And the Dance went on

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

And the Dance went on

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I know I'm mentioned the Granddaughter is into Highland Dancing. She has only danced since September but today was her first real recital.

The first was a serious sword dance.

The second morphed into a Grinch Stole Christmas routine ending back with Grinch head gear in a kilt! ;)

We're in seventh heaven when our feet are moving! I also think she loved the makeup and hair style as much as the actual dance.

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: And the Dance went on

Post by Grandad »

Very cute LLL. She is really into it
:gg:
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Awe ! she looks though she really is enjoying herself :)

The 2nd photo reminded me of a saying here............" Red and Green should never be seen except on a Scottish Tartan "
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

She is definitely into dancing. She loves to show everybody her dance. She is 5 and just started so isn't really dancing 'well' yet but soon should be. I think the next recital (which I believe is June) should be much more exciting to see as by then with a year of fast moving feet under her belt she should be 'doing her moves'!
Kiya
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Kiya »

Looking forward to seeing more photos :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

The biggest difficulty here is finding the kilts and outfits. The daughter lucked into this one as it was a used passed down outfit from another dancer. Most of the outfits here are second hand although the Teacher/Dance Instructor Lady has quite a few kilts and outfits she has collected and acquired over the years.

There is one store over on the mainland called "Tartan Town" but the $$$ price $$$ of kilts/vests/socks/blouses is sufficient to give you a case of the vapours (however if she does continue and dance well we'll get it all figured out)
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

We do have one in the UK called The Edinburgh Woollen Mill - but prices are quite high there. Just don't go looking at the traditional kilt shops in Scotland though! :mo
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Everything that comes into Tartan Town comes directly from Scotland and truly the prices are :a44: :a44: :a44: SKY :a44: :a44: :a44: HIGH.

Apparently as the dancers get older and progress they also compete which is when they need kilts and the entire outfit to correspond to whatever they're dancing. A proper blouse, jacket, socks that match the kilt and on and on.......I'm hoping the Granddaughter really enjoy this and I'm hoping we can find enough second hand outfits :up :up (although even those command a very high price).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Niche markets - I always seem to be on the wrong side of seller /buyer. If I buy something it's expensive even if second hand, but if I sell then there is no interest.

I think your grand daughter is a lovely lucky girl - the disciplines she is learning now will help her through life in so many ways - not the least understanding that discipline is to her advantage.
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@MD - I quite agree re: Granddaughter that that she is doing any activity requiring practice, training, timing, discipline is what is important (and if she likes it bonus). Am cringing though at the cost of the costumes needed for competitions and, as you say, it is one thing to buy something and have it appreciate in price however it is quite another to buy something and then never be able to flog it off for even close to what has been paid.

The twins are into swimming & hockey and liking it but they're not naturally athletically inclined. They're wirey skinny boys but they're not natural athletes. Right now they're writing and publishing a series of written books. The oldest does lots of the writing while the youngest illustrates and writes part of the story under his pictures. Their main character is "Captain Diapers" who does have many adventures but often centered around the house and particularly the bathroom (which elicits lots of laughing).

When I was working I notice many families never had any sort of routine or activities in place. Parents and kids just existed with no focus or standardization to their day. Kids in school unable to manage their day or time. Everybody just reacting in the moment. Doesn't bode well.
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Couldn't you start practising your dressmaking skills on GD's costume now, LLL? That way, when she gets older, you'll be an expert.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@RS - ohhhhhhhh I dunno....... I run a love hate relationship with the sewing machine. Truly when the girls were born roughly 40 yrs ago I had to sew everything so essentially I can sew most anything including blue jeans with all the stitching IF I must. Finding fabric was the task way back when but there were many more small family owned stores that sold material. Now there are very few places to find fabric and the couple (as in 2) stores here charge an arm and a leg for anything. Batik cottons run $26/meter. I have no idea the cost of tartan(if I could find it anyway) but I'm betting it would be close to the cost of buying an imported kilt. AND if I snipped something incorrect I'd die. Literally I'd hit the floor and be dead! ;)

I truly do hear what you're saying and if it was easy for me to do I'd be doing it but sourcing the fabrics, braid, leather buckles etc wouldn't be fun and/or happy for me. There is a lady just across the US border in the first little town who has for 40 years made kilts for the Highland dance troupe she has there. It is my full intention to meet up with her at some point and get a sense of her prices and what she is actually making. No idea where she is getting her fabric from but obviously somewhere and maybe she has a direct pipeline to Scotland and is importing direct or ? She advertises as making competitive outfits and that suits me.

AND - I'm talking on here like outfitting the Granddaughter is MY problem (I help) but really this is up to her Mom (daughter) and Dad. I love to be involved and help all I can but they enrolled her so the bottom line is up to her.

What I am thinking of making though for the twins and granddaughter IF I can find courdoroy are matching vests (but I can't find the fabric) or any kind of brocade/velvet here ...... we are really fabric impoverished. Mostly I find what I sew with in Thrift stores! Sounds sad but that is the way to go. And nobody here sells patterns either. There was one store that is now closed and they had patterns but the price of a pattern (clothing pattern is sky high). Again here most patterns are bought in Thrift stores and there is quite an active trade in them in the Thrifts.

I've finished THREE twin bed size quilts for the Grandkids for Christmas (will post photos soon) and have been sorting through my stash this morning as I have some fabric that I'm going to deep six but quilts are my 'thing' to do now (although soon as I find a vest pattern I'm gonna made some for the crew)