STATE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

STATE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT

Post by Grandad »

Forget all the disharmony of the political parties and the mess known as 'Brexit; today we saw one of those great British traditions, The State Opening of Parliament. Ignore what was in the Queens speech, just pipe dreams unless Boris can win the upcoming General Election. Just focus on the scenes and pomp of this centuries old occasion.
I watched and took a few pictures from the TV screen so, poor quality but, you get the message.

20191014 State Opening of Parliament Royal Gallery.jpg
Invited guests in the Royal Gallery
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-001 Queen arrives.jpg
State trumpeter announces the Queens arrival
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-002 Queen with Charles.jpg
Prince Charles accompanies the Queen. The State Crown is now too heavy and is carried ahead on a satin cushion
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-003 Black Rod bangs commons door.jpg
Black Rod bangs the shut door of the commons to tell them that the Queen commands their attendance in the House of Peers
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-006 Black Rod and Speaker.jpg
Black Rod and The Speaker of the Commons lead MP's to the Upper House

continued on next page....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: STATE OPENING OF PARLIAMENT

Post by Grandad »

A few more pictures from the State Opening of Parliament
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-009 The Lords chamber.jpg
The House of Peers (House of Lords) Full house today ;)
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-012 The Queen.jpg
The Queen at 93. I could not hold that lady in higher regard
20191014 State Opening of Parliament-016 Preceded by the State Crown.jpg
She is beginning to look a bit frail and needs Charles's arm as they leave The Lords.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad Thanks for sharing that - FANTASTIC!!! The Pomp and Ceremony and Tradition is phenomenal. As you say forget the "politics" of it all just the ceremony that goes with it is incredibly interesting and there is so many minute and highly detailed details.

I don't believe I've ever seen that before. Very interesting. I think somewhere I knew the Queen wasn't wearing the crown but I didn't realize it was being brought in in front of her on a satin pillow. Extremely symbolic and important. (On another note and I'm saying this a bit tongue in cheek - I HOPE they're carrying in a COPY CROWN of the real one! ;) And the real one is safely locked up some place secure!!)

The Queen herself is remarkable. I can't even begin to imagine her life and all the obligations and duties she has had AND carried out. She is definitely one of a kind and I can't even think of anybody who has ever had or said a bad word about her. She truly is above reproach in all respects.

Family Trivia - My Grannie loved Queen Elizabeth and styled her hair in the same fashion as Queen Elizabeth.

Definitely love the detail on all the Uniforms/Clothing/Flags/Do-dads of the Ceremony.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux

Thanks LLL, I confess that I had you in mind when I decided to post it. We see this stuff quite a lot and I think we should keep it going. Why kill old long standing traditions that are respected around the world?
As for the crown, that probably is the original. There is a replica in the Tower of London I believe but I have never been there to see it.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad I agree that the Crown probably was the original however it also brought to mind that having something that historic and valuable out in the open, albeit Parliament, sure must have lots of Criminals and Thieves plotting and planning how to grab it. (Not sure if I've ever heard if there have been attempts to steal it during these type ceremonies outside of a 007 movie)

I have never researched any of the clothing or costumery (if there is such a word) of the various Guards, Military, Soldiers but it might be something I could see me doing of a rainy day. Am sure there is a long history to much of what is done.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Thanks for sharing Grandad :) I did miss it on telly.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Grandad wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:17 pm @LovelyLadyLux

Thanks LLL, I confess that I had you in mind when I decided to post it. We see this stuff quite a lot and I think we should keep it going. Why kill old long standing traditions that are respected around the world?
As for the crown, that probably is the original. There is a replica in the Tower of London I believe but I have never been there to see it.
The Crown Jewels in the Tower of London are the real ones along with all the vestments and regalia worn at coronations by British kings and queens,that's why the security is so tight and the whole place is securely locked down every evening.Aren't you watching "Inside the Tower of London" it's on channel 5 this evening at 9pm,it's the penultimate one this evening but has been really interesting.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Hurghadapat Very interesting the REAL jewels are kept in the Tower of London. Again I thought that was mostly "just for show" concept with the real ones being buried away deep in some enormous vault at some essentially unknown location.

I like to see and watch the pomp and ceremony of things and usually wonder at how they evolved (i.e. the ruffled collars) as sometimes the styles seemed to be more form than actual function. And given so many things were hand sewn back then even the smallest item of apparel must've have required meticulous attention from everything from sourcing the fabrics to cutting to sewing.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Hurghadapat
I have not watched that series Pat. I tend to have a conflict of interest with my wife and she usually wins :lol: :lol:
But like many things in life, there are those for which I remain sceptical. Even at the Opening of Parliament yesterday, there is absolutely no reason WHY the real crown should be removed from the Tower to sit on a satin cushion for the procession, OR, is the one in the Tower the real one or a replica anyhow?
They can tell us anything and we will believe it.
;)