Separated by the same language

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Separated by the same language

Post by Horus »

I came across these videos the other day and thought I would share it with you all especially as our LLL will probable appreciate the differences. You may need to run it through a couple of times as they do speak a bit quick when you are trying to read the text as well, but it does highlight a lot of common items that both nations have a different word for. I am sure that on both sides of the pond we have all been amused by some words that have a completely different meaning to the other nationality, for example, as seen in the video a ‘Fanny Bag’ would mean something else over here because a ‘Fanny’ is a slang word for a ladies front bottom. Then you have a ‘Rubber’ which to many in the UK would be the word for an ‘Eraser’ a child may be heard to say “mum I need a rubber”. So I could imagine the look on LLL’s face should one of the twins ask the same question because over there it would generally be taken to mean a male condom. To be honest I suspect that most of us have had enough interaction with our American/Canadian friends over the years via TV and the likes to realise what the other person may be trying to say and vica versa. So lets have some fun and watch these couple of videos that highlight some of the common examples and I wont even mention our different spellings of the same words. :lol:

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Separated by the same language

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They're cute differences however there are more similarities between English words & Canadian words (cause of the strong British influence here in Canada vs in the USA)

Here re: shopping cart/trolley - they're called Buggies.

As for babies strollers/pram they're ALL just called strollers with no other differentiation here. And my generation would say "Dummy" whilst the daughter and younger generations refer to babies using Pacifiers.

In the States you do ask for a "Bathroom" /Loo but here we use Washrooms ;)

The American referred to what I'd of called a sleeveless T shirt as a "Wife Beater" but I've never heard that reference before ever.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have personally been caught by the "French fries" vs "Potato Chips" phrases. Chips ARE Crisps but "I" forever refer to fries as chips and sometimes I've been surprised when I get 'chips' when I've ordered 'fries.'

The interactions of the two were cute.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Here we also use the term 'French Fries' which to most people means those very thin things that the likes of MacDonald’s serve up, it is a relatively new generational thing and back in the day the term 'fries' did not exist. Chips on the other hand always meant thickly sliced lengthways potatoes that have been fried in oil or lard, but both may be referred to as being 'chips'. 'Crisps' are wafer thin slices of potato fried in oil or fat until crisp, hence the name. The problem is that of recent years some manufacturers of that product (crisps) have started to add the word 'chips' to describe the content, this seems to have crept in with some typical American style snacks that are now available, so we have for example 'Nacho Chips' or 'Corn Chips' which are essentially 'crisps' made with a different food source. Basically in today’s world you have to have an understanding of what both terms mean and how they interchange with each other in describing the same product when we go shopping.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I still make 'chips' the same way with real potatoes!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Like two different languages, both called 'English' :lol:
It is not confined to America however. I cringe when I hear Australians refer to 'Sellotape' as 'Durex' If you are not aware LLL, Sellotape is the clear sticky packing tape; Durex is the best known brand of male contraceptives. (Made by the London Rubber Company, I used to work for them ;) )
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

If you'd just said to me 'where have your heard of Durex' I would have had to really think about it but if I thought long and hard enough I would have arrived that "Durex" is the name of the Company that sells condoms here. Never really knew of "Sellotape" (all sticky tape here - the clear package wrapping tape is just tape). Our only differentiations re: tape is Masking tape (opaque light beige tape) or Duct tape (the silver stuff).

It is always cute how we use language. When I was in Quebec it was cute to hear somebody speaking and then suddenly insert an English word. The daughter has often said they don't speak French there they actually speak "Franglish"

As for the differences in language it was refreshing to actually hear two people speak without a mouthful of "like" or "duh, umms, hums" These two actually spoke WORDS! ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad it brought to mind another English word that makes an Australia sit up. We in the UK may say for example "I am going to have a good root around in that cupboard to find some old pillow cases" They will look astonished as the word 'root' is usually in the context of sex, used in a similar way to our four lettered slang word for the sexual act, so it would take on a different meaning. :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Never realized that re: root. Here I do root around in the shed "LOOKING for something" :))) or root through the garage "LOOKING for something" too! Don't think I've heard that word in the context or sex (although I can see how that could take that connotation.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Couldn't resist a little Australian Google on that one H. This is one of the best descriptions for 'root' that I found :lol: :lol: :lol:

Example: “Oh, Susie is a hot babe, I’d sure like to root her” “The car won’t start, it’s rooted” “I went for a run this morning, now I’m rooted” Angus McFangus Makes the description of someone as “a wombat ” more meaningful when one understands the common description for a wombat ’s typical nocturnal marsupial: “eats roots and leaves”.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Good one @Grandad
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

When I was working the States I always 'went on holidays' whilst by coworkers 'took vacations.' Interesting that some phrases are just ingrained and pop out when we're talking or describing something.

When I was a child I remember two Uncles coming from Scotland. In no time at all one brother had no discernible accent. The Scottish brogue was completely gone. His brother never lost anything. He sounded the same the day he died as the day he arrived. Not sure why this happens but it is interesting. Why does one person pick up a new accent quickly whilst another doesn't?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Strangely enough LLL many Americans mistake Brits for Canadians, it has happened to myself and a few friends and neighbours while in the company of Americans when abroad.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

After working 2 years in Canada I hardly hear Roy speak our local tongue, recently at his new place of work one of his work

colleagues asked him if he was Canadian, he really doesn't realise he's doing it :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

It is surprising how the local language rubs off when you stay a while, I found myself quite often inserting Swahili words into conversations not realising what I was doing, it just came naturally after spending so many years in Africa.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I often get asked if I am from Australia. Maybe the South East accent has some similarity.
My brother when in his mid 20's met and married a young lady in Staffordshire. He worked in Burton and in no time had acquired the local accent. Now long retired he spends two three month periods in Australia each year. I have not seen him for many years and can't imagine what accent he has right now.
:lol: :lol: