What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Horus »

That's interesting RS, they may be a bit rough around the edges, but they often do charitable work (well some do)

Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

@Horus.....most are not rough around the edges,a few years ago whilst running a pub which also did B/B we had all out rooms booked out to Hells Angels that were attending a large convention at Kielder Forest and surprise ,surprise most of them were professional people,they also provided their own security at the site which was not because they thought there might be trouble from the Hells Angels but to stop outsiders infiltrating with the intention of causing trouble.The pub was in a very small quiet village which was built on a bank so to avoid disturbing the locals late at night when returning from Kielder they used to switch off the engines and coast down the bank.I was also amazed at how much actual charity work that they actually do and not only in this country,and most of it is never reported in the press or on tv.I must admit I was a bit worried at first about letting them stay but couldn't have wished to meet a nicer bunch of guys.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just a turn of phrase Hurghadapat, my point being that generally they are not bad people, they don't all wear suits.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Pat, I would have liked to get a closer look at their jackets to find out where they came from, and give DH a closer look at their bikes etc. but customs had 'corralled' them a way away from other vehicles. :(
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

@Ruby Slippers ....Some of their bikes cost the same as a car and they do seem to be their pride and joy as they are always gleaming,and yes they do come from all over the world to take part in these events.When you get close up their jackets are covered in badges and all mean something.They really are a sight to be seen when they are out en masse.
Last year there was a funeral in the next town to where I live of a Hells Angel who had been killed in an accident and they brought the town to a standstill as there was about 200 of them.very sad but what a send off they gave him.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Every few years Hells Angels come to the Island, ride up Island (North) and then cross to Quadra Island for a long weekend meeting. Not sure the numbers now but used to be a few hundred. Was quite an impressive sight to see them to say nothing of the noise of hearing them.

They used to have an actual Clubhouse here in this City. It is empty now and turned into a very run down theatre (went once and it was pretty scuzzy) but am not sure if Hells Angels still technically own the building or not.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Today, this afternoon I get to do my driving test in the RCMP Community Policing vehicle. Definitely hope the Instructor fellow is available today. He rather threw my week out of whack by cancelling last week as I've also signed for a shift this evening (which I wouldn't have done if I'd known I'd be out all afternoon too)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

They have already arrested 10 of them on the A23 in Sussex for carrying weapons.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

@ LLL, no doubt that very soon you will be sitting in your lounge with a flashing blue light chanting "Nee Naw, Nee Naw. :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H....I have no doubt I will (although I think I will specialize in bike registrations)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Just finished a little project for my mate, he is getting into astronomy as his new hobby, so I have designed and made him this supporting pier for his telescopes as they are very heavy, but need to be completely rigid and adjustable. Just hoping he doesn't have any mates that are into it as well, I don't want them all knocking on my door. :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

That's very interesting, Horus. What's it made of?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

The lower section supporting the telescope is fabricated from mild steel and then painted, it goes into the ground nearly one metre.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Horus your so clever with gadgets and your hands :)
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Kind of you to say so Kiya :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting H. Astronomy would be fascinating but am sure it takes lots of precision to 'get' something into view that is lightyears away.

Does his microscope have any photographic abilities? Can he get a photo of what he is seeing?
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL, he is hoping to be able to photograph distant galaxy's and has purchased a very expensive 'peltier' cooled camera for extra long exposures (maybe over several nights) it can be cooled down to -30 degrees. The reason I built him the supporting pier is so he gets absolutely no movement whatsoever, it probably weighs about half a tonne with the concrete base. If you look at the white painted part just above the green support (ignoring the telescope itself on the right) then that is a very sophisticated tracking mechanism that is computer controlled (you can maybe see the electrical controll box and cables) and can keep a constant track on any celestial object from the comfort of his man cave. He is already trying to con me into doing some editing on his images (if he ever gets any :lol: )
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@H - Geez that telescope + camera = $$$$$$$$$$$$ and counting however am sure IF he gets a photo it could be ground breaking.

Out of curiosity and since you said his photos will happen over several days - does this rig stay outside or is it set up to take a photo over a few days then come down? Am thinking if it does go in and out the house it would need all sorts of calibrations each time it is moved in and out.

Can't even envision the type of camera he is using nor can I envision how a photo can be captured over that length of time without having to manually or maybe automatically shutting the entire camera down during the day and then re-powering it back up. Am sure IF there are results they'd be phenomenal but the technology is beyond my ability to figure out.

IF he gets a photo what colours do you figure will be in it? Is star taking full spectrum colour-wise? Maybe I'm naïve but I always envision the stars to be shades of white, silver, deep purple, deep blue, black and shades of grey.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

LLL I am no expert on this but here are the best anawers I can give you:

1. It can be left out and he has some sort of cover for it plus an insulated sleeve that goes over the telescope part to stop it fogging.

2. Yes it does need to be calibrated if it is moved, but that is not so bad as he has some sort of software that looks at the 'Pole Star' and then locks onto it, after that it knows where all the other astral bodies are positioned in the sky.

3. I do believe that if the photo's exposure is over the one evening, then it is interupted as the telescope can only travel through a certain arc before having to return to its start position again.

4. As to the actual photographs, well the camera is 'mono' and not colour. The reason being that a mono camera can capture around 4 times the detail than can a colour camera can, in addition they are filtered to see only certain gases. Each gas would give a different image and each image can be coloured to make it stand out, so you may have a red, blue, white set of images. Next you would 'stack' all these (maybe thousands) of images on top of each other and turn them into one 'coloured' image something like this one. (not my image)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Wow! Your friend has an expensive hobby :o looking at the picture again I do hope he is by passing his aerial ;)