What AM I doing Today in the World?

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: What AM I doing Today in the World?

Post by Horus »

Good luck with your hospital visit :up

Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Grandad, that is very bad about your phone battery! I don't use my mobile much but it only needs charging approx. once every 10 days to 2 weeks. However, I do have that problem with my laptop! I'm lucky if it lasts an hour. :-(
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Well, I got back 'A' phone, not sure if it is mine or a new one. Just delivered in a plain box with no films on the screen etc but, when I switched it on it was like a new phone with the set up procedure, language etc. Also all my contacts and apps had gone so I don't know if they simply completely reset to factory settings or it is a new phone. Time will tell.....

First thing was to transfer all my contacts from my standby phone to the 'new' one via Google. At least that worked instantly....
:gg:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

As a PS. I just had a call from the hospital advising me that they have an urgent case and will have to reschedule me. I don't have a problem with that, I would always accept that where cardiac is concerned, they will make the best decision when it comes to prioritising patients....
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Grandad wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am With an indicated 50+% when I went to bed the battery was completely flat about 10 hours later just on standby with no apps running. That shouldn't be.
We will see. :?
I would have said that's very good, even if you have no apps running, there are many things running in the background like google services that run android, services for fetching your notifications, emails amongst other things :)

My Samsung Galaxy S9 would be around 15hrs on 100% battery
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

@DJKeefy
Keefy, my backup phone is a rather old Samsung Galaxy S3. That only loses about 15% overnight and that was what I was using as a yardstick. They didn't give any report when they posted the phone back so I shall see if there is any change. I do actually like the phone, just thought the battery seemed suspect.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

'Replacement' phone only lost 5% in 10 hours overnight. When I re-installed some apps, a question came up asking 'am I using a new phone' suggesting that it is not my original phone. It would have helped if O2 had sent a report with the return.... :( .
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

I am now convinced that O2 either sent me a new phone or fitted a new battery to my original phone. I fully charged it Tuesday evening, made sure no apps were running in the background, and it only recorded 5% battery loss overnight.
Didn't use it much yesterday and it dropped overnight from 84 to 74%.
Modest use today, Thursday, and now at 3pm it is showing 55% which suggests it will go 2 to 3 days with my moderate usage. I am not like the young folks who have their phone grafted on to their hand :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't yet have a smart phone, only my old clam shell flip phone and if it lasts out when turned on for two days I'm thrilled. I usually walk around with it turned off just so I can eek out the battery longer.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Most phones will show as charged for days when just in the standby mode, the problem is when you actually use them. Depending upon how you use it then the power can drop very quickly, I have an i-phone and it will stay charged up for several days, but if I use the 'Facetime' video call option when chatting to my mate (as I often do) then you can see the power dropping, the same goes if you have a long chat with someone, so the charge figure is only a guide for an unused phone to stay active.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Yes I understand that H. That is why I sent it back, because it was losing at least an indicated 50% overnight. But they have done something so I am happy now
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My 'best' electronic device for holding a charge has been my Kindle Fire (the original version). If I'm on wifi roam and about town will run down in a day however if I am reading a book it seems to last forever. The clam shell phone, probably cause I don't talk alot on the phone anyway, can show a full charge and then after a single call be right down to almost needing plugged in. I keep thinking I probably need to get a better phone aka Smart phone.

Today I'm 'hoping' the floor layer will finish up and will give a hand putting the furniture basically back to where it belongs. There are really only two bedroom pieces that I absolutely can't move by myself. Even hard to shove them and I'm not going to shove them across the new floor however it'll sure be nice to get the house back together.

I've now got everything plant-wise outside. Did have to toss out 2 ferns - they're tossed to the back and might come back but we had one of the coldest weather snaps ever this past winter and both of these being in smallish pots probably froze.

Watching the TV News now - and our Ottawa area (back east) is under water. The daughter is out of harms way but so many are losing and in dire threat of losing their homes. Making it worse is that there is still snow. Nothing worse that the combination of snow and water - wet cold is just bone chillingly awful.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Our weather is up and down, lovely a couple of weeks ago, now its really cold again.
Kindles are great if you are just reading, that is because once the page is loaded then it takes almost no power to keep it visible on the screen and as you say you can read forever.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

A bit more techie stuff.
We used or regular taxi company for the trip to the supermarket this morning. When I phoned them for a return car I was told it would be 25 to 30 minutes. I declined and called another company that we only use infrequently.
Car arrived in about 5 minutes, nice friendly and chatty driver who put the bags in the boot and then took them to the front door. :up
When I called for a car I only gave my surname and name of our road, not even my first name or the full postal address.

When I checked my emails there was one from the company thanking me for using their service and, more surprising, an email with VAT receipt for the fare (which I paid in cash) complete with my full postal address, my full name, my mobile number and my email address.
As I said, when I called I just gave my surname and road name so where did all the other info come from??? A bit scary because it probably means that the company has access to some personal information that I am not aware of. :?
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I can shed a light on that, Grandad! DH has to renew his car insurance soon so he phoned John Lewis to get a quote. He went through all the rigmarole e.g. Name, address, age, car reg. no etc. and when the woman asked for his email address, he told her he didn't have one. Whereupon she stated that she couldn't give him a quote without an email address! He was even asked if he could borrow someone else's PC! What makes it even worse is that we already have home insurance with them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Still got the central heating on, hailstones yesterday and the temperature barely making it into double digits. :(

What home grown plants I have are spending most of the time on my workshop bench because it has been so cold. I did put them out on Friday to get some light and air but the squirrels found them and did their best to up root a few :xx

Will call on #1 son to take us to the garden centre on Wednesday to get what we need for the new season. We are hoping to find a couple of shrubs to reduce the number of pots that we fill each year. Our hostas are growing well but some are already showing signs of being eaten. There are absolutely no slug trails so we are at a loss to work out what is eating them???

Nothing planned for today except, like most of the country, we will be watching the final episode of 'Line of Duty'. Who will turn out to be top dog 'H', certainly not Chief Superintendent Hastings..........or could he be ?????? :lol:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Never watched a single episode Grandad :tk
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

This is series 5, Horus. One of the best police dramas on TV. All about corruption within the force. Gripping stuff and over 10 million are following it (But that leaves over 50 million who are not ;) )
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

No spoilers please, Grandad! I was one of the 50 million who did NOT watch it, but owing to public acclaim, I have found the whole lot on iPlayer, so I have started from series 1. I'm getting there! :D
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I've watched "Line of Duty" (only broadcast up to end of Season 3 here) and it was fantastic.