Holiday 2019

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

bigken

Holiday 2019

Post by bigken »

After a lovely break in Krakow, its time to plan for this year, after her ladyship getting her way last year with a taste of the Red Sea and a 4 day break to Luxor, its down to me. For a few months now I've had thoughts of hitting the far east again, going back to Vietnam, but the North this time.
Starting at its capital Hanoi before working our way down to Hue, Da Nang then back to Hoi An for a few days, then it would be back to Da Nang to fly to Siem Reap in Cambodia ( having nailed the Aurora Borealis last November, its moved Angkor Wat up my List). Then when I've finished with Cambodia it would a short flight to either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to finish off with a few days before returning home.
So here I am, laptop on the go trying to plan it and I keep thinking to myself after having 2 amazing breaks to Iceland then Krakow, why not put the Far east on hold for 12 months and hit Europe. I'm thinking Italy, I've done Rome, Milan and Turin all for football but feel there is a whole lot more to see. Now that I have got the Mrs to travel lite and not need 23kgs of luggage every time she travels ;) . We could fly to Rome then use the train to do Pisa, Florence, Bologna then Venice, in fact there would be nothing to stop us travelling around Adriatic Sea into Croatia :tk .
Its never easy :D

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Holiday 2019

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Selecting a destination is always a challenge. So many interesting & exciting places to see and so little time. When I was young and in my prime I didn't mind long double digit hour long flights. Now I've narrowed down to non-stop around 4 hours from airport to destination but am thinking I might up the flying time a notch or two and take in places again that are further afield.

Your thought on the far east definitely sound like a terrific trip. All the places you listed would be fascinating to see BK but when there are so many other places it is hard to decide.

Just to throw in a suggestion - if you liked Iceland the Canadian Arctic might also appeal. Definitely different.

I might also add that the planning of a trip can be equally interesting and fun too. Nothing like researching all the places you want to see and all the ins and outs of getting here there and everywhere whilst keeping to an itinerary. All good stuff to do!
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I like your thoughts on holiday planning BK.
Our opportunities for travel are now seriously curtailed. However if we were to do another long haul, my choice would be India. Been three times to mainland India, and once to Sri Lanka, and love the country.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd love to go to India. Quite far away and once I had the travel pegged at almost a full day but would still love to go there but once there having travelled that far I'd want to stay a minimum of a month or two.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

BK your thoughts on your holiday sounds exciting ...........go for it :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

My daughters do my travelling for me :oops: The eldest was going to do India last year but real life got in the way. She's decided this year to go to Japan instead with her son for three weeks while I dog sit. I hope I will have moved in with her by then. :a20:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Japan and India would be phenomenal destinations but I think for me India might be a tad in the lead.
bigken

Post by bigken »

The Canadian Arctic sounds right up my street LLL, but I don't think I'd get the Mrs to do cold again. But I must say Grandad I do like the sound of India, wouldn't mind giving it ago. As for Sri Lanka we went into the travel agency to book a couple of weeks there, but came out 30mins later with 3 weeks in Vietnam via Istanbul [emoji57] .

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Watching Arctic whales is on my Bucket List.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I love watching whales period. They fascinate me. Course many things in nature fascinate me. So much to see and think about so little time.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I have never seen large whales like Blue and Humpback. When in Tenerife a couple of years ago we did take a boat trip out to see pilot whales and dolphins. Pilot whales are much smaller than the big boys but very sociable and they came right up close to the boat. Beautiful creatures.
Something I can never fathom. When you see marine mammals like dolphins speeding through the water, they don't appear to be moving any fins to propel themselves, they just glide at speed through the water???
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

It's Magic Grandad, pure Magic.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Whales are phenomenal. The sheer size alone is breath taking. Nothing makes you feel small when you're in a 15' boat on ocean waters and suddenly a 12' dorsal fin rises out of the water beside the boat. Was years ago and it was a Killer Whale. Will never forget it.
bigken

Post by bigken »

we could have done a trip to see whales while we was in Iceland, very tempted but it wasn't the best time of the year for seeing them,

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Remember these?
Well they are going back tomorrow. They were an impulsive purchase and good value for money BUT the largest case is so big we would never use it. The small one would be used occasionally but the medium one is the only one likely to have regular use. So, we will buy a matching pair of new 4 wheel cases. I have never really liked rigid cases and prefer canvas cases which invariably have an expansion option.

Today we have spent time online trying to find a holiday that would suit is both. I found a nice river cruise from Saigon in Vietnam to Angkar in Cambodia. I would love to do that BUT my mobility would prevent me from getting the full benefit of the trip.

We then considered a river cruise in Europe but both agreed, that didn't exite us. We thought about Mauritious, 11 hour flight to sit on a beach? No thanks.

So after much deliberation we got nowhere, a bit like the Government really. :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

It is really hard to decide on where to go particularly if you're not into long travel times. Taking an entire day to get somewhere never used to bother me but the past few years since I stopped working I seem to lack time (really just don't want to do it now) to get anywhere too far away.

I went to El Salvador and loved it and likewise I used to go often to Trinidad - BUT - socially, politically, criminally those two countries are just not safe places to go right now. Honestly I'm not too terribly even sure sometimes about Mexico either ;) although this particular city is based on tourism (very much like Luxor) and most here are very used to and welcoming of an outside influence aka tourists. I don't think I've ever seen or even heard of any issues here.

I'm kinda thinking though that I've come here for the last 3 years and it is probably time I start thinking about going somewhere else. Question is 'where' ....

BTW Grandad - I don't like the super big suitcases either. Way bigger than I need so I basically travel with 1 hardside medium suitcase and just acquired a 4 wheel hardside gold - just like yours. Truly too if I had to I could get away with only my carry on.
bigken

Post by bigken »

So we have decided and this years lucky destination for our 2019 travels is ………………… The Far East. Flights are booked. We start of with a little 16hr trip to the Cambodian Capital Phnom Penh with a 90min change at Hong Kong, thanks to Cathay Pacific. Then a 3 night stay at the capital before making our own way to Siem Reap for 4 nights, ( so it could a coach journey or Grandad we can do it by boat :tk ). Next up is a flight into Da Nang before a short taxi back to the stunning Unesco site - old town of Hoi An for 5 nights R&R, saying that it would be rude of me not to go and see the golden bridge.

Once fully rested we will take a car over the Hai Van Pass to the city of Hue for a couple of nights, Hue was the scene of some of the longest and bloodiest battles in the Vietnam war, we did do a day trip here back in 2017 but would like to see a bit more. Then its back on a iron bird for a 60min flight to Hanoi for a 6 night stay, we did look at doing the journey by train but decided against the 12hr overnight trip. While in the countries capital a day out at Halong Bay will be on the cards.
Then all it leaves is the little matter of the return flights :( , so all I have to do is sort out some accommodation :roll:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

WOW!!!!!!! Sounds FANTASTIC BK!!! Absolutely fantastic!!!

Going to be looking forward to lots of photos from you! :up :up :up
bigken

Post by bigken »

Looking forward to it LLL, three out of five hotels booked, all offering free airport collection ( or bus station/ river collection in the case of Siem Reap), I would imagine they will be a few photos :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Sounds great BK! Will be waiting