One of Life's little mysteries?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

One of Life's little mysteries?

Post by Mad Dilys »

According to family legend my father was the only child in his family to have been born in England. When I started to research my family back ground I found he was born in Chester, but though I noticed that the year of his birth was different, I didn't notice that the date was different as well. :urm:

Last week I was looking at old documents on Ancestry and found a mystery that has turned up. My family believed my Father was born 22nd November, 1904 and his birthday was always celebrated 22nd November.

On the Irish Census of 1911 my Father was listed DOB "About" 1904 his siblings exactly 2 years apart. However all the English documentation gives his DOB as 1903 and his birth date as 22nd March!

That is more than a slip of the pen 22nd March 1903 or 22nd November 1904. :tk

The other odd thing is that according my Dad he was 3 weeks old when he went to Ireland and 11years old when he left. I cannot understand why my Grandfather who was on the technical design team in the ship yards in the UK was lurking in Rural Ireland with 6 children and Mother in Law to support according to the Census.

The only explanation I can think of is that the baby born 22.03.03 who was born in Chester went back to Ireland when 3 weeks old, but died before the next baby born 22.11.04 was born in Ireland and who was given his name ……….. and that baby was my Dad, who equally strangely for those days was never Christened or went to church.

Note - naming babies after dead siblings used to be common, my Mother was named after an older sister, and my aunt named her 3rd daughter after the 2nd one who died.

Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: One of Life's little mysteries?

Post by Grandad »

MD, your theory does sound logical. So would that increase your Irish ancestry? ;)
It was very common for people to falsify their age to, say, get a job or join the armed services but your evidence seems to relate to true dates of birth.
Names were used as you describe and in my own case, my middle name was my paternal grandmothers maiden name.
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I am hoping to emigrate in a few months to Ibiza and am currently in the turmoil of sorting stuff and arranging for my future health care. During this chaos my youngest daughter who is a died in the wool Remainer said that I was luckier than her - because I had an Irish Grandmother.

Apparently you don't need Irish parents or to have been born in Ireland to qualify for an Irish passport, a single Irish grand parent is enough and I have one. The point being that Ireland is a member of the EU and holders qualify automatically for benefits. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@Mad Dilys
MD I do hope that when you finally move to Ibiza you will continue to contribute to this forum. I know we have come a long way from being an Egypt based forum but, in our chatty discussions on all manner of topics, you would be missed. But the cyber world is everywhere so keep posting. ;)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Actually, one of the reasons I agreed to go was that it's easier for me to get to Egypt!

Cardiff to London Heathrow is quite a trip if you have mobility issues, and I can't sit for a long time - just pottering up the aisle in everyone's way isn't enough. But Ibiza to Madrid or Barcelona is about an hour and then 2 hours on the next leg to Cairo where we have a flat.

I'm also hoping to get a new camera and take some decent pictures of Ibiza - it is such a lovely wild old island when you are away from the city. There's no clubs in Santa Eulalia just clean streets, lots and lots of excellent restaurants, a lovely long wide promenade, clean beach and lots of water sports. I will live about 5 minutes drive away tucked onto the hillside right where the really rural area begins.

The annex my daughter is making for me has been given the same name as my garden in Luxor - JenJenna or Jennies Heaven. :up
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Stop it MD, you are making me very jealous.....It all sounds idyllic :up
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Another reason for the difference in your father's date of birth could be just plain misinformation, MD! These sites rely heavily on other peoples' family information and depending on how carefully the given information is researched, can make a huge difference. I found this out for myself when I found, to my horror, that my father's info stated that he had been married three times! :ni: I knew he had been married twice and his first wife died in childbirth but someone had erroneously stated that he had married the lady who was my godmother, in 1952 - ten years after he married my mother! When you think that my mother had four more children AFTER 1952, it beggars belief on who published the information in the first place! :xx
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I never once knew that info re: Ireland. That is interesting. Now that I've started looking into Ancestry I always thought my maternal grandfather was born there but turns out he was actually born in Scotland so any past claims to having an Irish Grandfather are now wrong and gone. Hope you're able to get over and settled into Ibizia. Sounds like a wonderful place. Do make sure you get wifi and keep in touch with us all.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Ruby my previous info was from Civil Registration of Birth 1837 - 1915 ……… year 1903
Boy born to my Grandparents in Bucklow - a town near Liverpool

Now Civil Registration of Death Index England and Wales 1916 -2007

John Edward ----
Born Belfast Antrim Northern Ireland 1904
Died 30/05/58
Residence 1911 Census Cootehill County Cavan Ireland

I have also found from another registry that my grand parents married in Belfast in 1893

I can't find a baptism registration anywhere, which doesn't surprise me as he told me that he only went into a church once in his life - and that he was not baptised and lived in Cootehill County Cavan when he was a child and he did die 30th May 1958.

More and more facts! I find it fascinating.