Doing Laundry in Canada

A light-hearted section of Jokes - Text Games - Only In Egypt Photos and Videos - Brainteasers and General Fun Stuff to while away the spare minutes of your day.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Doing Laundry in Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

On behalf of Jayway - but this truly IS how we do our laundry here in Canada

phpBB [video]

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: Doing Laundry in Canada

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Did you notice how clean our water was? Got all the black out the bear and got him back to WHITE! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I did wonder if the washing machine ran on batteries ;) :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I thought it a creative video to market a product - HOWEVER - I wouldn't own another SAMSUNG on a bet here. When I first moved back to Canada there was a washer/dryer in the house I bought. In very short order both the washer and dryer broke although they were not that old. Getting them fixed turned into a nightmare in the ALL parts and pieces of a Samsung are not generic. You have to specifically buy JUST and ONLY SAMSUNG parts which have to be all special ordered in....

I never fixed the second break down - Don't remember which one it was - because the price was so ridiculously high (something like $250 to FIX an old appliance) I opted to buy a new one (in the range of $500).

Good creative video but I'd never vouch for a Samsung. The old names - whirlpool, maytag - those one will go forever and you can find parts anywhere.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Samsung are pretty good in the UK LLL, can't vouch for their washing machines, but their phones, TV's and tablets are well made. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They're not super popular here because we can't seem to get parts for them. Seems we favour brands that are also easily fixable.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:I never fixed the second break down - Don't remember which one it was - because the price was so ridiculously high (something like $250 to FIX an old appliance) I opted to buy a new one (in the range of $500).
Service calls here for domestic appliances tend to be very expensive LLL. I would only call an engineer within the warantee period. I work on the principle that if a device is going to fail early it will fail within its warantee period.
After that I can deal with many problems myself (as I know Horus does) but if a machine has given 4 or 5 years service I buy new because as you have illustrated you can soon rack up service costs and at least with a new machine you get a new warantee.
We have an excellent chain of stores here called John Lewis and they have a reputation for offering an extended warantee up to 3 years for no extra cost. That's why I like John Lewis. :up

As a family we have many Samsung products and rate them highly, but I don't think any of the family have kitchen appliances other than Microwaves.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The service calls here are $65 to appear at the door and $12 per 11 minutes thereafter. The first task is to diagnose the problem (which typically takes 20 - 30 minutes) so you're basically looking at $100 for somebody to just 'appear.' Then they have to order in the part (easily 2 to 3 weeks + here) and come back to install it so in very short order it makes fixing an appliance prohibitive.

Some fixes might be easy however other fixes are not. I'm kinda like you Grandad I don't buy extended warranties. IF you're going to break you typically will in short order (usually a year) and if after that I get 4 or 5 yrs out of you I'd rather buy another NEW appliance vs getting a repair man in. My son in law does commercial refrigeration and is extremely handy and can fix most anything (i.e. the heat thing on a dryer went out. Cost $44 to bring the part from the USA (in Canada was something like $128 with a however many weeks wait to get it in) and this part really just plugged in and clipped in place. Was going to be something in the order of $250 for a repairman to do this and honestly I could have done it myself. Matter of fact I actually watched HOW to do it on UTube and it was more than simple so a dryer I might opt to fix but most others I'd think about replacing.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

When lived in rural Kent about 35/40 years ago, my old Hoover started to need maintenance and the engineers hated dragging all the way out to my house. So when I rang in with the latest problem they would ask me to have a look at specific things myself - then when I went to get my daughters from school I could pick up the spares and do it myself.

I had watched the engineer fit new brushes/bushes? around the armature, so fitting a new one was one of the first things I did. After I had fitted another couple the engineer said that if it happened again really I needed to replace the armature - so I did.

My tumble drier worked well except that it fairly regularly needed a new belt. When I couldn't get the pukka one I used an adjustable emergency car fan belt with great success - well the dryer lasted 15 years!

My central heating broke down and I needed a new pump for my Potterton boiler. Unfortunately the company had been bought out by another and the line discontinued I was informed by the engineer, so I needed a new boiler.

I pondered on this for a while, then had a discussion with my friendly spare parts store and bought a new anonymous pump. I brought it home and found it didn't fit. Decimalization had arrived and my boiler fittings were in imperial. No problem, Mr Small Parts, as his friends called him produced a fitting which joined imperial to metric. Voila! Problem solved.

If a man could do it I could do it I reckoned. Unfortunately the frustration of physical weakness these days affects my blood pressure more than anything else.
Smile! It confuses people
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Well done for you MD :up Although I am not so sure that I would like to be known as "Mr Small Parts" :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Most often my frustration in tackling something was the lack of tools and the inability to actually 'find' what is needed here. Now I don't have the physical strength either to tackle many jobs. I think nowadays there is a tendency not to fix or repair because in the long run it is cheaper to buy new. I also have a tendency to firmly believe in planned obsolescence.

After my dad passed and my mom was figuring out life as a single we came to the matter of the oil furnace in their house. My dad had built the house and it was 40+ yrs old. At the time of building it and having the furnace installed my mother took out a very affordable insurance guarantee on it which FORCED the company to come out and do a service on it every year. Over the years it became more and more expensive for them to do this for such a ridiculously nominal fee however my mother NEVER shied away from a fight.

When the man arrived to do the service since I was a fresh face he complained with resignation that they didn't even MAKE parts for this furnace any more and so his service wasn't complete (thank God my mother didn't hear that as she would have demanded a partial return of the $5 she'd been paying personally insisting on taking in CASH every year so as to get a proper receipt to prove she paid the insurance warranty fee)

She did pass with that old furnace still chugging away in the house.

Part of the issue to me was not that the old furnace was still going it was that newer furnaces were much more efficient and better and would have kept the air cleaner in the house and would have heated it better too. On the other hand - My parents never cared about efficient heat as they always supplemented with wood and the original SINGLE PANE WINDOWS :o :o in the house really didn't retain the heat. Always figured to keep their house as an example of 'early Island history' as nothing was updated from the day it was installed. The house was pristine cause the two of them were very house proud but some of the OLD infrastructure once built was never changed.