Today I was fruit shopping

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Today I was fruit shopping

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Went to a small town up north of Nuevo Vallarta today to San Pancho. En route the bus stopped at a roadside fruit stand. Bought and drank a coconut. Love those! The little bananas have way more flavour then the larger ones we get in our grocery stores.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Today I was fruit shopping

Post by Mad Dilys »

I tried hard to find a supplier of pineapple plants in Egypt, without success. Even the huge nurseries who import and export from South Africa. So I thought I would use the tops of the pineapples we often had at home.

With the exception of two which I managed to get going and my garden staff managed to drown, every single pineapple had the top pierced - it was by human hand. They had been spiked by a thin skewer through their growing point, very precisely. I assume it was to protect their particular big juicy variety from being grown by other hands.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

That is very interesting MD that somebody would have taken the time and effort to pierce out a pineapple. This is how lots of them are sold here in Mexico - just on a table. Don't know if you can tell from the photo or not IF the center is pierced but I truly don't think so. Pineapple almost seems to be stable here and is everywhere.

These are some signs around and about San Pancho. Very small, very quiet little residential town that has a small tourist economy going. Most tourists who come to this town stay for a month or two and most of the rentals are small flats (no hotels) and there is 1 hostel.

Being right on the water with a naturally phenomenal beach makes them a natural for tourists

The banyon tree is in the middle of the town with the restaurnt behind it.

Lots of Huicol beaded art everywhere in this area. It is all beautiful but the time it takes to position and set each bead makes it not only intricate but super expensive too! I have other Mexican art and while I admire the dedication to keep this art form going I don't have any of it.

Lots of houses in San Pancho have different decorated doors (kinda a shame to paint solid wood doors)

Iron street benches have intricate designed backs.

I've never noticed this form of decoration anywhere else before but these are two pillars like palm trees made with cement put/woven/added to them and then scupted out. Quite interesting patio pillar posts.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Lovely pictures LLL, interesting and colourful. I usually find a picture that stands out for me. That would be the parasols on the beach. I would have that hanging in my home. Love it :up
:gg:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Impossible to tell if the pineapple tops have been stabbed until you dress the top for planting - obviously a lot of the outside leaves have to be removed. Funnily enough I've only seen the stabbing wounds on big fruit. :tk
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

LLL lovely and interesting photos , love the tree one :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Me too, but it looks a bit scary, as if it's going to walk off. :lol:
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Just had another look at your pictures LLL. I also like the Banyan tree. I even wonder if they drop those shoots, that root into the ground, to support the branches which tend to spread very widely.
Keep 'em coming LLL, not much else going on right now, no murders or extra marital affairs or anything exciting :lol:
Hopefully Kiya will keep us entertained shortly with her pictures from her SkyDive in Vegas ;) ;) :lol:
:gg:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

Grandad wrote:Just had another look at your pictures LLL. I also like the Banyan tree. I even wonder if they drop those shoots, that root into the ground, to support the branches which tend to spread very widely.
Keep 'em coming LLL, not much else going on right now, no murders or extra marital affairs or anything exciting :lol:
Hopefully Kiya will keep us entertained shortly with her pictures from her SkyDive in Vegas ;) ;) :lol:
Yes they are used to support the tree.......These trees end up looking upside down because of the way the roots fan out from the trunk towards the ground, like branches. When aerial roots grow like this they are called stilt roots or prop roots. Banyan trees are notoriously strange looking because of their aerial roots.