A few holiday snaps

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

A few holiday snaps

Post by Horus »

As you all know I have just had a short break in Wales. I went to one of my favourite chill out sites which is actually in a small field on a farm, nothing fancy but has everything I need such as toilets and showers (although I do have my own) and of course water and a power cable hook up adjacent the van. Unfortunately the weather was a bit on the dull side with a blustery but warm breeze blowing most of the time. Most days we had some sunshine and it was always nice enough to take Annie out for her walks, so overall it was not too bad most days.

It was pleasant enough for me to consider staying on for a few more days over what was the August Bank Holiday weekend, but in the end I decided against it. The farmers wife Mrs Thomas knows me fairly well and I am always invited into the kitchen when I arrive, so I asked if my pitch was booked after the Friday I was due to leave and unfortunately it was. She was kind enough to say I could move my caravan down nearer the farm if I wanted to stay longer and she would fix me up with an electricity supply, unfortunately that would entail me having to take down my sun awning and my windbreak, plus take up my groundsheet outside and then disconnect my electricity and water then tow my van into the field nearer the farm. I could have survived the extra days without setting everything up again as I am fairly self sufficient that way.

Then there was the problem of Annie’s food, she will not eat just dry food on its own neither will she eat the propriety tinned dog food, so I (don’t laugh) cook all her food myself, now contrary to what you may think it isn’t really that much more expensive as she does not eat a large amount and only the one meal per day. I usually vary the weekly diet of lambs heart, beef mince and chicken and when we go away I prepare as many meals as she needs in small containers and freeze them prior to us going away. I therefore needed to pick up some extra food from a butchers such as a cooked chicken or some beef mince that I could easily cook. On that basis I went to a local seaside town with the intention of getting the food and also having a look around the town and making a day of it. On driving to the town and seeing the throngs of tourists milling about and spilling out into the roads I changed my mind. You could not even get a place to sit and have a coffee, the town was so crowded and as it was the holiday weekend coming up and the weather forecast was sunny it would be manic. So weighing everything up I decided to stick with my own plan which turned out to be correct as the roads were a nightmare on the Monday.

Anyway here are a few images taken with my phone and as I said the weather was a bit overcast.
I won’t caption everyone, but feel free to ask questions about any of them. The ones of the church are of a 6th century church excavated from the sand dunes during the 1970’s
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: A few holiday snaps

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting photos H! Am assuming the book was a Bible? And loved the photos of the interior of the church. Whomever put the flowers up on each side of the alter did a great bouquet.

The stone front of the building with the wooden door also very impressive.

The photos of the beaches are also interesting in that you have sand mixed with large rocks. The sand in some of the beach pictures looked fairly coarse too (therefore runny) vs any of the real find stuff that compacts and can be made into beach castles.

I also hear you re: crowds and summer outings. I can drive to Victoria which is an absolutely beautiful city in well under 2 hours. Lots of history, things to do and places to see but I can't stand the crowds especially in summer. The City can accommodate easily 2 (if not more) cruise ships and if those spill out a few thousand people plus all the regular tourists and locals it means you can't walk the streets without constantly bumping people. Just can't do it as the crowds cease to make the trip enjoyable for me so I don't go there. I also don't go to "events" as the crowds and bumping and noise level just makes me prefer to stay home or go to one of the lesser known beaches :)

Same when I go on holidays. I actually go on the off-seasons and much prefer this as battling crowds, standing in endless lineups and then not really being able to see anything is more than I'm willing to put me through. Maybe I miss things but that doesn't bother me in the least.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, the stone construction is very typical of rural areas in places such as Wales as the stone is so abundant. We in the UK are blessed with a great variety of building materials and the more travelled folk can usually tell whereabouts in the country they are by looking at the local building materials used. In Wales it is typical to see long dry stone walls surrounding fields and along roads and lanes, it very much defines that part of the country and usually denote great age when used in building such as churches and farmhouses.

As for the beach, yes that particular coastline is very rocky but only at that point, many Welsh beaches are long stretches of soft golden sand with no rocks or boulders. There is also a by-law in that area that (understandably) prevents dogs from going on certain parts of a bathing beach at certain times of the year. That applied here as it was in the height of the tourist season so Annie could only go to the right hand side of the beach where few bathers bother to go, had I shown a picture in the other direction you would have seen people bathing and sitting on the sandy rock free beach. By contrast if you look at the beach part of my second picture which is a tidal estuary, then the sand there is as fine as talcum powder and when damp it is like a soft mousse. Annie loves that part because it is so soft that her feet sink into it by about 3 or 4 inches as she runs through it. I could post a video of her doing that, but it would be too large a file for this forum.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That little chapel is a treat, Horus, which most tourists would completely over look - but you didn't! That's the first time I've actually seen a Welsh bible, although I think my grandparents had one. Needless to say, we weren't encouraged to touch it - ever!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

As I have said before RS, I am not religious in any way but I do like old churches and graveyards as they can be most interesting in an historical context. I usually seek out any place that has some history behind it and then do my best to find out more about what I find, it has little use as it is really only myself who gets to know what I discover apart from when I maybe write something up for you guys on here. :) That little church goes back to the 6th century and it was belived to have been built by St Tanwg (pronounced as Tan-ug) a contemporary of St Patrick the patron saint of Ireland. I might add that although it is quite remote the church is always open and all of those precious things like the Welsh bible are on clear display to anyone.

If you want to read more about it here is a good Wiki link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Tanwg% ... _Llandanwg
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here is what I think is a funny anecdote about that church, one evening as I passed the church I crossed paths with a very religious looking man, long black robes with a huge cross dangling on a chain down his surplus gown underneath his robes and the epitome of some old Welsh Druid, :lol: :lol: he looked about 80. He struck up a conversation about his church and what I thought of it, I told him it was beautiful church and they should be proud of the way it looked and was cared for. He proceeded to tell me some facts about the church and when it was reclaimed from the encroaching sand dunes, “But of course you will be too young to be able to remember that as you are not as old as I am” he said. I asked him how old he was and had to stifle a wry smile when I discovered he was younger than me especially as he was well short of the 80 years I had guessed for him, :o I continued on with a jaunty spring to my step. :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Fantastic pics Horus :) and that church 6th century Wow! I would have loved to see it.

As for the man in robes - sure you wasn't speaking with a ghost :o
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Interesting posts like yours Horus are what has been missing recently and why things have gone quiet......nobody has been anywhere interesting. :(
My wifes paternal family are from the South Wales valleys so we have never been to the north coast. I must say it does look very peaceful. Where exactly were you? Are the pictures of the coast like pic #1 and #2 an estuary, and in pic #1, is that the remains of a boat just appearing throught the shallows?
Love the Welsh bible but I don't think I have ever heard of St Joan III?
Also impressed by the use of roughly hewn stone in the construction of the church.
I did not realise that they were able to construct Arched doorways that early, I thought that they were still using lintels.
The interior of the chuch is beautiful and as if it has been frozen in time, Love it.
Thanks for all that H, very interesting.

PS: How on earth have you been able to pack so much into your small tourer van, it must be a bit of a Tardis ;) :lol: :lol:
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The man in the robes was a real enough priest Kiya and I forgot to say he had a full white bushy beard like Santa Clause :D A strange thing though is that the church is open well after dark, but it would not phase me to sit in there after dark and although a bit isolated it never has a creepy feel about it.

Thanks Grandad, I don't mind making the effort just so long as people engage a little bit, just popping a 'like' after doing a long write up and uploading lots of images (a big job as you well know) makes you feel you have wasted your time. All the images are of the estuary apart from the obvious ones taken on a rocky beach with the waves crashing in. It is a fairly large estuary and I believe it was at one time one of the few safe harbours in that part of Wales. I will add a couple more photos showing the stuary at low tide it will give you a better idea, I cannot remember seeing anything resembling a boat, so I will have to look at then a bit closer :up

As for the little caravan, yes it is quite small as it is only a two berth and quite big enough for Annie and myself. It is a bit Tardis like as everything has to be compact, but its all there, I will try and take you a few pictures so you can see for yourself. I could buy a larger more spacious more modern caravan, but the way I see it is I would not get the benefit of it as I am not away every weekend in it. I treat it a bit like camping in a tent, you rough it a bit, so to my way of thinking if I have all the comforts of home, then I may just as well be at home.
Edit: after looking at the image Grandad, I believe they are just wooden piles driven in long ago to stop erosion
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My last post disappeared OR maybe it never appeared ....... :cry: :cry: and I didn't notice it 'til now..........(big sigh)

I can't re-create all I wrote now but basically I was asking you if the Priests there are really traditional? Do the Churches now in Wales play a predominate role in peoples day to day lives?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

In the UK most ‘priests’ of all denominations tend to wear their traditional garb which often comprises a long smock of some sort with some other decoration. It is quite easy to distinguish each religion, Catholic, Protestant etc. by their dress style. As to your second question, I would say that generally speaking the Welsh are more religious than say the English, but in all religions their role is seen as more pastoral within the community they represent.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

While your speaking of religion......David & myself was speaking of it the other day, I mentioned "I wouldn't be surprised if it is " Catholic " but David thinks " Protestant"

What do you think :?:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@LovelyLadyLux

LLL, I think it is true to say that in Urban areas churchgoing has declined considerably in the last 50 or 60 years. From my experience there is still some following in Rural areas. I have relatives in Staffordshire, farming/country folk, many of whom DO attend the local Methodist chapel on Sunday. I believe that these people are still religious but the Sunday service also gives an opportunity for local farmers and residents to meet up and talk about what is happening in their lives. So it is as much a social event as religious.

My late father in law who came from Tredegar in South Wales had a Salem chapel right opposite his home. I agree with Horus that the Welsh have always had a strong religious tradition, probably explains why they are such renowned singers from Sunday chapel. There has always been a chapel in the valley communities which served to administer christenings, marriages, and death services. I know that the chapel in Charles Street Tredegar is now a private residence from our visit there many years ago so even there, the 'chapel' tradition has gone, along with coalmining in the area.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Here unless you are a Catholic Priest or Nun (and I don't think I've ever seen a Nun here) none of our Religious Leaders wear anything. Even the Catholic Priests are apt only to wear the collar if visiting in a hospital and the robes only on a Sunday. While I'm sure there are a few Nuns here they look like the rest of us now and no longer wear any sort of clothing that denotes them as belonging to an Order.

Here, I think the traditional churches have declined almost to oblivion however there are some more (to me) independent churches that have gained enormous popularity as the services are almost like going to a weekly music concert (not that I go so I really don't know). Seems the traditional religions are in sharp decline in this area but some of the hand-clapping hallelujah groups are very popular.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kiya, if you mean the church in the picture, then originally it would have had a more Catholic slant because the early founders in this case St Tanwg although Welsh by nationality was probably sent by the Pope in Rome as a missionary to convert the locals. Later restorations were more likely to have been made by followers of a more Protestant leaning religion as in present day Wales they tend to be what we now call 'Chapel' which is more like a Methodist/Protestant version than Catholic one.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

I was meaning today around the world, though I thought Catholic & my brother thought Protestant .
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

PS: How on earth have you been able to pack so much into your small tourer van, it must be a bit of a Tardis ;) :lol:
Grandad you asked a few days ago if my little touring caravan was a Tardis with all the stuff I have inside, so I took you a few pictures so you can see for yourself. Bear in mind that things like my full sized awning (if I take it) my sun canopy and windbreak are just placed on the floor until we arrive and get everything set up. I also carry other stuff in my car that can be kept in the boot or on the back seats. When you consider that all I really need is somewhere comfortable and warm to sleep, to keep myself clean and to prepare, cook and eat my meals and to be able to entertain myself by reading a book, watching the TV or a DVD in the evening or on a wet day then you do not need a lot of space to survive for a week or so even without any on site amenities. This means that storage does not have to be huge, a wardrobe for example only needs to hang a few shirts and coats, drawers can easily accommodate underwear, socks, tops, jeans, casual shirts etc. A smallish fridge can hold enough fresh stuff to last a week or more and a simple two burner hob and a microwave can handle most meals you just need to be a bit selective about what you cook up.

You will see from the pictures that although small there is a straight through path from one end as you enter to the other from which you can access any amounts of cupboards and storage space on the right and left hand sides much of it under the long seats which lift up and have lots of storage area for bulky items such as pillows & bedding. I also store my TV in there when travelling to avoid damage. Other stuff also lives under there such as the control system for my motor mover and my gas fired water heater, I usually keep the less needed items in there also such as mixers for drinks (yes I even have a drinks cabinet if you look above the fridge) plus spare crockery, bath towels, hand towels, dog towels and many other odds and ends. At that end is also a small chest of drawers and a lower drop down cupboard, all are quite deep and can take all sorts like kitchen rolls, toilet rolls, it is also where my TV sits on the top. I have a small table that hooks into a groove on the front of the drawer unit with a single detachable support leg in the centre, this table is plenty big enough for two people to eat at. When not in use it tucks neatly behind one of the two vertical cushions you can see below the front window or flat on the floor under the bed if it is actually made up.

At the other end (as you come in) the door that faces you is the bathroom which is large enough to shower in, or to use the toilet or the drop down sink, it is all very bijou. To the left of that is a small wardrobe with a clothes rail, I have added a collapsible hanger with pockets to take all sorts of smaller non hanging stuff like T shirts and jumpers. Below that and set in flush is a small gas heater, it is fully sealed so no naked flames, it is extremely efficient and could keep inside very warm even in really cold weather. As the heater is not very deep it creates a space behind itself which can be accessed by lifting up a hinged floor in the wardrobe above, I usually just dump my dirty clothes and towels in there until I get home and can wash them. To the left of the door as you go in is a small fridge with a drinks cupboard above that, the fridge top is also a worktop with 240v outlets on the wall, I usually sit my microwave on there. At head height there are also cupboards and storage bays on both sides.

On the right hand side as you enter is a small kitchen area, it has a double ring gas hob with a grill beneath, to the right of that is a small drainer and sink with hot and cold water taps. Both the cooker and the sink have lift up or fold over covers that can double up as preparation areas or for putting down pots and pans or plates. I have also fitted a hinge up small table that is attached to the side of the fridge cabinet to give me extra flat space in the kitchen area if I need it. Above the cooker and sink is a set of double storage cupboards that accommodate all of my general food stuffs, I usually store all Annie’s stuff in the right hand one. Below the sink is a cutlery drawer and more storage cupboards with lots of shelves that are used for pots and pans, toaster, kettles, (electric & gas) small electric oven, electric heater and a lot of stuff for Annie such as food bowls, harnesses and leads. The very bottom cupboards contain all the domestic stuff like washing up bowls and cleaning stuff, dust pan & brush etc. and caravan related maintenance stuff.

The seating area is probably the most versatile because it is also the sleeping area. I have several options so if its my son and myself who go we tend to just take a side each as the seats are long and wide enough to sleep on. I have two Norwegian sleeping bags that are more like continental quilts when unzipped and I mostly use those, when not in use these can just be rolled up or stuffed under the bases during the day. If it were a couple, or you just wanted a double bed for yourself then you simply remove the two side wall back cushions which then fit neatly into the space between the two long seats. They are supported by a quickly drawn out set of slats that are pulled out from the small drawer unit. These slats are joined to a pair of straps that keep them evenly spaced and they run in guide slots at either side, if you look at the small drawer image you can see a narrow front with a handle just below the two top drawers, this is what you pull out. As I find it more comfortable to sleep on the bed rather than on a side seat I made a little addition of my own. In the pictures you can see the two vertical cushions under the window, I had these specially made from mattress quality foam and covered. This allows me to only partially pull out the slats and insert the two cushions into the smaller space and so make up a ‘single bed’ that is wider than the side beds would be, it also lets Annie find herself lots of space to sleep near her dad. So there you have it Grandad, all very compact, but very well thought out and hardly lacking for anything, so if you also consider that the general idea is to be out and about in the fresh air then you really only need it for a certain amount of time most days. I also set up the outside with a sun awning and a table and a groundsheet plus a windbreak, so I can comfortably spend time outside if the weather is mild and even more so if I were to erect my full awning extension which is as big again as the caravan. Finally there is the front locker which stores all sorts of stuff, gas cylinder, spare wheel, mast and ariel, fluids for the toilet, barbecue and much more, its like Alladins cave in there. :D

My apologies that the order of the images does not reflect the order of explanations in my text, it is a big problem when posting to get the sequence correct, the images match the text better seen bottom to top)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Horus

Wow Horus I am most impressed with what you have packed into a small space......so it really is a Tardis ;)
It all looks very smart and I like the convertible bed arrangement. I also think all the doors and fittings look look very smart. And how a kitchen, shower, toilet are all there beats me. Looks very comfortable indeed and obviously Annie is at home in he 'second home'
Thanks for doing all that H and the detailed explanation of how it all works....and it obviously does work very well. Cheers
:up
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Thanks Grandad and yes Annie loves it she is thoroughly at home in it and seems to know exactly what to do when we go away in 'Willow' (for that is her name ;) ) She will happily sit on her seat in her car harness for the three hours it takes us to get to where the photos were taken, she then sits in the car while I get it all levelled up and connected to the electric and water supply. After that she comes out of the car and jumps up the little set of step and into the van where she sits looking out of a window while I get the groundsheet, the awning and the windbreak set up. Inside she knows to go out if I say so if I need to move anything around or tidy up. In the evening she knows exactly where I want her to be when I set up the bed, she just moves to the end of a side seat to be out of the way or if I want to lift up a seat base to get underneath she will just jump onto the other side with only a small hand gesture from me. Its the same when I get settled down, after dark I usually get the bed setup and then lounge about in track suit bottoms and a T shirt, so we both sprawl out wherever we want until bedtime when I only have to reach up to pull the light cord. She will sleep soundly all night and only a sudden noise would make her instantly alert, she will stay like that until morning and although she is usually wanting a 'lie in' after her long walks, she happily moves out of the way as I stow the bed away for another day. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is a terrific set up H and given it is completely self contained if needed you could definitely last out a long time in there comfortably.

I was looking at your other pictures and particularly one of the inside of the Church. I really like the photo of the inside of the Church with the exposed rafters and how they twined the flowers about it etc (so was looking again) Then a question came to me .........

The outside of this church is made of rock and stones so the inside is ?? Plastered? Are these walls hard hard? Or would it have originally been more mud and then whitewashed? Or? What is on the inside walls of this church? And are they keeping them this white now with paint or lime wash? (whitewash?)