Memories

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Memories

Post by Grandad »

It must be a sign of age but I find more and more that many of the posts that you folks put on here, trigger memories for me.
On another thread we touched on glass which lead me to post about a few glass items in my home.
This afternoon I wanted a jug to hold at least a litre of water, went to the sideboard and pulled out this one.
P1020048.JPG
That simple action triggered yet another memory. The jug belonged to my mum and dad, it was a wedding gift from a friend on their marriage, 20 January 1934. It probably cost no more than a shilling or two from Woolworths but I would not sell it for £1000, and I DO mean that.......
Just call me sentimental. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Memories

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have a houseful of memories as I have odds 'n ends of glass and other items that I've acquired over a life time from past relatives and friends but each triggers a memory.

I have one very small old (well over 100 yrs old) pressed glass creamer that belonged to a Great Grandma. Am sure if it went into a Thrift it was be valued at next to nothing but every time I see it in the cupboard I do remember Great Grandma. It'll go, at some point, to the Granddaughter as it'll be something for her that belonged to her Great Great Great Grandma.

That being said I find many in the generation of my daughters do not want what 'we' (those of my generation) have. I accepted 'gifts' of small items over the years as I had zip when I started and it seemed common for relatives to pass around extras as they acquired new items but now I kinda find that this present Generation doesn't really value the history of passed down family items.

@Grandad I do like the jug. Has character! ;) ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I knew that jug was old Grandad as soon as I saw the picture, bet it's worth a few bob now.

I know what you mean LLL, the modern generation doesn't really value the older treasured stuff in the same way, maybe because their society is more 'disposable' than ours was.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Horus Quite agree. I've basically got all the stuff I was given when 'starting out' and also have lots of ornaments/knick knacks I've acquired over my life of travels however when I've asked the daughter what they want they basically, in unison say "nothing" and actually complain "I" need downsize. I'll admit I do have lots of stuff but I'm by now means a hoarder but how doesn't one throw out a 100 yr old carving one got up in the far North? How do you just throw out old crystal or china?

It is all displayed in the china cabinet and bookcases and I've truly stopped buying stuff for the most part however it is interesting the daughters don't want and don't even like my stuff. Maybe the Crew will when they branch out to their own homes.