Up to my eyes

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Up to my eyes

Post by Horus »

I will be so glad when this week is over :td It started out with me spending a lot of time on a job for my mate and that kept me busy, but this month is also a pain in the bum as lots of things need sorting or renewing this month. My car was booked in for its MOT plus I wanted a full service doing at the same time, therefore they need my car all day until late afternoon. I make things worse by having to take it to a place about 8 miles away why? because he is a friend so I like to give him my bussiness (another rod for my own back) That means I have to arrange for someone to pick me up and then take me back again when its finished. So if they find anything wrong and want to keep the car, I will have to organise transport all over again, why do I do I make my life so bloody difficult especially as I have garages within walking distance?

It is also polling day and this is one vote I don't want to miss, I will have to walk there, never mind Annie gets another walk. On top of that my caravan insurance is due to be sorted out before the months end and my AA breakdown cover also needs renewing, these should be no problem but as is typical of all insurance companies they try to shaft you with the new higher premium prompting me into have to telephone them to argue the cost with them.

I tried to order my medication online as I usually do and yes the website is down :evil: so that means a personal visit to drop my prescription in and guess what? no car. :cry: Then to make matters worse I had a flood in my kitchen late last night as a flexible hose connection decided to burst, it was on the hot water side of the sink taps so it also kicked in my gas boiler so I also had boiling water to contend with trying to isolate the mains under the sink unit, meanwhile Annie was going mental with all the commotion. :roll:

So at the moment I have a toilet full of wee as I cannot flush it and with no water I am gagging for a brew, I may as well be doing Ramadan :x Luckily I was able to pick up the spare parts this morning on my way home from the garage, so next job is to get it sorted, phew :a68:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Up to my eyes

Post by Mad Dilys »

I feel for you Horus. We now have drinking water on tap through a filter after buying bottled water for 6 weeks and it's much appreciated.

I have found a use for the huge amount of big bottles. I've only got about 40 left unfortunately as we were putting them in the recycling. More of which anon.
Smile! It confuses people
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Brexit party here i come :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have cast my vote for Brexit :up and also replaced the burst flexible pipe and while I was at it I replaced the cold water one as well. Managed to have the water on long enough to flush the loo and to make a cup of coffee, (not with the same water :D ) switched it off again as I want to try and replace the mixer tap washer while I am on the job although I may not have the part to do it. It is possible that they are ceramic of some kind, no big deal though I can always do that at a later date it is not critical. I still have all of the waste pipe and trap to put back in again, clean everything down and replace all the stuff back under the unit, where does all that stuff come from? I really must cut down on buying washing up liquid, kitchen spray cleaner, floor cleaner, spray polish, soap, washing powder, Windolene, Pledge, disinfectant, pan scrubbers, dust cloths and a miriad of other bottles and cans, either that or get a maid, any volunteers?
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wow - you've definitely had a day H! It'll be one for the books and to put into the annals of "remember when?"

I can relate re: buying way more 'cleaners' of all types than I ever seem to use. I'm determined to use up everything and so probably have not bought any cleaners for, at least, one year but I probably have enough stocked up for the next couple of years.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

My sh1t day got even more sh1tier :x first off the garage phoned me "your car is all done and ready to collect, oh by the way we had to replace a rear coil spring" "oh thanks very much" another £120 on top of the MOT and vehicle full service cost. :(
So as my daughter had very kindly drove me the round trip twice I decided to stop on the way back and buy her dinner at a local canalside pub. It was very nice and afterwards we took Annie for a short walk along the canal, but when we got back her car had a flat front tyre. No problem I said I will soon have that changed, famouse last words. "Where is your thief proof wheel nut removal tool?" "My what?" so after much serching I found the special nut removal tool and after removing the normal wheel nuts I put the wheel brace on the 'Tool' and it did not fit :xx I now needed a socket set to get it off, :cry: not the sort of thing you have hanging around, so telephone call to my mate "can you come to the pub and bring a socket set with you?" he eventually turned up and we changed the wheel, the tyre had a nail in it. :st So back home and contemplating opening a bottle of Merlot, but with my luck it will be corked.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Start throwing SALT over your shoulder and STAY AWAY from leaning ladders!

Hopefully you've now had the day that was and got all the nasties out of the way in one day so the rest of the year you'll cruise scot free from any difficulties.

I have to admit I'm feeling a bit fatigued after just reading all you've been through today.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

@ Horus , Wow! that is some week you have had , better you than me .

I remember just before went to LV there was trouble with our toilet not flushing right, so Roy being Roy thought " no problem I'll get it fixed " me thinking he's never sorted a toilet in his life, well after a few trips to B & Q most parts were all replaced and I have to admit everything going well again.

Of course all the mess is left to mother dear to clean up, are you so messy Horus when your doing jobs around the house............and I've bought less cleaning stuff lately using everything I had before I buy again, now I just buy as and when I need and I've loads more space in my cupboards :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I can keep track (in my mind amongst the other clutter ;) ) of almost everything in the house except for cleaners. I've the laundry detergent and dishwasher soap down to a science but everything else I always think I'm out of it or about to be out of it and the temptation to just grab another bottle of whatever is pretty strong. This past year or so I've just given up even walking down that aisle in the grocery store.

I realize where this temptation and need to buy in case I run out comes from and it is from living here. When the boat comes in if it is a popular product it is going to fly off the shelves as literally everybody buys in bulk so we don't run out as most times half the shelves are empty and popular items not available. Not that his has to do with cleaning supplies but if I'm going shopping for fruits & veggies the BEST day to go is Tuesday afternoon as typically the truck comes on the Ferry Monday (they're Teamsters) which means the produce hits the shelves late Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. Shop for fruits and veggies on a Sunday means you're getting everything that has already been picked over.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes Kiya, I am a messy worker when I am doing a job, tools and parts everywhere. :oops: It was probably because Mrs H used to hover around cleaning up after me and putting stuff away often to my annoyance :lol: I still make as much mess, but now it is just me that has to clean everything up, I miss my little helper :( I'm not surprised that Roy was able to fix a job he was unfamiliar with, we men are so gifted. ;) :D
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

:lol: I was the same hovering around Roy which I shouldn't cause anything that went wrong of course it was my fault, so easy blame somebody else when the tough get going.

I was down at his place yesterday doing some cleaning for him, OMG! I was the first hour tidying up clothes strewn everywhere....men.....its so easy to put away as and when.

I asked him ( jokingly) when he was home from work if everything was to his satisfaction, the reply came back 7/10 cause I had no supper ready for him, after some thought I wrote back to him in that case my cleaning must have been 100/100 if you give me 7/10 just because no food ready..."Cool" he says, it's good to out smart him sometimes :lol: :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Remember Kiya that we men cannot readily admit to others that they can perform tasks 100%, that score is reserved for us blokes. ;) :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Today my daughter has a busy schedule but Grandson is on half term holiday. Daughter has requested that he makes friends with the vacuum cleaner and does all the floors today.

"That's cool!" he said, "But Gramma may have to show me if I go wrong."
I offered sweep the small rooms which I can do one handed,but the vacuum hose is too heavy for me. Daughter said, "No he's strong and it's time he started to learn how use to it and practice regularly. Let him do it." :up

About time in my opinion, which I course I don't express. He will after all be 16 years old in July. :st
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I concur that at 16 anybody should know how to do most anything and everything about the house. I don't have lots of cleaning ever to do here cause I never make a mess in the first place. When I decide to transplant my plants on the kitchen counter (on plastic) I will make a mess but usually small so an easy clean up. Still on the look out for a wooden or sturdy plastic small garden table I can put outside down by the veggies as I'd love to be able to mess up down there.

I do think though that H had the day that was and hopefully it is over and gone. Have heard of things coming in 3's but when it starting hitting into the double digits !!!!?????
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

MD, it might surprise you to know that DH wouldn't have a clue how to turn a vacuum cleaner on, let alone use it! Getting him to help change the bed is painful to watch too! If he offers to wash up - a job which takes me 10 minutes - I will go away and two hours later he's still doing it! Honestly, the only thing I get him to do is the shopping and that can take him hours by the time he's stopped and talked to all and sundry! :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Sounds like my sort of guy RS