A Wave of Poppies

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Re: A Wave of Poppies

Post by Horus »

You will be more than welcome to join in, :up we talk about all sorts on here so feel free to chuck anything you feel will be of interest into the pot. We all enjoy pictures and interesting things so just jump in, we do know that many more people also read without commenting and just wish that they too would break the ice as you have done. It is not a clique, although with just a few of us chatting amongst ourselves it may seem that way, but everyone is welcome :)

Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

So I guess that is all cleared up now then. Again thank you Horus for introducing us to the splendid display of Weeping Window at Middleport.

I now wish I had bought one of the poppies or perhaps it should have been two. In addition to my grandfather; my great uncle John also perished at sea when HMS Vanguard was torpedoed and sunk on 9 July 1917.

Reflecting on MD's comment, this is a picture of a field of poppies along the Dover road which I spotted when on my way to the Dover archive several years ago. I suppose poppies will always be a symbol of remembrance.

:gg:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I too love to see fields of Poppies, but such a rarity these days. As MD has said they always appear after the earth has been disturbed with the seeds lying dormant in the soil for many years, so they seem to spring up when the earth has be torn asunder. No doubt that after the tragedy of human beings dying in their tens of thousands in shell torn trenches and landscapes, then for people to see these long dormant seeds springing forth with their blood red flowers as if to hide the carnage of war from our eyes that they became a poignant reminder and a symbol of what has passed.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Welcome HurgadaPat! We're mostly friendly and truly appreciate anybody who cares to join in :) :) :)

I wish he had some Poppy displays here. Best we get are a few centerpieces set up around the base of a couple statues downtown. Most people here still wear Poppies they buy from the Vets at the stores selling them.
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Welcome HurgadaPat! We're mostly friendly and truly appreciate anybody who cares to join in :) :) :)
MOSTLY FRIENDLY LLL??? Always friendly I think.......this is the green side not the blue side :lol: :lol:
Ruby Slippers
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Ruby Slippers »

They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning we will remember them.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Yeah Grandad - "mostly friendly" here means we're friendly ...... but I guess you could see it as we're usually friendly implying sometimes we're not :P :P

I'm MOSTLY friendly when described here, occasionally cranky but I can easily attribute that to OLD age and therefore NOT to me! ;) and really I'm on the BROWN side (as that it the colour L4U shows here - although I think Keefy has said it is supposed to be gold)

On another note - do we still even have a RED side? Is the RedSea4U still up and running?
Grandad
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Grandad »

OMG LLL, what do you know about old age.......nothing yet methinks ;)

As for the forum colour, I guess you could describe the background colour as yellow/gold but the frames and separation bars are a sort of taupe on my screen.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ohhh - I dunno re: old age. Just back from the Optometrist today and I had to have my prescription changed up cause as I'm getting "OLDer" the eyesight is reflecting this ;) AND then when I went to get my flu shot I now had to get the OLD person shot (as the pharmacist referred to it) cause I'm now 65 so need to get all the OLD people shots too :!:
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I always refer to this as the Gold side :up as to the RedSea site I think it still exists although I never visit and I don't think any others do :?:
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

The red side was the one i started on in 2009 which was the year after i returned to the UK from Hurghada,used to be very good on there but for some reason or other it just slowly died the death...sadly.
I moderate on a world wide expat forum which used to be extremely busy but some of the countries on there are now also really quiet....Egypt being one of them,possibly because after the revolution many expats returned home and also now you have all the hassle with renewing your visa and the inconsistencies that go with it so think a lot of people have just given up and either returned home or moved on to another country.
Horus
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God

Post by Horus »

I think that is the general trend and sometimes members on other forums constantly whinge about falling membership and lack of comments, but they fail to realise that for many people the interest in places such as Egypt has seriously waned. It is usually kept going by small groups like this that keep a friendly chatty forum with diverse interests. :)
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Talking about the RedSea4U and even Luxor4U - didn't there used to be an icon somewhere on, for example, this page where you could quickly switch between Forums? I don't think I've been on RedSea for years and actually really never went there much anyway.

@HurgadaPat - on the world Forum what are the other countries? Just curious. Are they all basically in the middle east area? (I'm guessing yes). I kinda wonder if Expats generally had much difficulty getting themselves re-situated back home or if it was a fairly easy process? Because I was working away in the USA although I started the paperwork for pensions 7 months prior to me turning wanting them to start it has now taken them 10 months after my indicated start date to get them going. I actually just two days ago finally got the first cheque. Am very glad I wasn't a little old lady eating cat food waiting on this but apparently some of the delay was cause I was 'out of country' for so long and they had to "figure out" or "factor in" my absence from here. Makes me curious if other Expats have similar issues.
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Talking about the RedSea4U and even Luxor4U - didn't there used to be an icon somewhere on, for example, this page where you could quickly switch between Forums? I don't think I've been on RedSea for years and actually really never went there much anyway.

@HurgadaPat - on the world Forum what are the other countries? Just curious. Are they all basically in the middle east area? (I'm guessing yes). I kinda wonder if Expats generally had much difficulty getting themselves re-situated back home or if it was a fairly easy process? Because I was working away in the USA although I started the paperwork for pensions 7 months prior to me turning wanting them to start it has now taken them 10 months after my indicated start date to get them going. I actually just two days ago finally got the first cheque. Am very glad I wasn't a little old lady eating cat food waiting on this but apparently some of the delay was cause I was 'out of country' for so long and they had to "figure out" or "factor in" my absence from here. Makes me curious if other Expats have similar issues.
If you click on "expat country forums" at the top of the page it gives you a drop down list of all the countries........https://www.expatforum.com/expats/egypt ... ing-egypt/

I personally had no problems in settling back into the UK, I never gave up my house,just rented it out.Had to re-register with the doctor and my pension was all sorted while living in Egypt as i had all the papers sent to my brother who then passed them onto one of my sons who brought them out to Egypt, I filled them in and took them back to UK and posted them for me so all pretty easy.Only problem is if you claim your pension while living in Egypt it is frozen as long as you remain there.
LovelyLadyLux
Egypt4u God
Egypt4u God
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@HurghadaPat - I wonder what the rationale of freezing a pension while you're in Egypt would be? I would almost think if you're maintaining a residence in the UK and filing everything there etc etc etc it would be easier for the Powers that Be to just keep all the Pensions flowing the same.

I was "Temporarily" (emphasis on Temprorarily) out of country for 13 yrs based on the now recently defunct NAFTA. I lived & worked in the USA. It was always a condition of employment that NAFTA was only ever temporary hence I had to maintain a residence, phone, bank accounts, drivers licence etc etc etc in Canada. I did all that only to find out on return that my Old Age Security Pension has been degraded from a whopping $569/month to $522/month as I was 'out of country' ...... so even though you follow all the rules and cross all the t's and dot all the i's it still comes back to bite you. NOT that I'm losing sleep over the $40+ $$$ it is more just the principle of the thing that even though you follow all the rules the Gov't then decides to do whatever it wants anyway.

Hope you and all the other Expats have been able to EASILY get all pensions and stuff sorted on your return to the UK.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Mad Dilys »

Mine was frozen as I was out of the country for more than 13 weeks in the year, though I had accommodation landline bank etc and spent a total of 6months at least in UK in total. I hadn't noticed until I had been back some time when I had a missive from the Pensions folk asking me to contact them as I was getting below the statutory rate. They could only back date it three months but gave me a lump sum for that and upped me about 15% monthly for which I'm grateful. Nice when someone does their job properly to benefit another person.
Smile! It confuses people
Hurghadapat
United Kingdom

Post by Hurghadapat »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@HurghadaPat - I wonder what the rationale of freezing a pension while you're in Egypt would be? I would almost think if you're maintaining a residence in the UK and filing everything there etc etc etc it would be easier for the Powers that Be to just keep all the Pensions flowing the same.

I was "Temporarily" (emphasis on Temprorarily) out of country for 13 yrs based on the now recently defunct NAFTA. I lived & worked in the USA. It was always a condition of employment that NAFTA was only ever temporary hence I had to maintain a residence, phone, bank accounts, drivers licence etc etc etc in Canada. I did all that only to find out on return that my Old Age Security Pension has been degraded from a whopping $569/month to $522/month as I was 'out of country' ...... so even though you follow all the rules and cross all the t's and dot all the i's it still comes back to bite you. NOT that I'm losing sleep over the $40+ $$$ it is more just the principle of the thing that even though you follow all the rules the Gov't then decides to do whatever it wants anyway.

Hope you and all the other Expats have been able to EASILY get all pensions and stuff sorted on your return to the UK.

This link will explain it easier then i can.........https://www.fox-moving.com/will-you-sti ... ve-abroad/

Mine also was reimbursed from the day i arrived back in the UK,but i had to prove to them i was now what they class as a habitual resident,which was just a case of answering a whole load of questions,but apart from that i was able to settle back in UK very easily.