Ryder Cup

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Ryder Cup

Post by Grandad »

I played golf in the distant past and enjoy the big events like the Open and the Ryder Cup.
Great result for Europe today by winning 17 1/2 to 10 1/2 against the USA. I don't rate football as a skillful game but I DO see a lot of skill in individual games like golf and snooker, and even darts now that they have improved the image of the game.
Well done Europe :up

:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Can't say I've ever watched a golf game on TV or even on a golf course but do appreciate there is quite a high level of skill needed to get a small ball in a cup yards and yards or meters and meters away. Lots of factors to consider. Have a gf who was also a former coworker and her son is extremely good at golf and won quite a few tournaments.

I've tried snooker probably 3 times in my life and while I can see the angles etc I can't do it but again can appreciate the high skill level it requires to sink balls.

I haven't played darts in over two decades but was pretty decent way back when. Nowadays in pubs here there are very few dart boards. In the good old days brass and then tungsten darts were used with plastic flights and were pretty accurate but now using darts with plastic points is not terribly accurate at all.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

Plastic points LLL? Where did that come from? What next, Velcro darts? :lol: :lol:

But when it comes to skill, I think to score a maximum 147 in snooker is about as skilful as sport gets.
:gg:
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I have no idea how they score snooker but 147 sounds like an impressive score.

In darts a couple times I got all three darts into the triple 20 (but never into the bulls eye).
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

I wasn't built for sports, but I enjoyed netball and would get to school early to practice shooting. I didn't fall over in netball. :oops:

I was a member of the Rifle Club in my teens and got good scores, but unless obedience training dogs counts as a sport I'm just a Clutz! :lol:
Smile! It confuses people
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

In my High School Days I was also good enough to make all the teams but I was definitely never a star. I don't think I ever had the killer instinct to win as I was always just happy enough to play the game.

I think of athletes like, for example, Serena Willams or Martina Navratilova and wonder about them personally in that I wonder if the drive to win comes across in other areas of their lives as well as on the field?