What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Horus »

@ Kiya, that is another of his hobbies, he is also a qualified radio ham.

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Astronomy is fascinating but 'tis a hobby beyond my thinking abilities. Just can't grasp the enormity of space and what all is going on 'up there'!

Cause we were just mentioning "Hells Angels" few posts back I now seem to be seeing them all over. Maybe this time of year they're holding all their rallies? :mb: :mb: :mb:

Personally I'm with HurghadaPat in that IMO they NOT the rabble rousers they're made out to be. Some are and maybe early days they were but now they seem to be a well organized group that does undertake charitable acts.

Today in the world I'm getting ready to go to a basketball game. The twins have a game scheduled for today so will head over to watch them. Haven't seen them play for a bit over a month now so am hoping the two teams are a bit better at playing than the last time. After the game am thinking I'll head to the Pub for a late lunch breakfast in that on Sundays the Pub offers a morning bacon & eggs type 'brunch' where you can get a breakfast 'til 2pm. Overall their food is very good. It isn't fancy cooking (lots of plain food) but I love it. Been mulling over who I can ask to join me but am drawing a blank on who is actually around this weekend soooooooooo if any of y'all are cruising the area feel free to swing by "The Well"! :eat :eat :eat
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I'm having the same problem LLL, I have just purchased my home insurance via 'Compare the Market.com' if you are familiar with them they have a little Meercat called Alexander as an animated character in their adverts. If you buy through them you can get your 'Meercat Rewards App' for your phone, this entitles you to 2 for 1 offers at participating fast food outlets and cinemas, but I have no one to ask along :( so like you said, if anyone wishes to swing by.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - yeah it is a pain sometimes trying to find somebody. Most of my gf have husbands soooooooo ;) I guess I DO understand when they prefer to go out with the hubbies instead of ME. I even understand the daughter has a husband and family to look after and can only spend so much time with "Mom" aka Me too.

Usually during the week I can stir up somebody to do something with but weekends can be difficult as that is when most people are both off work and so doing all the daily tasks or going out together.

I usually try to keep busy cause sitting in a chair is a real life killer. Having friends is also important as being able to get out and about and do things is what keeps ya young. I belong to a few Clubs (Garden Club (although it has no regular place to meet right now pending the new building is built), Pottery at Seniors Clubhouse which I quite enjoy and Probus (Professional Business) that is all retired professional people (mostly couples though) who have a monthly meeting + speaker and then a whole raft of social activities but most don't appeal to me i.e. Bridge, Mexican Trains (whatever that card game is), Euchre, Canasta, Wine Tasting (that is hosted at all different houses but you really MUST be a connoisseur), Pub Night (mostly couples), Golf (I do not play) etc etc etc. Am not a card player to the extent I want to sign up for an every other week meet up. I know less than nothing about wine, tried Golf and didn't like it. I did go to their fall craft meet up which was ok but now stopped 'til this fall.

It is nice to get into a group but, for me, if the group gets too large I cease to enjoy it. Mostly I love going out for a tea or coffee with the ability to talk & chat in a comfortable environment where I can hear the person who is talking. Can't stand loud, noisy, full of drinking to drunk people.

My latest "join" has been the RCMP Volunteers and so far am enjoying them as they do span all age brackets and everybody seems cheerful & helpful & on the same wavelength as me. They're doing regular 'work' re: patrols but there are also lots of one off events (bike registrations) so you get the chance to meet and talk with people beyond a super brief 'Hi, how are ya?'

It really is hard to keep active and doing things that 'fit' with you.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Yes as you say the hardest part is really going out somewhere like the cinema or for a meal as a single person.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I can empathise with you both as 'single' people when any friends are most likely couples BUT....
Due to other circumstances even couples can have similar problems. At least you two folks are still mobile and can get yourself out and about. In our, my wife and my own, situation our big problem is failing eyesight. This, as I have told, restricts mobility with the loss of a licence to drive a car. Even with my neuropathy in my legs I COULD drive a vehicle with manual controls but failing sight excludes that.
So our way of life also has its limitations even now to foreign travel which is now off the 'to do' list.
I can accept the situation and appreciate the occasions when we are able to get out with family. My wife is less accepting and even the need to take taxis to the supermarket for weekly shopping always brings the question 'If only we still had a car'?
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I sympathise with your lack of mobility problems Grandad I assume she never learned to drive herself? I suppose one is a lifestyle choice whether you drive or not, but the other is just something that happens to you and often not by choice. You can often cadge a lift to a social event or hire a taxi if you have no transport, but not so easy to borrow or hire a partner for a social event. :lol: Its those last minute decisions like "shall we go to the cinema?" or "Lets go for a meal" that are impossible to do unless you enjoy doing those things on your own.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

We have a very new "Liberal" thing happening here with new legislation foisted upon us few years back. It has really totally changed the way we're all interacting here.

Our new law is that once you enter into a relationship (which is extremely loosely defined) you become responsible for it. Now "pre-nups" are mandatory because if not somebody else after 6 months can claim spousal support and go for half your assets (and are) in a heartbeat. This new law even goes so far as to define your relationship with a child of a relationship you could be in i.e. You meet somebody in September. Their child has a birthday in October & you give a gift. Then candy at Hallowe'en. Thanksgiving come and you have a big meal and hand out a card/gift then comes Christmas and another gift. Valentines day in February and you give chocolates. That is now 6 months and you've established a relationship with the child.

You break up in March and can suddenly find yourself in court with Orders to continuing supporting the child cause if you stopped this is apparently going to traumatize the child unnecessarily AND apparently the child has now come to expect this support from you!!! Doesn't mean you'll get visitation or to ever see this child again but you'd better be prepared to send gifts (or probably $$$ as per the Court order) 'til the child is 19 and IF they opt to go to University possibly until the child is 24 (or maybe 26).

Same/same if you start to date - what is happening is women and sometimes men (but mostly the news has reported women) are sussing out people with pensions or $$$. They're then trying to find your address and you, the unsuspecting, will start getting mail for them at your address. This is taken by our courts as date stamped proof this person was indeed LIVING AT & IN your house therefore proof of a relationship. Pictures in gardens (outside) are accepted and a photo inside (which is extremely easy to take with phones etc these days are also presented to Court as proof you were 'living with' and there need "financial spousal support" to continue the lifestyle you've become accustomed to. It is a HUGE scam here. Had a gf taken by it. Last half her pension, forced to sell her house (albeit to family) to say nothing of all the Courts he has drug her through.

This new law has essentially changed the way everybody is living. All my friends are people I've met decades ago through work and/or through are married couples and/or (and his sounds hard and crass) as much to lose as I do. I have absolutely not intention at all ever of giving up half my pension to somebody I've casually known for 6 months. Why would I introduce an unknown into my life so they could (if of ill intent) decide to take me to the cleaners? Not going to happen. I'm totally fine and super happy living as I do now. I can come and go as I want, do what I want, have the ability to be totally self-sufficient (in that I don't "need" somebody else to help me through my day). Maybe sounds hard but such is our new Global Liberal Political reality here that has a strong bent to all of us being equal yet translates to anybody with something giving to somebody else who has made lifestyle choices to impoverish themselves.

Do you know there is even, I'll say "discussion" here that us "Old People" are "Over Resourced." This means we're living in houses with more than 1 bedroom and "Why do we NEED all this space?" and shouldn't we benificently OFFER OUT our extra rooms to those who have no homes??

The mantra then proceeds to inform all us Old People that bringing young adults into our lives would benefit us greatly as the young person could do all our chores, keep us company, cook for for us ..........IT IS TOTALLY DISGUSTING TO HEAR OUR POLITICIANS CARRY ON LIKE THIS even to the extent of the Mayor Lisa Helps of Victoria (the Captial) going on TV requesting IF all Homeowners took home only 1 homeless person we wouldn't have a Homeless problem anymore. Course she failed to state that most of the Homeless are drug addicted criminals who have brought not having a home upon themselves by their own lifestyle choices.

Anyway I'd much rather have a day on my own than to ever remotely introduce a "friend" into my life. Truly not worth the hassle...……..rant over for today ;)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

With laws like that I would totally agree with you, the people dreaming up this stupidy need ejecting from politics, it is for this sort of thing that many voted for Brexit as they are fed up with stupid rules being brought in. My pet hate is when we get told that we 'old uns' have it too good and our state pensions should be curbed in favour of giving youngsters more. My reply to that is when I have worked for 50 years and paid into the various systems for that long "You aint giving me anything! I have not paid into and earned all my working life". :x
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Horus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:12 am I sympathise with your lack of mobility problems Grandad I assume she never learned to drive herself?
Actually H she did drive and like the rest of the family, passed the test first time. Used to often remind me of that if I did something in my driving that she criticised :lol:
She had to stop driving 5 years ago as her AMD developed. I stopped nearly 3 years ago when I decided that I no longer felt safe. I did pass the DVLA eye test in October 2016 which renewed my licence. It was not too long after that that 'I' decided to stop. I shall get the three year reminder very shortly and I must then decide whether to do the test again, just in case.
My reason for delaying giving up my licence is that, in the meantime, I have had cataract surgery on both eyes.
If I could pass I would think seriously about getting a small manual controlled car just for the short journeys. I am clutching at straws I know but until somebody TELLS me not to drive, I still have hope.
My neighbour had a shock a few weeks ago. He has glaucoma and at a routine appointment the doctor told him 'He must stop driving'. In desperation he went to his regular optician in the hope that a new prescription MAY help. The optician also said 'You must stop driving'. So now he depends on his wife who DOES NOT LIKE DRIVING.
As we jokingly say sometimes "Where is that rope?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - that is the mantra here by our Politicians that "I" as a Senior apparently have it "too good"!!!! It totally enrages me as it was ME out there at all hours for days on end working and working in highly dangerous situations so I could RETIRE on a decent pension and NOT have to subsist on cat food!!! This entitlement generation that is wanting everything handed to them on a silver platter taking it from everybody else is absolutely total BS! (to put it mildly)

This new LAW was not put into effect for old people although the result has been a disaster as many old women & men are being preyed up mercilessly - makes the Egyptian Corniche Guys look tame! I'm watching my gf go through it and it is absolutely awful that you meet a fellow (I met him and he was a late 50ies guy who seemingly had a decent career) who then decides to 'take you' to the cleaners claiming suddenly he needs all that you've worked for as he has nothing!!! I really don't know specifics but when first told I had a hard time wrapping my head around that you date somebody for a year and then they can claim against your pensions & home never having contributed a dime...…….NOT HAPPENING HERE. PERIOD END OF.

Nor am I ever going to open the door to ANYBODY (homeless or otherwise) moving in with me. I've seen the young generation. They're only going to sponge off the elderly person and it is ludicrous to remotely think they're going to 'help' in any fashion other than to suck up all available air and carry on with their squandering drug addicted ways.

It is really hard to explain what socially is happening here but "yes" we have lots of homeless. "Yes" we now have a Gov't that wants us to be an equalized global community and is enacting umpteen ridiculous new laws that are doing nothing other than upsetting the apple cart for everybody!!! To be told your Pension (which is less than welfare here) isn't going up cause we have to house thousands and thousand of Refugees in hotels is totally maddening......
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Grandad - losing mobility or transportation is probably the biggest life changer of all time. Losing the ability to just pop in the car and go out and about is awful and probably one of my own biggest fears. We don't really have the infrastructure here re: buses or vans for Seniors that works well. One Doctors app't is 15 minutes by car but relying on Public Transit takes hours and hours. People with diabetes have an extremely difficult time given they need to eat etc but when it takes them 6 to 8 hours of being 'out there' waiting for and riding around in buses they really do have a point.

I'm always planning for that day when I may lose the ability to drive and I'll be scootering it. I can get to a small grocery store, pharmacy, Pub, Restaurant (Greek food so not my favourite) but none-the-less it is there. It can get real difficult and makes your world small which I'm betting feels quite confining.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

God almighty, LLL! Reading your laws I find myself feel sick to my stomach - and extremely glad I leve here and not in Canada! You poor, poor people!
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - this has all come about in the past 5 years. We have this elected (ahem) "idiot" in control who is wanting us to be the first real "GLOBAL" society (or some such rot) and he is turning everything upside down and inside out. This new Family Law Relationship Act is out of this world yet there are TONS and TONS of people (you know them - the non-working tatoo'd drinking drugging crowd) totally in favour of it. They seem to feel "entitled" to what the rest of us have worked for and to hear them make speeches and write letters it seems all of working people & pensioners OWE them the BEST in life.

It IS totally gut wrenching churning.

IF you are a LL now you are basically turning your full asset over to somebody else to with as they want. The Gov't now has their finger into everything. Last year the Gov't basically said IF you own a second home if it is NOT rented out you're fined!!! So if your family owns a summer cabin and our Govt defines 'family' only as son/daughter/mother/father - apparently brothers/sisters/aunts/uncles/Grandparents do not count - but if your immediately family is not living in the cabin full time you're FINED 5% of it's assessed value and that goes for every name on title. On average you have to pay the Gov't an extra $5000/yr cause you're not renting out your second home!!! No discussion, no nothing this was just brought in by our lovely New Democratic Liberaly Gov't! To avoid this tax you rent out your second home to anybody BUT BUT BUT once they are IN your place there is no legitimate reason you can give to get them out other than YOU personally are MOVING in and you better live there for a full year otherwise you OWE the TENANTS the equivalent of 1 yr rent.

Mostly here the Gov't is out to break down anybody who has anything. They've enacted strict laws against most average professional level working families who own their own home. This "relationship" law is beyond words. I can't hardly even talk about it without seeing red. Essentially this law means I can't innocently give a child a gift without fear that I will be court ordered to do so forever more AND what is more infuriating is that thousands of these welfare or low incomer earners are now just waiting and expecting to "get" something on you. It is truly so very very sad what our Politicians are turning this country into. It is really beyond belief.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Since when did Canada become a communist country - because that's what it sounds like! Why is everyone who matters sitting down under such treatment? Even Russia doesn't have such draconian laws!
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I have to agree that sounds very Draconian and flies totally in the face of how I imagined Canada to be. I have never visited Canada, but always had this idea of it being a more Anglicised America with a smattering of European French and the culture would reflect that. I imagined it with lots of open spaces, clean streets and a healthy outdoor lifestyle, you paint a very depressing picture of somewhere I would hate to live. It is bad enough that we in this country have to put up with more and more legislation that like yours always seem to be biased to giving your own wealth away to others. I am not against paying my taxes, but when I see how it is squandered on basically lazy work-shy people it annoys me. Our social services seem to be in constant decline, cuts in health care, cuts in policing, failing education in schools etc. the genuine poor or sick seem to miss out while the scroungers seem to get everything. Your problem seems to mirror our political system, we have on one side a party that represents (in a fashion) the working middle class and on the other hand a progressively more radical left wing Labour party that has as its core support the very young, our growing immigrant community and those who want something for nothing. Most of these groups do not pay tax or contribute to all the policies that their leaders propose and indeed will implement if they get elected.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I would echo Horus's comments LLL. You have painted a very different picture of living in Canada than was my view. Like Horus, I have never been to Canada but have always felt it is somewhere I would like to visit.
My image is/was of a country safe to live in, you don't have similar gun laws to the US, a lot of timber used in building construction, Mounties although no longer on horseback in red tunics. Good honest people many with roots in the UK. Somewhere I would probably like to live.
You have dashed that view but I must ask, is what you tell us confined to BC or is it countrywide? We have our problems here, political and social but you seem to be matching us sadly.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Been on the Island since the early 1970ies and it was always a wonderful place to live. Climactically the best place in all Canada. Couldn't wait to get back when I retired but in the past 'about' 5 years we've changed dramatically. Our PM started bringing in refugees - 30,000 direct from Syria (not that that the Island got 30,000 but we got lots). We didn't have an over abundance of available housing but this basically broke the system and seemed to be the turning point to our downturn. Our PM has also welcome'd like Merkle all those who want to leave the USA or come from anywhere else so we're getting thousands per month illegally crossing from the USA (these are NOT sterling professional people) and we're putting them in hotels, school residences etc. This has cause a major serious housing shortage for our own citizens who are now pushed to living in tents on the streets or in the forests.

Our own downtown is no longer safe. Has been about 2 yrs since I've been down there to walk around even during the day. We have illegal tent cities forming that become a haven for drugs, prostitution, crime...… all in a city of 100,000.

This was a recent photo.....rather front page but one of the milder ones reflecting what our area is now like since our Gov't opted to offer FREE HOUSING, FREE TVs, FREE FOOD, FREE CLOTHING to all those poor people who can't make it on their own. No consultation with neighbours, no consultation with anybody they dragged in work trailers to almost the center of town in a residential area of mostly seniors threw up a 6' fence (which is climbed over and dug under where you watch daily drug trades) and moved in 80 criminal addicts. They did the same about 1 mile from me (as the crow flies) beside our Recreational complex......
61349208_10156415696076305_3941751552103940096_n[1].jpg
Nobody goes downtown. People sleep in their businesses and on their boats in the Marina. People are not safe walking the streets. Children have their bicycles wrestled away from them all with the threat that if you don't give them your purse, wallet, bike, whatever they'll stab you with a dirty needle.

We've gone from a very clean, organized, live by rule of law almost overnight to a criminalized dirty unsanitary hole.

BTW - I did NOT title the photo. All the street people are referred to as S**t Rats here. Basically on consuming some drugs it causes an immediate need to poop and so they do everywhere. Truly everywhere whenever with no sense of cleanliness or modesty at all.

Lastly - the RCMP's mantra is "we will not tolerate Vigilantism" and not that I personally "KNOW" for a fact one way or another but I have not one doubt it is very alive and well......another sad aspect of daily life here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I really sympathise with you LLL, we have a similar problem here with large uncontrolled immigration from the Middle East and unbridled free movement from within the EU. This has created a problem with our available housing stock and social services like hospitals, schools and doctors, we never built up the infrastructure to cope with this level of population increase. Once again it is our politicians that have let us ordinary people down, for their own grand schemes, personal kudos and stage strutting they have imposed unwanted change on the people and our country.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Same here. Most of our Politicians are expert at stage strutting, open self-congratulate that they're "saving" all these refugees and on and on however they have absolutely not 1 care for how this is impacting us 'on the ground' and/or that even after coming here there is no support net in place for anybody. Even in the face of outright FACT i.e. our RCMP announced crime has risen 253% and presented the number of calls etc to City Council and advised they have requested 15 new Officers. Within the week the Minister of Housing who started this fiasco denied there has been any crime impact on the City at all!!!!!!!

It really is INSANE with a capital "I" that a Politician can blatantly lie, disregard facts and then put down any nay sayers by touting we're all 'racists' or some such. (The game here is to call anybody who disagrees with any politician "racists" or "privileged" which also alludes to the person being 'white' and therefore having had such an easy life they're not 'in' or 'aware' of the real world.) 'Tis all BS on a major scale.