Brexit

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Brexit

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Our morning news featured Brexit today (we've been quite quiet on the matter) indicating another vote could possibly be happening. No other real commentary.

THEN our Gov't, as per the TV News, has now issued a "Travel Warning" for those traveling to the UK indicating there could be "civil unrest" due to Brexit talks and encourages Canadians to "be careful & alert" if going there!!

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

The Brexit Spring is coming LLL, there will be total anarchy and revolution. A state of emergency will be declared and the army will be mobilised to keep the peace. ;)

But Horus, what baffles me is that so many pro Brexit MP's are voting against the deal. And MP's that represent constituencies that voted to leave should support the deal. They are elected representatives of the people but many vote against :xx

As you said earlier, sack the bl**dy lot...
:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Many are against May's deal because it is a sell out, it commits the UK to hand over vast sums of money with no guaranteed outcome to come to any trade deal, they will still stand on their ‘four freedoms’. The worst aspect is the ‘Backstop’ agreement that they are insisting upon which basically means that until the Northern Ireland border is resolved (to their satisfaction) we would be kept in the EU indefinitely, we have no unilateral option to leave. How dare this bunch of unelected Euro commissioners try and tell the worlds 5th largest economy and a sovereign nation in its own right with one of the oldest democratic governments what we can and cannot do. Their solution would basically divide our United Kingdom at their behest. If they are so certain that the ‘backstop’ would not be used, then simple, remove it from the withdrawal agreement and the deal would have been passed easily at the first vote, they brought this upon themselves by refusing to compromise something they have not done in any way shape or form from the very beginning.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

Click the link to listen once more to all the liar MPs
https://www.facebook.com/raheemkassam/v ... 346364294/
Holter

Post by Holter »

As much as I dislike the EU, I'm not putting this on them. This one's on Britain. It seems to me that all this is just for show and all the MPs are trying to create chaos in order to have another referendum.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Hi Holter welcome to the board, nice to see a fresh face. :up

I think you have a very good point - it is entirely Britain's fault for going into the EU so we can't really blame them if we want to leave it. But though the MPs do want another referendum I think they are even more interested in feathering their nests at home and hoping to do better for themselves, not their party in a new election.

Unfortunately for them, blinded by their own self interest they forget, but the voting public remembers those who were untrustworthy and voted this way today and tomorrow that way swinging and shifting really doesn't impress the voters.

I am amazed that Boris Johnson is ever taken seriously on any subject as until recently he couldn't even get himself a haircut and became known as a bumbling fool. I see nothing that he has ever done of merit though I'd be pleased to be proved wrong. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Good to see you Holter and welcome to the forum. You seem to be well informed and that suggests to me that you may be an expat living in the US?
I don't agree that the chaos is aimed at creating a situation where another referendum is the only answer, at least I hope not. That would cause a lot of unrest in the UK and kill any trust and respect for ELECTED politicians.
There are genuine problems with the deal and somewhere there have got to be compromises.
The Eire/Ulster border remains a major sticking point. If we have an open border there, the UK remains tied to the EU, possibly for ever, and that nobody wants.
If we have a hard border which would seriously effect trade and movement of people across the border AND risk a revival of the Northern Ireland problems that were solved with the Good Friday Agreement, something else that nobody wants.
So it is sounding as if we may end up with a so called 'Soft Brexit' where we remain in the customs union which would make us still very much part of the EU.
That would not be acceptable either, see Horus's video link.
SO, I don't know the answer but another referendum is certainly NOT the answer.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

With reference to Ireland I have to declare a bias as both sides of my family are firmly based in Ireland. A united independent Ireland is a wonderful dream.
Smile! It confuses people
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Mad Dilys wrote:A united independent Ireland is a wonderful dream.
That would solve the Brexit problems MD but I fear we will never see it happen. :(