Signs of the Times or ........

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Signs of the Times or ........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Actually these are the 'signs' of Quebec. Seems each store had it's own unique 'sign' symbolizing what they were selling or specializing in - not that "Ibiza" makes one immediately think of Hats but many of the signs were quite elaborate as were their store front embellishments
DSCN0256.JPG
DSCN0266.JPG
DSCN0210.JPG
DSCN0263.JPG
DSCN0230.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Signs of the Times or ........

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Few more signs and decorations
DSCN0331.JPG
DSCN0322.JPG
DSCN0218.JPG
DSCN0314.JPG
DSCN0217.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very nice, makes the place interesting, it used to be a common practice in the UK for shops to have a sign indicating the service they offered, a 'boot' above a shoe shop for example.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:32 am Very nice, makes the place interesting, it used to be a common practice in the UK for shops to have a sign indicating the service they offered, a 'boot' above a shoe shop for example.
I agree they add interest to the high street Horus. Nowadays there seems to be just a hanging sign with the store name. Another regular one was the 'Red and White barbers pole' Still see a few of them but most barbers here in the city just have a catchy shop name.Maybe the skills of painting shop signs have been lost, however I do find that many pubs have signs that represent their names.

This is the City Arms sign in Butchery Lane.
021b 20080314 The City Arms Sign.JPG
And this one is for The Cricketers in St Peters Street with a very detailed hanging sign and a large painted mural with the brewers details. Very costly to replace I guess.
20080225 The Cricketers, St Peters Street 01.JPG
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have very few signs here that are elaborate at all. Most are quite plain and drab with a simple name or small logo only kinda going along the lines of the Golden Arches (for McDonald's Restaurants).

The signs, window displays, plants really made the street and were as interesting to look at as the wares in the stores.

A couple of our old(er) Pubs have elaborate signs but most just have letters spelling out their name and nothing much else.

I kinda think this reflects our times where there isn't really as much of an appreciation for the elaborate. Seems most business establishments want to conform by displaying only their name & Company logo.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Grandad that painted brewery sign reminded me of a pub not far away from me called 'The Plough' and it has (or used to be) a full size painting on the gable end of a pastoral scene that would look good in any art gallery.

The unusual pub names also fascinate me, there used to be a pub in a nearby town with a very old painted sign of an upright headless woman in a white dress, the name of the pub you may think 'The Headless Woman' you would be wrong, it is called 'The Quiet Woman' and I used to think it was a bit out of order to imply that a woman should have no head before she stopped talking until I actually read the words painted quite small on the sign and they read "Now the woman be quiet, let no man maketh a riot" I believe it originates many years ago from some troublesome woman losing her head to stop her from encouraging dissent within the local community. :o
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Isn't the history of where we all came from fascinating? Sometimes the devil is in the wee wee details of what WAS not what IS today.

IMO too many of our young people are looking at life and the entire history of how we got to where we are only through their own extremely limited lens. Their "world" is at the ends of their finger tips on a ipad or smart phone and they know very little else. They don't LIVE their live by doing they live their life through the impressions and perceptions of others who likewise are sitting in a room fixated on a screen.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Very true LLL