Autonomous shuttle bus

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Autonomous shuttle bus

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Reading an article about an autonomous shuttle bus that has been designed by a Japanese company to be used in all weather conditions in Finland. This is a public shuttle bus where there is NO driver or specified front or back. There is built in intelligence to sense obstacles, road conditions etc.

All in all it is an interesting idea - BUT - would I ever actually get into a moving vehicle on a city street with traffic flying past that has NO driver?? Would you?

What is actually going to happen when the human factor is removed? Would you really be safe? How safe would you really feel?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Autonomous shuttle bus

Post by Mad Dilys »

:a40: No way would I go near one!
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Could well be better than some of the drivers on the road. ;)
Many cars have some built in automation already. My #2 son has a Mazda 6 and if anything passes in front OR he approaches too close to another vehicle, the brakes are automatically applied.
I actually believe that we will see far more automated transport, there is plenty already without us realising. Look at all the shuttles at large international airports around the world, completely automatic. London underground still has drivers but not Hong Kong or Tokyo and probably many others like The Emirates.
So, if we could look ahead as little as 50 years I believe we would see vastly different types of vehicles on our roads.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

My car will automatically apply brakes if I get to close and it also has a beep going on if I cross a line on the road (but that only works if I'm going fast than 30km).

I don't mind all the driverless trams, shuttles and buses if they're on a fixed track. I'm not too sure though about a rubber tire so to speak vehicle that drives along a road. I'd also be particularly worried in Finland given their weather and I'm specifically talking snow & ice. Again I don't mind the fixed track vehicles but I'm not too sure about free wheeling around the countryside although this autonomous shuttle in Finland was running a route (but still????)
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

So we will probably end up with single tracks along all roads that the driverless vehicles would follow, with automatic points where the vehicles program changes direction.
Sounds a bit like those old sci fi comic images. What fascinates me is that so much of the imagination in those old comics has in fact come to pass. Visionary people those writers and artists :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I don't mind getting onto fixed track vehicles that are in urban settings or relatively protected from the elements however this set up that is slated for Finland is talking about rural routes. Granted the routes would be fixed but not too sure that cyber-wise all contingencies would be thought of.

Time will tell however am sure we'll see lots of new and different things there were only in the sci-fi fantasy shows of yesteryear.

I remember Star Trek in particular when they communicated throughout the space ship "wirelessly." From memory they tapped their chest and talked. Now we're doing close to the same thing with all the new wireless technologies out there.

Still waiting to be transported though. Once they get that technology down I'll be coming for afternoon tea (just warning OR maybe threatening!! ;) )
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Still waiting to be transported though. Once they get that technology down I'll be coming for afternoon tea (just warning OR maybe threatening!! ;) )
I'll put the kettle on LLL :lol: :lol:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Definitely get the kettle and the exact coordinates of your house. Wouldn't want to inadvertently pop into your neighbours place by mistake. :o :o

I'm fascinated by all the advances we've made since my Grannie & Grandpa's time. I see "me" as being in-between generations who basically had horse & buggies or foot transport, no mass communication other than a town crier to now where the Grandkids aren't even going to be taugh cursive as they don't need to know.

WE are the in-between group who has a foot in the past (we first hand know what was) and are seeing what will be though the eyes of our Grandkids.

Not sure if this is a scary place to be but WE are there and can give first hand accounts. Soon what we know is going to be gone and given the present PC crowd everything we know or knew will be wiped out as this present crew seem to really want to change history.