Bananas for Grandad

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Bananas for Grandad

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

If my memory is correct I think Grandad and Mrs Grandad got a banana plant this past summer and grew it in their backyard.

Just saw the workers here planting this group of banana plants today

This is the group that was planted last year

Not too sure how long it takes to actually get bananas but they definitely grow here quite quickly. Don't remember how big the one Grandad had grew in total but I recall it being showy.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Bananas for Grandad

Post by Grandad »

This was August last year LLL

As it had a couple of pups, I chopped up the plant and potted the pups. Didn't really care for them properly and they didn't survive SO this year, NO BANANAS ;) :lol:
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm very interested in this as I grow banana in my garden in Luxor.

My original 15 plants were quite robust, about my shoulder height. (I'm 5' 8") they just grew the first year, on average I would say to over 9' except for one plant. Obviously a mutation it was only about 3' when delivered with the others and grew to about 5' it had a small number of very scant fruit and only produced one pup a year.

The other plants fruited well. I cut off the stem which had borne fruit and kept the strongest of the pups. The fruits to be honest were nothing to write home about, but my aim was to have a tropical garden and they looked good and I love the flowers. I kept the small one as a curiosity.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

They have lots of banana plants here in all stages of growth. Lots with bunches of bananas which always look super interesting and really add that tropical feel.

Ever since Grandad got one I have been looking for one too but have not seen any in our stores.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Saw this banana plant and bananas here today. While I've seen bananas both here and in the Caribbean in green stage I don't think I've ever seen any ripe on the tree. I'm not sure if all bananas are picked green and then ripened on the shelf so to speak.

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I eat the greenest bananas I can find! I love green bananas! :up I saw a TV documentary a few months ago and one section was about the bananas we buy in our supermarkets. They are shipped in their green state, kept in a cold store, then put out onto the shelves near other fruits to ripen.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I used to cut my banana trusses green, take them home and put them in a closed big black plastic sack to ripen. If they were left on the plant to ripen they had a strange texture. Not unpleasant but odd.
Smile! It confuses people