Egypt but I love the panflute. I actually associate panflute with Peru and Equidor. Isn't it interesting how we make associations and ascribe them to memories.

I have a CD of panflute and for the life of me I can't find it or remember the name of the artist who played it. AGH! Old age strikes when you least expect it. It'll also come to me at 3am.........

Thanks for the UTube link Glyph - nice song/nice music! :)
Glyphdoctor

Post by Glyphdoctor »

It's because it is played all over the place constantly, especially this song, and especially in tourist establishments.
Bearded Brian

Post by Bearded Brian »

Laurel and Hardy's Way out West Dance - this is more to do with the dance than the actual music. It's not a reminder of Egypt from a long time ago but from my last visit - I can't tell you the full details but what I can say is that two people were taking the mick of doing exercises in the Army and it ended up just like this dance - nearly had a heart attack from laughter - still brings a smile to my face every time I think about it or see Kunis' avatar on the blue side. (no Kunis was not involved)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

These things can be hilarious Brian when someone is telling a good story, :) I have one myself of a mate of mine whose army boots were too big for him and he was on parade, :lol: but it is only funny if you can see the actions that have to go with it. ;)